Dynamic range compression ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by OlivierQC, Aug 6, 2021.

1. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Hello,

A question that may be stupid or that has already been posted.

Some TVs have it for the built-in speakers and many receivers have it but it is more common at the higher end.

But is it possible to have this feature with a future FW or it is not possible on a Zidoo Devices ?

Could it be useful with a Zidoo or not really useful ?

Could this help users of Zidoo devices depending on their audio equipment?

Thanks in advance

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It certainly wouldn't work for bitstream audio since you can only compress the audio streams after decoding and Zidoo don't have licencing for that. It would also require the output to then be in some form of PCM - problematic for object based rather than channel based codecs.

I'm not really sure of any benefit to doing this at a source - what do you want to achieve?

3. OlivierQC

Hello Mark,

According to one person because the sound is not perfect with the Zidoo there is no sound balance on all channels, he has an oppo 203 and gives a better sound than the zidoo z9x.

But I guess that Android boxes are not capable and it is better to let the receiver in my opinion ?

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Compression wouldn't be the answer if that was the case but I'm always amused by people's comments that a bitstream from one device sounds different to that exact same same bitstream from another device. It's a bit like saying one HDMI cable can give a better image quality or sound quality than another HDMI cable - with respect to that one person, it's utter nonsense.

Inikad and Netmask like this.
  5. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I've done installations and setups for a handful of technophobic friends who prefer a far more limited dynamic range, basically I suspect they would just prefer sound at a constant perceived loudness :( As a retired sound mixer, sound designer and musician this offends my whole artistic sensibility! A few A/V amps and TV's have "late night viewing" function to listen at low levels not to disturb others or in an apartment block that has late night regulations (very common in Australia). So I appreciate the OP's request but I don't believe it's a function that belongs in a media player like the Zidoo or any other brand, it properly belongs in the A/V amplifier.

6. OlivierQC

Thank you both for your explanations :)

Now I remember having tested this feature a few years ago to avoid disturbing the neighbors and I did not find it positive, we lose all the dynamics of the soundtrack to my taste.

See you soon