How Many People Use The A6 Variable Volume VS Fixed?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Bonzo, Nov 1, 2023.

?

A6 Volume Control Setting

1. Variable Setting = I use the A6 knob or app to adjust volume

19 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Fixed Setting = I use another device to adjust volume

64 vote(s)
    77.1%
  1. Joao Correa

Joao Correa New Member

Hi. I’m just some way disappointed with the volume I get with DMP 6 directly connected (rca/rca) to both amplifiers. I have to go up 2/3 of the volume control to get a good level of sound.
    Via pre-amps all ok.
    Did somebody found the same situation ?

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Oh, I remember that...
    No further comment to add then. This I am confident can be fixed with a SW update; problem is: do the devs know about the issue, and what priority does it have...

The Moog likes this.
  3. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

Perhaps drop an email to support team. As @mirror frequently reminds us, the support team don't often get to read the comments here but are more likely to action a direct contact request or question.

Nutul likes this.
  4. The Moog

The Moog Member

Yep, have done. Hopefully as @Nutul says, it is an easy software update.

Nutul likes this.
  5. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Everything is fine, except I didn't explicitly say it's easy (although I do think it is)... :)

The Moog likes this.
  6. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Well this poll has been going on for a while and it has quite a few votes.

So I think I've proved my point. Most people don't even use the volume knob.

So, there is most certainly a market for an A7 with a different set of priorities meant for a full in rack system.

Peter Wallop likes this.
  7. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

@Mister L I'm currently using the DLMP-A6 via XLR output to monoblock power amps. But, I have an ADI-2 that has been dormant for some time and I am thinking about using it as a Dac/pre again via USB. How are you connecting to the RME ?

@Joao Correa I have the same situation, and when I started the system I had 0 dB out put level, and it didn't deafen me! I am considering going digital to another Dac, as I wrote just above, or going for an active line stage on the XLR outputs.

Edit: There appears to be a somewhat narrow range of “real world” volume adjustement, music is a good level for me at -35 dB, but TV needs -25 or so. This surprised me as the max output voltage, on XLR, is 5 volts.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  8. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

Hmm, 80 ish votes, on an essentially audio forum (speaking about Eversolo here) is probably not representative. OTOH, on other audio forums I do see a lot of people talking of their output to other, sometimes quite ancient, Dacs. So maybe you are right.

I just installed my DMP-A6, not even a day's use as I write this. My use case is Roon Ready -> DMP-AG Bal XLR outputs -> monoblock power amps.

Nutul likes this.
  9. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Anywhere close to 100 votes on a forum such as this is quite a few votes. I've been on a lot of forums, bigger, and smaller, and every single one has a lot less participation than reading the forum would have you believe. Years ago I was on a car forum where there was an issue. By the way people talked, the forum would have had you believe it was 100% of cars having an issue. When we did a pole it was only like 10%. Then the manufacturer announced that they figured about 15%.

Ever notice during elections they call winners when only 20% of the votes are in and the race is like 53% to 47%?

I think 80 voters here is enough to say something.

For me, if I really wanted a pre-amp capable unit for a stereo rack, I'd get the A-8 anyway. Much better suited. But that's just me.

10. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

Yes, but 2K€ versus 900€, I was looking at a lower price point (750€ tops), if the DMP-A6 has a weakness it might be it's ability to drive a power amp. If the DMP-A8 is clearly superior at that, then It's worth it for the feature set. Clearly, thinks have come a long way in 20 years, though.

Edit: I fixed a small typo.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
  11. Alan Rutlidge

I would respectfully beg to differ on the DMP-A8 having superior power amplifier driving characteristics over the DMP-A6.
    Specifications for DMP-A8: Output Level: XLR 4.2 V; RCA 2.1V
    Specifications for DMP-A6: Output level: XLR 5 V; RCA 2.5V

Whilst there isn't much difference, just a mere 1.5dB louder for the DMP-A6 at full volume, the DMP-A6 clearly has more voltage drive capability compared to the DMP-A8. Well at least according to evesolo's own specifications.
    There is nothing in the user manuals about output impedance which will be an influencing factor if the input impedance of the power amplifier is relatively low.

12. Stopeter44

Stopeter44 Member

I am in total agreement with you. There was a typo, and the sense of my post was conditional. My ears are still becoming accustomed to the DMP-A6, but somehow it seems to make lack drive as a preamp, OTOH I am listening to music more since it has been installed. It does a lot of things very well.

Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  13. Alan Rutlidge

No drama. There may be an output impedance difference between the two models. If one model has a significantly lower output impedance it will have a better ability to drive power amplifiers that have a wider range of input impedances, especially those with lower input impedances.
    Another factor may be the average level of the tracks getting played. Older CDs that weren't normalised during ripping IME tend to have a lower replay level which will therefore have a lower output level which will require the volume control to be turned up higher to give the same apparent loudness level. This can give the user the impression the DMP-A6 has a lower level of drive availability. Agreed, the DMP-A6 is pretty good for the money. Enjoy.

Stopeter44 likes this.