How to get Apple Music App on eversolo?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by whodiini, Oct 5, 2023.

1. whodiini

whodiini New Member

I am not familar with android, and would like to know how to get the app to appear on the eversolo so I can stream hires apple music thru the eversolo. Many thanks

2. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

Is the app not available under ‘Streaming’ or ‘Apps’ on the A6’s screen? Maybe you need to scroll down to see it.

Using Apple Music remotely is only possible by using ‘Cast’.

Topdude likes this.
  3. whodiini

whodiini New Member

The app does not show up on streaming or apps, either on my ipad app or on the eversolo screen. The only way I found so far to play apple music is from my ios device and select eversolo as an aiplay device. But I do not believe that allows hires.

4. Bergholdt

OK. Airplay is indeed only ‘CD quality’.

You can Google ‘Apple Music .apk’ or go to apkpure dot com and search for Apple Music.

You can then download the .apk file to your ios device - this is maybe easier on a pc or mac than iphone / ipad but can be done on ios devices.

After download, you need to find the ip address of your A6 (under ‘Settings’ and then ‘About’).

Then open a browser (on the device you downloaded the .apk file) and type in the ip address followed by :18888 (so maybe 192.0.0.120:18888). Then hit ‘enter’ on your keyboard to go to A6’s web server…

Click ‘select apk file’ (on the A6’s web server / the website that shows up) and find the downloaded file. It will install on the A6 and be available under ‘Apps’.

In the Apple Music app now on the A6, you need to setup your Apple Music account and select hi-res. This is done by clicking the 3 dots in the top right corner. ‘Settings’ and ‘Account’.

PS: All this is done because the A6 doesn’t have access to the Google Android app store where apps would normally be installed from on an Android device. The A6, however, does allow so-called ‘side loading’ to install apps. Not all apps / downloadable .apk files will work but Apple Music will.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    Topdude and OffRoad like this.
  5. whodiini

whodiini New Member

Thank you so much for your detailed step by step instructions! Followed them all and it works. The only very minor detail was that when setting up the app, I selected apple lossless (there wasnt a hires selection). Interesting that I could not find any instructions anywhere on the web to do this. Thanks again!

6. Bergholdt

You have to turn on ‘lossless audio’ to be able to select hi-res.

Lossless is CD quality (16 bit / 44,1 khz) to 24 bit / 48 khz

Hi-Res Lossless is from 24 bit / 88,2 khz to 24 bit / 192 khz

IMG_0007.jpeg IMG_0009.jpeg IMG_0010.jpeg IMG_0011.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
    1piotr13, Topdude and OffRoad like this.
  7. whodiini

whodiini New Member

I see. I turned on lossless and then hires shows up without needing to turn on. I played the same song as you showed and it shows 24bit/88.2khz ALAC, so I think it is working!

8. TropicalMetal

TropicalMetal New Member

For some reason I can no longer get hi res streams only lossless. Any ideas? All relevant options are turned on and connection is wired

9. Bergholdt

Only a few albums are available on Apple Music as Hi-Res Lossless…

Did you change something in the A6’s ‘Settings’ under ‘Audio’?

It needs to be ‘Original sampling rate’…

IMG_0012.jpeg

j2j, Topdude and TropicalMetal like this.
  10. TropicalMetal

TropicalMetal New Member

Hi thanks for the quick response. I just realised some tracks on an album are lossless some are hi res despite being labelled as hi res. The new hi res of Steely Dan Aja the first track is lossless the rest is hi res. First Elton John album some are hi res some are lossless.
    I’m a little puzzled as this has never been an issue before

11. Bergholdt

I’ve seen that too. I think that’s how it’s supposed to be. :)

12. TropicalMetal

TropicalMetal New Member

Ha ha inferior by design. Jokes aside it was only because I’m trying to go all Apple Music after ditching Qobuz and Audirvāna so I was bitrate peeping I guess in normal use I won’t care.
    Thank you for being so helpful

13. BarHan

BarHan New Member

I did find it like this, only had to click install.

14. Bergholdt

Some A6 users have reported missing apps that others have as standard. @mirror / Eversolo are apparently able to ‘push’ apps to users if you send him / them your A6’s mac address.

I have experienced that apps I don’t use and have deleted (by long pressing) show up after a restart automatically again, so I assume that there is some sort of connection to Eversolo’s update servers and that they check your firmware version and installed apps after a restart.

So maybe the missing apps have to do with a missing connection to their servers (either because of security on user’s routers or safety settings at your internet provider)…

15. Bergholdt

The version of Apple Music that can be found online as an .apk file might not be the same as the one that comes as standard with your A6. Standard apps are updated via Eversolo servers. Side loaded apps have to be deleted and downloaded / installed manually to be updated to a newer version.

16. TropicalMetal

TropicalMetal New Member

A bit more digging and using lossless Switcher on Mac is playing the correct hi res file so I’m guessing the Eversolo app is grabbing the wrong versions of songs

17. Bergholdt

Interesting. More work for the Eversolo guys, then…

Sonos made a deal with Apple Music to get direct access to their database / API, so maybe Eversolo could get access too at some point. Sonos hardware is however limited to 24bit/48khz like all current Apple hardware… as far as I’m aware…

18. TropicalMetal

TropicalMetal New Member

Hopefully some progress can be made

19. Inti

Inti Active Member

It was a one time deal Sonos made with Apple Music so don’t hold your breath waiting for that

20. Bergholdt

Yes. I guess, Sonos has more hardware/users than Zidoo/Eversolo and is a more interesting partner but maybe some day :)