New firmware v2.0.5 version(beta) for ZIDOO X9S release

Discussion in 'X9S Official Firmware Releases' started by mirror, Jan 24, 2018.

1. thrang

thrang Member

Is there a way to downgrade firmware? If I select a .zip that is older I’m unable to.

2. gsaronni

gsaronni New Member

thrang likes this.
  3. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I looked into the egreat but it has a serious bug where 23.976 is forced out at 24.000 in 3D, breaking 3D playback.

That's the problem. The Mede8er was an awesome 3D player, but it's aging. There aren't many players out there that seem to do it right, and do UHD. Before I bought my MEde8er I tried both a HiMedia and an Iconbit, and both went back to do serious stutter issues (the 23.976/24.000 1186 chip bug). Mede8er used the same chip but solved the issue. The others didn't, at least not when I was trying them out.

We need some kind of auto frame rate and resolution switching, because all players need to have the option of switching automatically when playing a file in a different frame rate and resolution than you're currently in. The trick is getting it to work right. They did change the naming and functionality of this a couple beta firmwares ago, because out of the box the auto switching was very confusing the way it was named and explained in the menus. So I think they are still giving that area attention.

***** I'm not sure auto frame rate is even working right in my v2.0.15 for my x10. I was playing a 59.940 UHD file and I had video output set to auto and "switch frame rate and resolution" enabled, and it output 30Hz, not 60! Can anybody check to confirm if auto frame rate and resolution is switching properly for various frame rates?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  4. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I agree with everything you said here.

I think we can all agree that the best way to handle the framerate/resolution switching is to do that "behind-the-scenes" so to speak - do it before the video starts playback, like my Mede8er and WDTV does. Then when the video appears, it starts from the very first frame and plays, without needing to flash away again. Right now it's incredibly annoying to start playback, then it flashes black and switches, then continues, losing a good 10 seconds of the video by the time it's all done with switching. When "repeat all" is enabled, it should be a much smoother experience than it is now. As you said, any switching necessary should be before it displays the video. Perhaps if "repeat all" is enabled, it shouldn't reset the frame rate/resolution, so that it wouldn't need to switch each time the next video starts in the folder, unless there's a frame rate or resolution difference from the current file it's playing. As you said, maybe it woulnd't matter if it did the switching more smoothly.

I love your idea of displaying the "Load" message on the front display instead of an annoying pop-up on-screen. That's what the screen is for, after all - giving us information. So instead of an annoying popup, just say "Load" on the front display when it loads a video file. Brilliant idea! I'll mention it in the x10 thread I started.

godalmighty likes this.
  5. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

With 3D being ignored by manufacturers there is a lack of motivation for vendors to provide decent 3D playback support. There are basically three options for quality 3D playback: Intel NUC, Zidoo, or raspberry pi. Unfortunately the Pi lacks 4K HDR. Vero looks promising but they still need to iron out their framepacking support. If zidoo can fix their playback problems then it’ll be the only player that can do 3D and HDR properly...

6. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Exactly. That is why I have not given up hope on this player. It's the reason I bought it in the first place. It's the one player that seems to offer the absolute best 3D playback experience. The other players that gets mentioned frequently (Himedia, Zappiti, Egreat) all have major 3D bugs or missing 3D functionality. Now, if the upcoming Dune HD Pro 4k will also support 3D mkv (right now nobody is sure if they will offer that, as their last player didn't), then maybe that will also be a viable 3D player, but right now, the Zidoo seems to be the one UHD player that offers the best 3D support.

If they can knock off a bunch of these bugs and rough issues, this would be a fantastic player, especially attractive for those needing a player with both 3D and UHD support.

7. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

I tried watching a UHD/HDR movie last night in 444/12bit mode, with "Switch frame rate and resolution" enabled, and there was constant stuttering. After the first 7 or 8 minutes, I finally gave up since I had already seen 4 or 5 stutters. I switched to 422/12bit, and I was able to finish the movie. I believe I saw a few stutters/frame drops during the rest of the film, but nowhere close to what I saw in 444.

