Lifespan of the Eversolo

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Inti, Oct 28, 2023.

1. Inti

Inti Active Member

Can someone please explain why the A6 will not work if the firmware stops coming is the lifespan of the A6 streaming platform depending on updates I understand it can always be used as NAS and Dac

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Like any device that is beholden to the whims of the internet, if development stops (and there's no reason whatsoever to suppose it will) and APIs change for online content (as they do regularly), then that content is at risk of failure depending on the nature of the API implementation.

However, for local playback of local resources, and especially if that resource is correctly tagged (as it should be for music!) then it'll work just as well regardless of update status.

Nutul likes this.
  3. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

There is a recent video of John Darko ranting on the subject...
    Anyway, Android updates are not really necessary per-se, but are dictated by Google. If google decides there must be an update and your device is no longer supported (like the Android 10 in the Fiio R7...), the developers of the app won't be able to produce one for your older system, as the app itself will refuse to run on "unsecure hardware", which is the mother of all these silly updates.
    BUT. If you don't update, and it works today, for buggy it might be, it will keep working. Buggy, OK, but still...

ETA
    As @Markswift2003 said, there is still the dependency on online services: if they change, and your app doesn't, you are left without.

4. kc001

kc001 Active Member

Well, the DMP-A6's processor (that is the main reason Android 11 is used) is on a plug-in board.
    They can always offer a new board with a newer processor that supports say Android 15 as an update ;)
    Or you can simply install Ubuntu on it :-D

raeggis and Peter Wallop like this.
  5. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Ah... this is very good, didn't know.

Wait, what? This looks far more interesting... I might consider buying one, then...

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

This is only part of the story. The second problem is dependence on the server(s) and Internet connectivity for many apps including the players integrated features. Some features like like metadata lookup won't work anymore if the Eversolo servers/connections are stopped/removed.
    An app like UAPP e.g. which in itself is very nice, won't work without access to Google Play plus access to the UAPP license validation server. Not very nice but that is how it is implemented.

So also for local albums end of support may result in reduced functionality even for that.

7. Nice Monkey

Trust me on this. 15 years dealing with media player and media streaming brands/products.
    Started with Xtreamer which is long time gone, so is Egreat the next in my history. So yes also popular brands do disappear totally.
    Dune is by far the strongest brand in keeping support/development also for old(er) generations but the other side of that coin is that their development is very limited/slow.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
  8. kc001

kc001 Active Member

Stop guessing, and Search

9. Nice Monkey

The HW is more that just the Cortex A55. Please show me the results in practice with the Front Panel, HW acceleration and DAC board working running Ubunto.
    Most Unix/Linux derivates can run on this CPU but that does not make the box as a whole work. The most common is using CoreElec and not something heavy like Ubunto.

But please go ahead and impress me with a full functional player running Ubunto (or openelec, libreelec, coreelec). On pure Amlogic SOC's it is far easier and shown to work. Seen even various dual boot versions. Xtreamer was the first to show this working more than 10 years ago.

My Dune Homatics is a very nice recent example but prefer the original Dune FW for it. This despite the fact that DVD/BD menu support never was added due to Google being against that. Just read my review for that one:
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/dune-hd-homatics-box-r-4k-plus-owners-thread.2452608/
    Running KODI under CoreELEC (with optional Dual Boot) is preferred by some.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
  10. kc001

kc001 Active Member

Here's an example of the type of board the A6 has.
    Everything not in the plug-in board is essentially a peripheral device.
    Stop of discussion.