Is the Zidoo X10 (Pro) the solution for me?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by computerke, Jul 14, 2021.

1. computerke

computerke New Member

Hello all,
    Despite the factI own a few mediaplayers already, I cannot find a model that really suits my needs.

These are the reasons and issues I experienced so far:
    1. TViX6500A: cannot hold a HDD above 2 GB, all other specs were great for the time being.
    2. Mede8er 500X: freezes all the time and needs to restart almost everytime before it functions as it should.
    3. Dune HD Solo 4K (currently in use):
    * does not give the movies in a map in a graphical way as the TViX does, that is you can get a list of the
    movies but not icons with the content of folder.jpg which is in that map.
    * does not recognize all movie formats and goes to the main menu instead of staying on the map in use.
    * no place for an internal HDD 3.5", VOBSUB does work, but the subs freeze until the next is given, which is very annoying to watch...
    * when playing ISO files or VIDEO_TS the sound stops when going to the next chapter so I have to go back to the start of the chapter and then the sound works again.
    * no firmware available for several years now, so I gave up to get an improvement that would solve a lot of the problems mentionned.

So now I am looking to find a mediaplayer that does not have such issues and I came across the Zidoo X10Pro.
    I need a HDD bay that supports HDD of 4 GB or larger and I really liked the graphical way of displaying the movies in a particular map the user has choosen (see point 1 above of the Dune).
    So it looks like the video wall but taken from the HDD instead of the internet.
    Streaming and all that is not important for me, I always play movies from the HDD and the mediaplayer is connected to a Onkyo AC Receiver TX-NR646 surround with KEF loudspeakers.

Is the Zidoo X10 (Pro?) the mediaplayer that I am looking for? Or is there another model that is even better? I do not look at the costs when I could find the mediaplayer that does give me the solution to the issues I experienced so far.

Thanks for giving me some advice so that I can finally get what I am looking for.

Kind regards from Belgium,

Ronny

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  2. computerke

computerke New Member

179 times read and no single reaction... Pity this forum is not as active as I hoped it would be.

3. computerke

computerke New Member

No one who can give me more info?

Edit: more than 400 views and still not response after almost 2 months... What a pity, since I had hoped to get some answers and/or help here.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  4. computerke

computerke New Member

Ok, now 590 views and not a single reply in almost 3 months :eek:
    I ask the mods to delete my entire account here for this forum, since it seems not to serve to anything.

5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Hi Ronny,

Sincere pologies for that - but to be fair to other users, you are asking about a very old media player and one that has been superseded twice since it was introduced so I guess people didn't think they were in a position to answer.

So the simple answer to your question is, no, this isn't the media player you've been looking for.

I've used the Dune Solo 4K and in fact still use a Mede8er for TV series so I have experience with both those boxes and can tell you that the current line up of Zidoo models is far far in advance of both those two as you might expect but which model you look at will depend of your requirements.

Personally I use network storage so have no need for internal hard discs and therefore use a Z9X. The video performance of all current models is exactly the same with the difference being in the addition of on board caddies for hard discs and ever more esoteric add-ons for audio.

So as I say, it depends what you want from the player.

The latest line up is here and please come back if you have more questions, but better to post in the 1619 forum (latest SOC)

https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/allProduct.html

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?forums/hdd-media-player-rtd-1619dr.54/

6. computerke

computerke New Member

Oof, finally got a response: thank you! It is strange that no one owning a ZX10 (Pro) took the time to respond by answering my inquiries.
    I suppose that with 'two superseded' you mean the Z1000 Pro and UHD3000. As Flemish is my native language, I do not know what 'SOC' stands for, I googled for it but find lots of abbreviations I cannot link with forum content.
    But I will now search further to find a mediaplayer that serves my needs. Maybe the Z9X can do that, I found that there is a HDD connection at the side with power supply so no need for an extra external PS to feed the HDD. And that makes it another candidate to be my next mediaplayer ;)
    As stated above, my requirements are a HDD bay that supports HDD of 4 GB or larger and I really liked the graphical way of displaying the movies in a particular map the user has choosen by means of a folder.jpg file taken from the corresponding HDD directory and not from the internet so that it looks like the video wall but taken from the HDD instead of the internet.
    The search goes on for now ;)

7. Markswift2003

SOC is "System On a Chip"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_on_a_chip.