There's a serious issue currently in 444/12bit for 2160p. At this point I don't even remember if 1080 444/12bit is also affected. Ziddo need to take this seriously.

I don't know what the drawback is of using 422/12bit for HDR content, over using 444. Could anyone explain? I'm pretty sure 444 is preferred, if the mode worked properly.

8. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Also just noticed the bookmarking option has been moved to Quick Settings where it's easier to find. Thank you!

9. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Or another option is display the Movie title loading “ Blade Runner 2049 “ scrolling across Display .

ursiel likes this.
  10. thrang

thrang Member

I'm confused by the Bookmark option, or perhaps its simply not working. If Bookmark is off, shouldn't the title play from the beginning everytime you launch it? That's not happening for me - it is starting from the last place I stopped watching.

If this is not the feature for this, is there a way to start from the beginning of a file every time? thanks

11. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

On my x10, bookmarking is working on v2.0.15, and the functionality is actually a bit better than previously. I just tested it. With bookmarking enabled, the video returns to where I left off last time the file was playing. With it off, it starts from the beginning. In v 2.0.15, the bookmarking option is where it belongs - under Quick Settings>Playback.

It is a bit sloppy though when first starting playback. With bookmarking enabled, it first starts to play the video from the beginning for the first second, then switches to where you previously left off. It looks sloppy. It would of course be better if it immediately started from where you left off instead of jumping there after it starts playing.

12. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

On my x10 v2.0.15, VFD display does not remember the "close" setting when you reboot. Under Quick settings>Front Display Panel>Brightness setting, it remembers "light" and "dark", but if you select "close", every time you turn reboot, the VFD is back on again. You then need to switch the setting to either "light" or "dark" and back to close again to turn it back off. They may have done this on purpose maybe (?) so the VFD display is on for important info when you reboot the player? An idea to solve this - there could be a new option added - "auto", which could display the VFD when in the interface, but once a video plays, the VFD turns off after a few seconds, then turns on again when stopping playback. For music, it can remain on, since you're likely to want the VFD display for track info. Also - it should not be labeled "Close". This is confusing. It should be labeled "Off".

I think I remember this also being an issue with the x9s.

13. thrang

thrang Member

I wish I could get it to work - I think it works with DVD files, but I only tested a few - UHD and Blu Ray it plays from wherever you last watched, even if the Bookmark feature is off. They should really just add an option in the info screen of the movie - when you press the Play button, be given a menu to play from last position, or from the beginning. This is how physical disc players generally handle this.

I'll give the Zidoo a cold boot and see if that changes anything.

14. litlgi74

litlgi74 Member

Interesting... It is finally working for me in 2.0.15. it didn't work in 2.0.5.

Twenty five pages of issues in this thread alone... And this is one of the only improvements I actually "noticed" that works in 2.0.15.

2.0.15 Update list
    System:
    1,Improve the Stability of system - not noticed
    2,Fix ZDMC port conflicts - not noticed
    3,Add weather in China - not noticed
    4,Fix the setting of front pad can not saved in system - noticed

Player:
    1,Add 4 colors for internal subtitle - not noticed
    2,Optimize the Video information - not noticed
    3,Optimize subtitle downloading - not noticed

Filemanager:
    1,Add SMB v2 - not noticed, since I was forced to switch to NFS

Blu-ray navigation:
    1,Fix failing to display subtitle when there is only one subtite - not noticed still no forced subtitles
    2,Fix failing to choose subtitle in certain movies. - not noticed still no forced subtitles
    3,Optimize 4K Blu-ray navigation - not noticed

