HDR to SDR conversion (Washed out color)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by OlivierQC, Feb 1, 2020.

1. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello,

I do not use this function and i do not know if it is possible to improve the HDR to SDR conversion on Zidoo devices but some people on homecinema.fr say that the HDR to SDR conversion is worse than before (Washed out color) with the last FW.

See you

2. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Using a 1080p Pioneer Plasma Monitor playing back a 4k mkv Movie the colours are duller and not as bright i find
    Tried most settings but unable to find a work around yet .

3. HDBalek

HDBalek New Member

Hi
    I also have a bad HDR-SDR conversion
    X20
    HiMedia q5 is perfect
    Interesting
    Will it be repaired?

4. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

and Egreat do not have this conversion problem too

About Zidoo I'm not sure they'll do anything, this HDR to SDR problem has never really been solved.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  5. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

A lot of cheap android box has good conversition hdr to sdr. For examp mi box, beelink, mecool km9 etc..
    But zidoo cant solve this problem

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

This is a HW function done by the SOC (Chipset) it is either available or not. Himedia, Dinobot and Egreat use the same Hisilicon SOC, but Zidoo uses the Realtek SOC.
    I am not so sure the Realtek chips have it build-in? Only the RTD1296 e.g. has upscaling capabilities and RTD1295 has not. Can't be added via a simple FW change, just be activated if it is in there. The same for cheap models it all depends on the chip used.

We may blame Zidoo for not telling us openly, but telling that something can't be done is not a real chinese habit.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  7. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

Zidoo couldn't solve this problem. Is there any hope?

8. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I don't know for sure that it is a SOC related problem but I suspect so. No then it won't be solved.
    Obviously any degradation related to recent FW updates should be possible to be reverted again.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  9. Fatih Durmus

Fatih Durmus Member

Can anybody try hdr to sdr conversion on x9s (on 1080p screen)

10. failax

failax Member

Does not work too.

11. Siju Thomas

Siju Thomas New Member

My hdr to SDR conversion works well on X10 , if you tell me the movie I can send you pictures . The tone mapping is not perfect but it’s very watchable with deep blacks on my Sony HX925 1080p tv . My other screen is a A1Oled which has Z9s connected .