Kodi and the X1

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X1' started by user59, Jul 13, 2015.

1. user59

user59 Member

Not a big user of Kodi. so all you experts what's the deal.

I note when playing a 10 GB .mkv the skip counter is about 3 to the second +/- 2% :)
    Thought it was Wi-Fi copied file to SD same deal, by disabling the ZD Codec no more skipping ?
    I also only see 2 of the 4 cores with Kodi playing is this normal and are only utilised as required.

ZD codec on
    [​IMG]
    ZD Codec off
    [​IMG]
    Thanks

2. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

I pretty much get the same results for some .MKV files.

Two cores seems to be the default for this version of Kodi, so seems there is more work to be done on the codec.

3. user59

user59 Member

Good to read,
    Thought I would put it out there.
    Zidoo will get on to it for sure

4. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

I'm sure they will and the new ROM brought some useful additions and fixes, so might be close to perfect with the next one.

5. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Thanks for your feedback,We will check it!

6. spring

spring Guest

The cpu core is auto up/down,when the cpu is busy,then new core will up. Because the use of hardware decoding, cpu working at 30% to 40% is sufficient.

7. Dylan

Dylan Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

The drop and skip item of video player info is invalid when zdcodec is on。
    Zdcodec has it's own plan to drop or skip frame. It render itself, not the render manager.

And Zidoo did not fill the value to the Codecinfo.

8. xenon

xenon New Member

Zidoo X1 kodi :

-4K files not working like it need to be.
    -HEVC not working.

I think it is better to have KODI 15.0,Beta 1 like base version,because Hevc works 100% and 4K works better(not perfect) then Zido Kodi.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  9. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

I concur.

I would like to see more information on just what areas of video playback are improved with the Zidoo codec, with some example files that we can download and test in comparison with bog standard Kodi.

10. Rob Hart

Rob Hart New Member

Something must have changed in Kodi Official 15.0 Isengard – RC 2, maybe some input from Allwinner?
    its now playing content beautifully for me High Bitrate h.265/1080p no stutter like the Zidoo Build.
    If you look at the Android Hardware page on Kodi ==> http://kodi.wiki/view/Android_hardware
    the ZIdoo X1 H3 now shows as full hardware support.

11. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

Great spot Rob.

12. DragonFly

DragonFly Member

Did you test audio pass-through on those video files on Isengard RC2?

Files may play smoothly using PCM, but audio pass-through (DTS, Dolby Digital etc) does NOT work properly with Kodi Isengard RC2 build (using HDMI). You'll still need the special 14.2 build from Zidoo to be able to experience full audio. (or a computer running RC2)

13. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

I only use SPDIF for output and have so far found no issues with DTS etc.

14. DragonFly

DragonFly Member

On Isengard RC2? I get stuttering, loss of audio etc, on almost every file I throw at it. That's using HDMI as output to a DTS capable receiver.
    The sound issues are gone using the Zidoo release using the same hardware and parameters, but the Zidoo 14.2 has other problems.

Seems strange it only would work properly using SPDIF

15. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

It's quite a common issue with Android boxes.

HDMI passthrough probably accounts for more complaints than anything although it does seem to be a lottery dependent on what kind of receiver you have.

Have you tried SPMC?

It's generally geared towards Rockchip based boxes but does include a few other things that have been missing from stock Kodi.

Worth a shot just for comparison sake and can be installed alongside Kodi as it uses different folders.

Just remember to turn of the RKlibstagfright codec.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.semperpax.spmc&hl=en_GB

16. DragonFly

DragonFly Member

Yes, I know SPMC. Haven't tried it because it still based on 14.2. But SPMC still uses the .xbmc directory for data storage so that's a plus as you mentioned.

I always used HDMI because I'd really want to avoid another extraneous cable attached between devices. Never attached a SPDIF before on any Android box (or HTPC computer for that matter). Sadly my X1 does not have an optical out.

My X9 does, don't know if you also own an X9, but do you have the same positive results on that box?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  17. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

18. DragonFly

DragonFly Member

Well.....Did test SPMC (both 14.2 and 15 beta 1) and it's an no go for the X1. Both versions only produce static with audio pass-through enabled (using the same settings as the Zidoo 14.2 Kodi version, with or without HW acceleration)

It's a little premature to ditch the Zidoo Kodi version and start using Kodi 15 beta 2. At least for those owning a X1 batch without a Toslink connector (but with the extra USB port)

19. Bluesmanuk

Bluesmanuk Member

It was worth a try just to confirm.

I did make a stupid error above though.

I talked of SPDIF, which my X1 doesn't have.

I have 5 Android boxes and for a moment I was getting two of them mixed up lol, so apologies for any confusion.

20. DragonFly

DragonFly Member

Hehe, it seemed plausible. You could have had an early batch. The original design was with as Toslink connector.
    So back to square one using Kodi for stutter free videoplayback using audio pass-through