If you want a local hard disc I'd suggest the Z10 Pro or if two drive bays are required the UHD3000 although for movie playing that's perhaps overkill.

8. computerke

computerke New Member

Thanks for the abbreviation of SOC :) I would go for the Z10Pro if I could be sure that it does what I want it to do (see my requirements above). And it is almost impossible these days to find a store where one can try it out in reality.

9. Ratty

Ratty New Member

Hi, Ronny,
    as far as I know, Zidoo X10 Pro supports HDDs up to 14 Tb just officially ;) and even larger HDDs practically. No problems with it.
    All new line models based upon Realtec RTD1619 can do better PQ job than Your present Dune, including a few exciting new features with DV, HDR 10+ et c. If You need a work horse, X10 Pro would be pretty nice upgrade to Your media system, IMHO. Godspeed anyway!

10. computerke

computerke New Member

Thanks for you info, Ratty! But the question remains that a video wall is displayed if you go to a map on the HDD where each movie is in a submap with a folder.jpg file (usually the movie poster or the dvd front inlay).
    I have been looking at YouTube vids and they all skip the 'storage' icon and go to NAS etc. So I wonder what is displayed if you click on the 'storage' icon...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2021
  11. Ratty

Ratty New Member

It depends on Your player app media library functions. I use Plex, so there is one big folder for all my films on a HDD with many subfolders per each one movie where I put my favorite poster that could be shown on video wall. If You add the year (of movie release) to filename (for ex: Resident Evil Retribution (2012)), chances are great that a player could recognise this media properly and show some additional data from the Web including official poster or box front inlay.

12. computerke

computerke New Member

For what I found is Plex a streaming service, so do I have to get that service? I do not need to get extra info from the web so I just want to see a videowall with the maps and submaps on my HD with a 'folder.jpg' as poster.
    And which Zidoo do you recommend me, Ratty? I was surprised to read from MarkSwift that the the ZX10 (Pro) is described as 'a very old player'...

13. Markswift2003

Well yes - the X10 is from 2016 - 5 years is a long time in Media Player terms and the SOC is 2 generations old.

14. Markswift2003

Unless of course you mean the Z10?

15. computerke

computerke New Member

In the world of today that is indeed a very, very long time... So what do you think is the best player that forfill my needs for me at this very moment?

16. Markswift2003

I think you've got your Xs and Zs mixed up!!

I think you meant to ask about the Z10 and not the X10 which is why no-one answered immediately.

If you want an up to date media player that will take a single hard disc, the Z10 Pro is probably the one:

https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/index/model/Z10+PRO/target/7ogeLPHKQt1KKmVViAFMcQ==.html

The Z10 Pro uses the latest SOC, the Realtek RTD1619DR.

(The X10 has the 1295 from 2016 and the Z10 has the 1296 from 2018)

17. computerke

computerke New Member

Thanks for the help, Markswift! I am now getting somewhere :)
    Are you sure it will display the 'folder.jpg' in the video wall as found in the directories and subdirectories without having to have connection to the internet?

18. Markswift2003

No, the naming conventions are:

MovieName-poster.jpg
    MovieName-Fanart.jpg
    MovieName-clearlogo.jpg
    CollectionName-poster.jpg
    CollectionName-fanart.jpg

By default it will scrape online and gather artwork that way but you can chose to use local assets as named above in addition to Kodi compliant NFO files if you want.

Once you've scraped online you can also export artwork and NFOs.

19. computerke

computerke New Member

Ok, so I suppose I could just rename the 'folder.jpg' into MovieName-poster.jpg to circumvent the 'problem' ;)

20. Markswift2003

If I were you I'd let it scrape online - as long as the filenames aren't mad it's extremely accurate and it needs to grab the fanart as well for the details pages and also art for collections.