Chat No new RT1295 based F/W since January for the "X" series?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X10' started by videobruce, Apr 5, 2019.

1. videobruce

videobruce Member

There is a new version for the replacement Z10 (w/ the 1296 chipset);
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/new-firmware-v2-2-56-beta-version-for-zidoo-z10-release.48114/

But, nothing for the 'X' series. Which begs the question, are they done with this older series?? :(

2. videobruce

videobruce Member

The difference between the two chipsets surely isn't worth the upgrade. One eSATA (external) port and a 2nd USB3. The other electronic components are almost the same.

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

In fact the FW on old series currently works better than on the new series. So all development goes to the new series to iron-out the bugs that came after porting the FW to the new 1296 chipset. Still all beta versions what has been released. Who can really blame Zidoo for that strategy? I am pretty convinced the old series won't be forgotten.

Seen all the problems with the new FW the SOC differences appear not to be that small as they actually are causing Zidoo a lot of troubles. At the end i do expect the platform to be somewhat better. The last FW lets me play UHD+HDR+Atmos from USB3 HDD without stuttering. All my players had problems with that combination.

4. Blackbeen

Blackbeen Member

At this point I'd bail for a Egreat A10 if I had money to spend.

5. futeko.com

futeko.com Active Member

That would be insane. Egreat's firmware development is slow bordering on non-existent.

DELUCAS likes this.
  6. Blackbeen

Blackbeen Member

Whereas Zidoo's firmware development is consistently buggy.

7. zarathoestra

zarathoestra Active Member

Be my guest but i had one and to compare with the zap, zidoo and the dune this was the worst. PQ was the only thing to remember all the rest was a real mess.. Glad i got rid of it:rolleyes:

DELUCAS likes this.
  8. Blackbeen

Blackbeen Member

All I'm saying is that I'm not likely going to buy another Zidoo product as it has to worst track record of any box I've owned, as far as I can tell all these android boxes are buggy junk.

9. zarathoestra

Depends of what you are doing with it movies and series ok , apps , music better on your smartphone ..

10. futeko.com

futeko.com Active Member

The nature of an open forum tends to exaggerate problems. Most people have been happily using their Zidoo products, including those based on Realtek 1296, since launch.

It's to Zidoo's credit that they have an open English language forum and have shown themselves able and willing to fix problems and provide continuous improvements.

Compare to Egreat, who have been promising an Android 7 firmware for more than 2 years and have yet to deliver. We used to sell Egreat products because the HiSilicon chipset is very capable, but Egreat appear incapable of delivering improvements or fixes for their products. You can check their own forum if you like: http://en.egreatworld.com/comunity/index.php

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    zarathoestra and DELUCAS like this.
  11. Blackbeen

Blackbeen Member

Barely OK, as I've said before Blu-Ray playback is hit or miss If not for 4k/HDR I would just default back to my Popcorn Hour C-200, I don't use these boxes for music & I would trade all the Android bells & whistles for a stable, non glitchy BD player.

12. zarathoestra

13. Blackbeen

Blackbeen Member

Yeah, dare I express anything other than glaring false praise on a user help forum, off to the corn field with anyone expressing actual user experience. :rolleyes:

14. zarathoestra

Accusing for false praise is rather radicale step , i mentioned it already to others having issues with this box and similar to my experience with the E-great , nothing is gonna change your mind even if tomorrow everything works fine . Sell it or burn it or even smash it to a wall your relation with a zidoo machine is permanently damaged. Maybe it's time to move on and try your luck elsewhere .. Apple Tv ?

15. Nice Monkey

My real user experience here for Z9S:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...c-dvd-bd-and-uhd-bd-playback-fw-2-2-56.48237/
    FW related experiences for all RTD1296 models and most are valid for RTD1295 models too.

Zidoo players are actually quite good and I agree with Futeko here. Strong complains about often small things and people wanting to install always the latest FW. Betas offer the latest enhancements but mostly come with new and even old bugs regularly.

It may take a long period between stable/standard releases but if one wants stability then that is the strategy to follow. "If it is not broken don't fix it" is the motto then.

@zarathoestra
    As is today Zidoo Music Player 3.0 will beat a smartphone using speakers. No need for a TV as it can be controlled easily using that same smartphone too. I am also running one of the best Music Apps around (sound quality wise) being USB Audio Player Pro on both my smartphone and on my Zidoo. This using earbuds with my smartphone and a quality AMP+speaker set with my Zidoo. The sound is just amazing above all using SACD/DSD with an external DAC (works also with that same smartphone) or Multi-channel audio playing BD Concert/Audio discs, MCH SACD's converted to MCH FLAC or DTS-CD's.

16. Blackbeen

Blackbeen Member

Bullshit, go ahead building your strawmen though, I have a bonfire going, Apple products, yeah sure thing. o_O

17. Blackbeen

Blackbeen Member

There has next to never been a stable/standard release, it's been betas pretty much since day one & basic glitch free playback is not a small thing.

18. Nice Monkey

Frankly all my DVD, BD and UHD play glitch free now as in my Z9S review (not using the remote during playback). But also glitches using the many features are not frequent and are recoverable.

I agree for the RTD1296 Z-series players that there thus far is no real stable release.
    Don't buy a model with a new SOC if you want that. Takes a year to get there.

My X9S used to be stable as a rock.

19. Blackbeen

Blackbeen Member

As far as I'm concerned a manufacture shouldn't SELL a model in half baked beta state, I know that's too much to ask but then don't be surprised when there are complaints from users when things don't work right.

Prometheus likes this.
  20. videobruce

videobruce Member

As I initially stated, coming out with a new model that is almost identical to what it replaces borders on another Chinese 'con job' just to sell product and stop supporting the older model.
    Why was Android chosen instead of Linux as the O/S in the first place? These aren't 'toy phones' here. :confused:

I tried the HiMedia version (Q10) and found this to be the better pick overall of the models that had provision for an internal HDD.

Blackbeen likes this.