Theater:
    1,Fix malfunction of sorting in PC interface. - not noticed
    2,Add a function to zoom in the photo of actors - not noticed
    3,Fix actors can not relate to the movies when it comes Chinese language. - not noticed
    4,Fix the poster don't refresh when changing from PC interface. - not noticed
    5,Add "year" information for search results when rematching movies. - not noticed
    6,Add a Loop mode in the left side bar - not noticed
    7,Improve Accuracy for matching actors - not noticed
    8,Fix locked movies can be opened by certain operation - not noticed
    9,Fix crash problems when scanning - not noticed
    10,Add path and title displaying of movies - not noticed
    11,Add self-association results when re-matching movies - not noticed
    12,Improve UI - not noticed
    13,Add a function to hide useless files - not noticed
    14,Fix crash after reset data - not noticed
    15,Fix removing inoperative - not noticed
    16,Improving movies matching, such as "Lost in Space" match to "Lost in Space 11" - not noticed
    17,Fix crash when unmatched files are too many - not noticed
    18,Fix crash when removing while scanning - not noticed
    19,Optimize unmatching videos UI. - not noticed
    20,Add more scanning ways - not noticed
    21,Add portaits of actors. - not noticed
    22,Fix crashs when scanning certain SMB devices. - not noticed
    23,Add a tag for path which don't want to scan. - noticed but actually adds incorrect scans back into the library :mad:

Control Center:
    1,Add editing for country and movie duration - not noticed
    2,Fix some movies can't re-matching by IMDB - not noticed

Launcher
    1, New UI - noticed
    2,Add changing wallpaper - noticed

Quicksettings:
    1, New UI - noticed
    2,Improve the way of operative - not noticed
    3,Fix "auto"mode don't work in HDMI audio output - not noticed

Onekey Clean:
    1,New UI - not noticed
    2,Fix problems of self-starting management - not noticed
    3,Improve Cleaning - not noticed

Setupwizard:
    1,Improve UI - not noticed

Still no improvement with color banding in native color space and or frame drops and stuttering.

Home Theater still has trouble scraping what Kodi can do with ease.

15. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Which version are you running? On v2.0.15 for my x10, it's working so far with single mkv files.

It's actually far better than the old way it worked. It used to do what you suggested - "They should really just add an option in the info screen of the movie - when you press the Play button, be given a menu to play from last position, or from the beginning". The problem was that is was really annoying how it was implemented, because instead of asking you before it started to play the file, it started playing from where you left off, and while it was playing, a pop-up in the middle of the screen appeared asking you if you want to continue where it is, or play from the beginning. I found that pop-up very annoying and it always ruined a few seconds of the film playing, with the pop-up in the middle of the screen.

The way it is in v2.0.15, if enabled, it automatically starts from where you left off, with a quick pop-up in the upper-right corner of the screen giving you a few seconds to click the pop-up and restart from the beginning. If you don't, the window disappears and the movie continues. It's a much smoother way of handling it, and I like it. I hope they don't change it, because it's nice how it works now. As I said, the only thing that's sloppy is, it starts playing the file for a second from the beginning first, then jumps to where it's supposed to be. Otherwise I like how it doesn't ask anymore. If enabled, it assumes you want it to remember, but still gives you the option in the upper-right corner for a few seconds to start from the beginning.

16. thrang

thrang Member

I'm running 2,015.

It never did as I suggested, so it appears whatever is working on the x10s is NOT working in the X9s

I'm getting no function at all

17. godalmighty

godalmighty Active Member

dear @litlgi74
    i notice the imdb id is work now when you rematch the unmatched poster

18. litlgi74

litlgi74 Member

Thanks for the heads. I'll give it a try when I get home. It was really frustrating to have to delete posters that sraped incorrectly only to have to delete them again.

I'd also love to know why certain television shows only scrape a few seasons when the files are labeled exactly the same.

19. thrang

thrang Member

Do you have ISO files of Blu Ray or UHD rips? I'm curious if the bookmark feature works on this files for you on the X10s

20. ursiel

ursiel Active Member

Yes, I'll give a blu-ray ISO a try this afternoon and report back.