How Many People Use The A6 Variable Volume VS Fixed?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Bonzo, Nov 1, 2023.

?

A6 Volume Control Setting

1. Variable Setting = I use the A6 knob or app to adjust volume

19 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Fixed Setting = I use another device to adjust volume

64 vote(s)
    77.1%
  1. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

So I'm doing a simple poll.

How many people here use the knob or app on their A6 to adjust the volume level? Said another way, how many people adjust their volume from the A6 or the phone app?

The alternative is to set the A6 to fixed. Which most likey means that another device in the chain (like a pre-amp or processor or receiver) is doing the volume adjusting.

I'm curious to see how people are using their A6.

2. Fixed on the A6 for me. Use the volume on either my RP5 or AVM70, depending on which I'm listening through.

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I am missing an option here:
    I do control the volume with my AMP but yes also use DMP-A6 volume control with a fixed offset. This to align different volume levels with various AMP inputs. Even align volume for DMP-A6 outputs using HDMI versus Analog.

Dfv8 likes this.
  4. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Hunh? The A6 only has 2 options, no?

Are you saying you leave it in variable and adjust it too, even though it goes through the AMP?

5. Nice Monkey

In setup one can set maximum levels for each output. I do use that feature.

Some are afraid that volume control (also at a fixed value) degrades SQ (can't say I heard that in practice) but the new DMP-A8 uses a ladder R2R volume attenuator for that reason.

Stopeter44 and raeggis like this.
  6. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

So you set the volume maximums, then turn the volume knob all the way up to those settings?

That could still be an issue if someone else decides to start changing things.

I'm not fond of having multiple volume knobs located in 1 set up. People who don't follow the rules or don't know what they are doing can too easily mess things up.

If the A6 didn't have a "fixed" setting, I wouldn't have purchased it.

7. Nice Monkey

Nobody messes with my setup on my audio gear. They may use it to listen but will never go to setup for anything.
    If it ever changes nothing nasty will happen neither. Have no setup with potential too high levels. Just use RCA never XLR.

Like with the sound of DAC's we all have different preferences and habits. I don't like volume level differences between inputs. There are plenty which do the same as I do. Be sure about that.
    But it is your poll and you may add that 3rd option or not at your liking.

8. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

But if I walked into your room, I could turn the volume down on the A6, and it would affect your overall volume. If I only turn it down 2 clicks you might not even notice.

Forgive me, I'm not trying to dog you, only more fully understand.

My room is a family do it all room. My wife probably uses the system more than anyone. Yet, she hits wrong buttons all the time. I do NOT want her messing with 2 volume controls that interact with each other.

I guess I'm saying, what you do is not really a 3rd option. Its variable with a max limiter. It can still be adjusted on the fly. Yes / No?

9. Nice Monkey

Yes, but never do that.

Bonzo likes this.
  10. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Tell my wife that! ;):D:p

Peter Wallop and Robert Crawford like this.
  11. Inti

Inti Active Member

Me too

12. Jone1973

Jone1973 Member

I am using fixed volume only and adjust volume either on my Pioneer amp (on RCA output) or on my SPL headphone amp (XLR). As the SPL can be controlled by any IR remote control I use the EverSolo remote control for adjusting volume of my hpa.Tha A6 just reacts by a little popup saying "volume direct mode".

13. If she's like mine, doesn't listen and wouldn't do any good.

Bonzo likes this.
  14. BarHan

BarHan New Member

Eversolo volume remote, not the knob. Using XLR to my Yamaha A6A. Fixed causes distortion sometimes (6 volt output). The A6A remote is too large, too many knobs, do not like it. I use the Yamaha mainly for the Eversolo and prefer physical knobs for volume, next etc, no touch screens.

15. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Mine listens, and she's way smarter than me. But when it comes to hitting the correct buttons, she's proven herself incapable. :confused:

Robert Crawford likes this.
  16. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

Normally fixed, but I don't use the internal DAC either.

17. nonosch

nonosch New Member

Normally fixed too, with Chord Qutest dac

18. Mister L

Mister L Active Member

fixed. Use RME ADI-2 DAC FS as external DAC and PRE out to active speakers.

19. raeggis

raeggis New Member

I tryed fixed volum out via digital output, but the gain is to high as a input signal on my system.

20. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Okay, so a novice question, but how can you tell?