Is it possible to play music on multiple devices via the A6?

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by Baffler65, Jun 30, 2023.

1. Baffler65

Baffler65 New Member

I've tried using Airplay and Spotify Connect and both only allow me to select one device at a time. Is there some trick to playing music on multiple devices via the A6?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

No, and only 1 output can be used for even the same source.

3. Baffler65

Baffler65 New Member

Bummer. Looks like I'll be returning it and getting the Wiim Pro then. The wife requires multi-room music.

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

With Wiim (mini / pro) you can of course do multi-room. But you need a device per room... that's not exactly what you are asking for... Every single Wiim IS a streamer, like every A6 is.
    Can you do multi-room with just one Wiim?!?

5. Baffler65

Baffler65 New Member

I hear what you're saying but with Airplay2 I don't need two Wiim devices. I just need two compatible devices. For instance, I'm currently streaming to both my Apple TV and my Wiim Mini from my iPhone. I understand that the A6 is the streaming source, but I thought it would also be able to function as a receiving endpoint like the Wiim.

6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Then I don't understand...
    Your phone then is the streamer, and you can stream to your TV, the Wiim AND the A6 (don't know if Android can be an Airplay renderer - maybe yes - for sure it cannot be an Airplay streamer)

I think, however, that ROON is your friend here... it comes at a price, though.

Dfv8 and Riley like this.
  7. Baffler65

Baffler65 New Member

The issue is that I'm unable to stream to the A6 and any other device at the same time. ROON is too much for my needs, especially when I can get 10 Wiim Minis for the same cost as the A6.

Nutul likes this.
  8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Got it.

9. Baffler65

Baffler65 New Member

It really is a bummer though. I really like the A6. It's beautiful, convenient, and I even think it sounds a bit better than the Wiim (although it's probably just louder).

10. Riley

Riley Member

That's not a limitation of the A6, sounds like what you want is to split your airplay signal to multiple devices at once, something like this : https://www.macworld.com/article/34...ns-for-streaming-audio-on-iphone-or-ipad.html

Even the Bluesound node likely sounds better than the Wiim Mini and Wiim Pro, while the A6 easily bests all 3.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2023
  11. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It is a streamer, after all, and it acts like one.
    About the quality, I cannot say a word, as I don't own any of the two machines, but I might be keen to say that the A6's DAC is better than the one in the Wiim... then of course here we can write a book about DACs and their electronic surroundings / analog stage implementation, and the like, but I still thinks so.

But then again, you stream via Airplay... the DAC at this point does not make a huge difference, as the sound quality is already degraded...

12. Baffler65

Baffler65 New Member

I'm only looking to use Airplay when we have parties--a requirement of the wife. The rest of the time, I'm looking for a good quality streamer to stream Tidal and Apple Music. I need to bypass the streamer's DAC because my Anthem 720 requires me to use its DAC. The A6 sounded great, but it didn't work with Airplay.

13. Riley

Riley Member

I was just testing a song with the multi-room function of Airplay and also couldn't choose the A6 along with another speaker which got me to thinking. The multi-room function only works with Airplay 2 compatible devices. Eversolo must have just implemented the old Airplay 1 spec instead of Airplay 2, which is really bad news for a new modern streaming device. Even the Wiim Mini and Wiim Pro have Airplay 2 built in.

Lesfetes likes this.
  14. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Oh, then yes... AirPlay 2 is the culprit. Maybe a version upgrade could include it.

enisio likes this.
  15. Baffler65

Baffler65 New Member

This is what I was thinking, even though I remember their website said they supported AirPlay 2. It's good to know that it's not my imagination.

16. enisio

enisio New Member

Yeah, old version o fthe website shows Airplay2. But not now anymore.

Lesfetes likes this.
  17. Lesfetes

Lesfetes New Member

Same here; bought it believing AirPlay 2 compatible … can’t get it to work either. Was it misdirection from the start or has it been taken out? And can it be brought back NOW

Attached Files:

18. Riley

Riley Member

@mirror ?

Lesfetes and enisio like this.
  19. sosojerk

sosojerk New Member

It is possible to output the analog sound to 2 devices at the same time.
    One will be connected to RCA, the other to XLR.
    Like first amp to RCA, second to XLR
    As you can see in the A6 output stage, there is a setting that say RCA+XLR.
    So both outputs are used in that case.
    The digital output can't be used like that. Only one thing at a time. It does not have the zone concept.

20. Riley

Riley Member

He was asking in regards to Airplay 2's multi-room / multi-device feature which isn't currently functioning properly with the A6, not with regard to using multiple physical outputs.