HDD operation on Zidoo X9S

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by viggen66, Oct 26, 2016.

1. viggen66

viggen66 New Member

Dear Users,

I'm thinking of buying this machine, mainly because of the SATA support, because I really need HDD attached to the box.

How does Zidoo X9S handles HDD, is it always on and spinning, or there is a switch to turn on/off the HDD?

I have this question because sometimes I like to watch streaming, others watch a file stored on the HDD.

Does this box supports auto-framerate?

Thanks

2. GoldBar

GoldBar Member

I have an Orico with 5 HDDs hooked to x9s through USB3.0 .... total of close to 20TB.
    The Orico box or a separate HDD will get into sleep mode on no activity for a period of time.

3. spring

spring Guest

Hi
    we support all framerate auto-framerate.

4. viggen66

viggen66 New Member

Thanks for your replies and spring for the auto frame rate.

So for my understanding as the box boots, the HDD starts spinning, and after a idle time, it goes to sleep mode.

I'm talking about direct connect to the box via sata. There isn't any setting that enables disables HDD then.

Thanks

5. spawn_lmg

spawn_lmg Active Member Beta test group

Dont work 30/60 frame-rate!

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Not with my experience: All HDD via the SATA connector and via USB3 will all keep spinning when powered on. They do shut down only when Powered off or put in sleep mode using the remote. Have also 5 HDD's connected (potentially 40 TB). Maybe did not wait long enough, can also be a feature of the docking station itself (mine is a fantec-qb-35us3-6g)?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  7. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Sleep time needs to be set for every hdd using a PC and software from manufacturer. For example: i have a seagate HDD, using seagate tool i have sleep set to 5 minute. If the box is powerd one and plays.. youtube. The hdd wil stop after 5 minutes. And start again if i acces it via Samba or play something from it in zdmc

8. viggen66

viggen66 New Member

Better still. For my opinion is to have an app or a setting which could enable HDD spining. Because for my experience I use 80% streaming and 20% HDD.

I don't like knowing that, whenever I power the box the HDD is spinning with no particular reason.

If I want to see any video of a file stored on HDD. Just activate HDD, other way just leave it off all the time. Or even a setting that I could for instance turn on HDD whenever the box boots or manually turn it on. That would be good solution that would make everyone happy.

9. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

Not going to happen. Just set the hdd sleep like i told you. And you are set

10. viggen66

viggen66 New Member

Too bad, it was my buying point, since it doesn't do what I want, is not worth buying it. I have a Toshiba HDD, I think there's no Utility for this brand to setup sleep idle time.

11. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

your buying point was a feature that does not exist on android ?:) and probably never will. as android is not build to work with hard disks..

hddscan has a option in power management to set up sleep time for any HDD. you are just lazy

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  12. viggen66

viggen66 New Member

Haoos

Your saying is not correct, I own a TV box that can enable disable on your choice HDD, but its firmware is so bad and so full of bugs than I want to switch to something worthwhile.

For what I have seen most users are switching to zidoo x9s, because they said good things about this box. Probably going to buy my own unit.

The quality build of this box is pretty good and see good support from the company.

13. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

they most have a custom firmware then. i know of no such setting. But there are other thigs zidoo needs to fix first. So don't hope for this setting soon.

14. GoldBar

GoldBar Member

My Orico 5HDDs takes about 30min to shut itself down. I believe that the separated HDDs get into a sleep mode on no activity much earlier.

15. Nice Monkey

Spin-down is a complicated subject. The OS may do it, A HDD enclosure/docking may do it, the HDD firmware may do it. But all options can be overridden by any activity caused by any application or the OS.

Conclusion here is that Android does not do it. I can confirm that for all players I have laid my hands on thus far.

16. HaoSs

HaoSs Well-Known Member

I have 3 internal hdd, different manifacturers and age. All where able to spin down using hddscan. So thats the best bet.

17. Nice Monkey

Thanks good to know and agreed it is the best bet.

In fact there are only 2 manufacturers left Seagate and Western Digital and all brands currently sold are made by either of these 2.

18. viggen66

viggen66 New Member

I own a Toshiba DT 3 Terabytes, so after applying that the sleep mode, the problem would be fixed, but if Zidoo could add that option, it would be perfect, still this box is on early development, but it has great results, and work great, it seems to be a excellent purchase.

19. iMak

iMak New Member

20. jamil

jamil Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

hi iMak,
    We don't have this Hub, but we have 4 USB Hub,it is fine
    upload_2016-11-9_17-47-56.png

hope it help you,thx!