Feature request: standby modus with network

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by cenodude, Jul 23, 2023.

1. cenodude

cenodude New Member

The topic says it all. Currently there is no real standby modus. In idle modus the device still takes around 10watt.

Would be great to have a standby modus with network (WoL) that takes considerable less power but still is accessible by app and roon.

Trebz likes this.
  2. Kopczas

Kopczas Member

There is hardware limitation for WoL as far as I know.

3. cenodude

cenodude New Member

Not sure about this. I think it works on Nvidia Shield. Anyways, if it doesnt work then keep the network process operational and sleep all other processes.

Perhaps the problem is more related to european laws as devices that provide standby are limited to 0.5/1watt in standby modus.

4. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

It’s a hardware limitation to the A6, I don’t know what it has got to do with the Shield. This has been discussed multiple times, the network module isn’t active in standby.

5. cenodude

cenodude New Member

What standby are you talking about? To my knowledge there is no real standby. But your missing my point, with or without WOL. My FUNCTIONAL feature request: Enable standby where the network module wont be disabled. So If there is a hardware limit or whatever, just dont disable it but disable all other processes as much as possible. +10 watt idle power is insane for such device and absolsute unnecessary in 2023.

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The A6 consumes approx. 10W while powered up and approx. 1W in Standby.

(It's about 8W in screen saver if the screen is off)

Unfortunately in Standby the SOC doesn't support WOL as the network card is powered down - essentially only the IR card is powered.

A "fake" standby would be possible but that kind of defeats the object.

7. cenodude

cenodude New Member

Thank you for the info, much appriciated. What is standby in your opinion, isnt that basically turning the device off. Cause it takes approx 26 seconds before its operational, so i'm not sure if you can call this standby. But perhaps i'm missing something here?

8. Markswift2003

Essentially yes, but even though the OS still has to boot I would still categorise it as "Standby" since power is still being consumed and it can be powered on from a software action (IR or Volume Knob).

It's extremely unfortunate that WOL or even RS232 cannot be used. I come from a CI background (Crestron) so any device that cannot be discretely controlled from a control system is very frustrating.

9. cenodude

cenodude New Member

Yeah, in essence you might be right. I love the device, dont get me wrong but i think this is really a design flaw. Turning the device off/standby would be ok, if it was not the long boot time of +/- 26 seconds. Even my PC boots faster using W11. But oke, it is what it is and hopefully in the future they will use hibernate or something to speed booting.

For now, i will just keep the device online.

10. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

You asked and we tried to help you, this is how you reply. You’re very kind.

11. cenodude

cenodude New Member

Excuse me, sir. It was a genuine question on your reaction. Odd thing is you blaming me of not reacting kind (in-your-opinion) but i've found your intital reaction on my post also not extremely helpfull or 'kind' in that matter.
    The reaction of MarkSwift2003 was providing me with enough information. So thank you for participating in my thread and i wish you a good day sir.

12. cenodude

cenodude New Member

So for people who are interested in this topic. In my opinion and testing, the device uses around 12watt non-stop in Europe (uses more than my Denon X6700H and NAD C298 in standby together) and generate heat that i dont like. This is with the screen off. My conclussion (based on the reactions i've received) is that the device doesnt have a proper standby functionality with network support.

My own solution is that i'm going to configure Home Assistant (HA) that will turn-on the device with IR blaster based on automation scripts that i've build with HA. In general; if trying to stream somthing (i use ROON by the way) and device is off, turn on the device (IR blaster), turn on my receiver (Denon X6700H in my case) and turn on NAD C298 poweramp (by trigger function)

It's not a great solution but the best i can do to have some automation and limit unnecessary heat and power consumption for this device. Ofcourse i'm already using HA extensively, else this whole exerticse doesnt make any sense ofcourse.

Thanks again for the people who where willing to have a discssion in this topic. Much appriciated

13. Markswift2003

Well I'm with you on this - my entire house is Crestron controlled and I have Room On and Room Off commands for particular activities and this requires discrete On and discrete Off commands for all devices. Wherever possible I use RS232 (yes, I'm that old!!) which is still used in the CI world because it's robust, uses a wire, and doesn't react badly to sunlight (IR) or to your kids crashing your network (IP).

The problem you're still going to face is that the A6 IR protocol is a standard NEC one but there isn't discrete On/Off, only a Power toggle, so you don't know the state of the device.

In the Crestron world we overcome this with a power sensor - essentially a hall effect device that measures current and you set limits so for example with the A6, if power >= 5W, it's "On" and if not, it's "Off" so the control system always knows the state and is therefore able to send the "Power" command to turn the system On of Off depending on its state.

Interesting conversation :)

14. cenodude

cenodude New Member

Thanks for your reaction. RS232 controlled devices are still the best from a reliability point-of-view, no doubt about that.

You make a valid point that IR is only one-way direction. I can however validate in HA if the device was powered on as network connectivity will be available. The problem with this could be the extensive time required before the device is available, although i've not yet tested during boot sequence when IP/NIC is actual available.

Another possibilitiy would be using smart power connectors (2-way) and set the DMP-A6 to automatic boot when power is available. The problem is that i dont know how good or trustfull the power supply is from the DMP-A6 device. Most vendors (like bluesound) absolutely dont recommend this scenario. When using smart power connectors i can indeed make an IF statement in HA to check if power => xW as you did with in the Crestron world.

Or (just realizing this while typing....) i can make a combination of above. Smart Power connectors to validate power output, and activate the device with IR. This way i can validate much faster if it was succesful.

Any thoughts?

15. Markswift2003

Yes, if you can do that with HA (I've never used it) essentially you're doing the same as I would with a Crestron current sensor and a bit of IF/ELSE logic.

It would be better if the devs could add discrete IR power commands then you could just send powerOn or powerOff and not need to care about the state. I'll suggest this as it would make home automation integration a lot easier although I have to admit they've been very quiet of late...

16. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I guess all energy goes to the new RTD1619BPD Zidoo models. Lots of things needing attention with just the new Android and matching SDK.
    I understand that needs urgent attention as the old models are End Of Sales.

17. cenodude

cenodude New Member

I think you're right and would make life a little bit easier. I'm going to wait till there will be some updates (hopefully) as another problem i have is that the device in 'standby/off' mode obvious wont be visual in my Roon client (or any other client for that matter). Not a big problem for myself, not so for my wife :) There is roon integration in HA so perhaps i can find a way to blast IR to the device in advance.

For now i'm just going back to my WiiM pro device as my default streamer (it uses a whopping 1.7Watt with network activated) and use the DMP A6 for specific usage.
    I still think the DMP A6 is a wonderfull and solid device with some great features and can become a solid 8 or higher (price vs quality) when software would be more optimized.