Limited or full range?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X10' started by Davicom, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Davicom

Davicom Member

Hi all! Reading some post it is understandable that most of us use Limited range option. My personally opinion is that with full range i can see too dark pictures (during darkest scenes) but at the same time an image (i seems) more define (during light normal screen) than limited range.
    My question is: if hdr technology use wide gamma, why we are forced to miss it? Where is precisely the problem? In zidoo box? In sources (movies)?

2. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

What's the actual problem ? You use the one that works better for your TV.

3. Davicom

Davicom Member

Yes, i would to use full range, but in darkest scene it's too dark: indistinguishable bands of colors

Edit: maybe, between possible causes i should have insert bad tv calibration? in essence I would a comparison of opinions

4. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hi all,

With my tv sony (X930C) I have to use the "limited" because the Sony TV is not compatible with the Full range.

Confirm by wesk05 (on Kodi forum) and also by the specs of my TV.

see you

5. Davicom

Davicom Member

I could see a good improvement setting Full Range and on tv Level Black: High

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

RGB Full Range normally should be used only when real (professional) calibration of the TV/Projector setup is done.
    Of coarse everybody may use what suits the best.

7. Gianmaria

Gianmaria Member

What i know is that fhd bluray and UHd are recorded with limited range so if you are playing back movies, you should setup limited range

8. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

Full range is really only used when connecting a PC. Most console games and pretty much all movies and tv shows are mastered with limited range.

HDTV1080p likes this.