Native player compatibility with Jellyfin

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by gogo789, Jan 25, 2021.

1. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Hi, I'm trying to use Jellyfin as main media server (I previously used plex).
    I would like to set Jellyfin to play with the Zidoo native player because I really like the result of VS10 engine (SDR to LLDV ;)).
    For the moment I can set zidoo native player as external player and it really works well but I have 2 issues :
    1 : it doesn't find external subtitles
    2 : it doesn't resume videos

To resolve the first one I would like to use the jellyfin specific option "Direct path" which just call the external player with the path of the media (the player and the server must have access to the same path).
    But the jellyfin app doesn't propose zidoo native player in the list, why o_O ? I think it's because the app want to send a path and not a stream to the external app and maybe the zidoo native player doesn't expose this api. It works well from the file explorer so why not from jellyfin ? Thank you in advance for any help :)

For the moment the second issue is less important it would be just more user friendly, plus maybe it will solve after resolving the first issue.

Sledgehamma likes this.
  2. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Because of that and the fact that HT looks way better than the Jellyfin client it would be awesome if HT could use Jellyfin (or Emby or Plex for that matter) as the backend.
    Maybe if enough people show support for that kind of feature Zidoo will consider it.

Mr Hyde likes this.
  3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Definitely - it would be great if HT4 supported any one of the above.

Mr Hyde likes this.
  4. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

I can't agree more. For the moment I just would like to find a way to select the zidoo native player with direct path.

5. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

I gonna test the "Better open with" app this evening for my first issue

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Do like Emby myself most.

7. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Emby with zidoo as external player doesn't support external subtitle either and doesn't offer the direct path option.

8. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

fedofed likes this.
  9. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Any news about the ability of playing direct smb path from the jellyfin player ?
    I have tested it with the last firmware (FW V6.1.05) but it still doesn't work :(
    I just would like to use the zidoo native player like with the native file explorer which play file throught SMB path.

10. Thanos

Thanos Member

Does jellyfin work for you? What kind of equipment do you have?
    I can install it, but when used it crashes and I get a fail "red crash screen" with message "out of memory".
    I tried more versions of Jellyfin, they all fall down after a while and a red screen pops up with an error.

Alternatively, in jellyfin you can choose "option → player → use a third-party player → "google player = player ZIDOO" if you want to use zidoo player instead of ExoPlayer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  11. HomeTheaterMax

HomeTheaterMax New Member

I have Jellyfin installed on my Synology NAS and it works fine on Zidoo Z9X. I used "external player" in Jellyfin settings, the videos resume fine. I have not tried using subtitles as I was just experimenting cause HT does look good for most part. However, the JellyFin interface with RottenTomatoes score looks nice so it could be a win if Zidoo incorporated something opensource like Jellyfin to be allowed as another option in addition to HT.

12. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member

Any player without a support of external subtitle is not a solution for me. The direct path option in jellyfin which send a direct smb path could be a solution but zidoo native player doesn't seems to accept smb direct path. The player is not proposed on play when I select the direct path option in jellyfin.

13. boxerfan

boxerfan Active Member

ZDMC with JellyFin plugin works pretty good.
    External subtitles work well in native mode.

14. gogo789

gogo789 Active Member