Network playback of 4K MKVs from W10 network share

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by ungus, May 15, 2021.

Tags:
  1. ungus

ungus New Member

How well does the Z9X and/or Z10 Pro, handle the playback of 4K MKVs? (ripped with MakeMKV, avg size 52 GBs) over a gigabit network, via a Windows 10 network share?

Also am I reading this correctly, from the 6.2.5 beta release notes, it is able to playback MKVs with DV profile 7?

1. Added supports for multiple formats of Dolby Vision(non BDmenu mode).
    BD ISO,BDMV P7 MEL & FEL
    MKV,MP4 P4 MEL & FEL
    MKV,MP4 P7 MEL & FEL

Thanks!

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Perfectly. If your network is robust.

I rip UHD discs with MakeMKV and any size, any bitrate will play perfectly from my Western Digital NAS drives over SMB with no playback/frame issues whatsoever. I can stream the 400Mbps jellyfish demo with no issues too.

Can't speak to the vagaries of Windows 10 networking though.

Yes, it plays back Profile 7 DV MEL and FEL using the RPU but FEL playback does not use the video essence of the FEL.

3. ungus

ungus New Member

Great, appreciate the quick feedback. Assumed so about FEL playback, but can't have it all. (so far)

The network is healthy, so if W10 is at fault; a Linux box isn't far away.

Most anxious to use Vertex²'s LLDV EDID exploit with the entire library, verses only using it with DV content from the Nvidia Shield Pro to the PJ.

Occasionally I'll try out a HDR10 Blu-ray via the Sony X800, but that defeats the purpose of the 40TB of ripping work, heh.

4. Markswift2003

Exactly what I do - I have the Zidoo set to LLDV so all material goes through the VS10 engine and outputs in DV - looks great on both my Samsung flatscreen and projector.

It's a real shame the NVidia doesn't do full time LLDV, but then I don't think it has VS10.

5. ungus

ungus New Member

It for sure is.

I assume then; the Vertex is no longer required to handle the lldv edid exploit? Not its only function by any means, a lifesaver for splitting signals and then some. I need to read up on the VS10 engine.

Have you worked with madVR? I’ve been experimenting with it for quite a while (using a 3080). And maybe it’s just me, but I just don’t see the astonishing improvements, I see touted everywhere.

6. Markswift2003

It depends whether you can set HDR manually in the display - the exploit relies on mapping the LLDV signal into a BT.2020 colour space and providing a static PQ gamma matched to the target nits which as we know is exactly what HDR10 is so that means the display has to be in HDR mode.

The Vertex 2 has the ability to send an HDR SEI message when receiving LLDV so tricking the display into HDR but the Zidoo has no such feature (although I've been pushing for it to be added) so you need to be able to manually switch.

So if you can't engage HDR manually at the display you still need a Vertex 2 or similar.

Yes I've messed with MadVR a lot and similarly was rather underwhelmed - don't get me wrong, it's incredibly clever, but certainly not a night and day difference and since it needs a PC, there's no way I would want to be tending to such a time vampire in the cinema - I just want to press a button and watch a movie!