DVD AUDIO DTS ISSUE

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by demagog, Oct 26, 2020.

1. demagog

demagog New Member

I have several DVD audio files. However when choosing DTS format either directly from menu or during playback there is no sound. Moreover even if DTS format is chosen from menu it starts with either PCM or Dolby Digital format. After changing into DTS there is no sound or it crashes. Have anyone experienced the same issues?
    I have the latest firmware

2. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

What are your audio settings? S/PDIF or HDMI?

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

No Android based media player supports DVD-Audio tracks coded with MLP High Definition Audio 2CH and MCH. DVD-Video with DTS audio tracks should play though. Many DVD-Audio are hybrid and also are playable on normal DVD-Video players playing the DVD-Video audio tracks.
    This is valid for all Zidoo models including HiFi players like UHD2000.

Have seen a lot of DVD-Audio hybrids bad rips for the DVD-Video folder only and not including the DTS tracks. You need to look for a full rip even to play the DVD-Video compatible DTS tracks.

I presume you are talking HD Music DVD here with the AUDIO_TS folder being used too.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Markswift2003 likes this.
  4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

@Nice Monkey , you are the Audio Master!

Or should that be the Master-Audio.

5. demagog

demagog New Member

I am talking about DVD audio with AUDIO TS folders which are played by mine 12 years old DVICO TVIX 6500 without any issue so it is not about bad rip but about firmware. I found out that after switching to DTS there is no sound but when you fast-forward few seconds it starts to play but not on all rips. Mine settings are all set to pass through.

6. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The only thing I can say for sure is that Zidoo does NOT support MLP DVD-Audio and yes I have seen many bad rips because of people not understanding how to rip DVD-Audio correctly.
    It could be that Zidoo should do a better job on reading the DVD-Video compatibility portion of those albums? This requires perfect DVD Menu processing which is known to be far from perfect on almost all Android based media players including Zidoo. Yes, older generation players did a far better job there. So you may have a valid problem point there. :(
    But even when it works don't have the illusion that you are listening then to DVD-Audio as it is meant to sound. They often don't even use the same master recording tracks for those on purpose. :p
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio

DVD-Audio can sound fantastic above all in high definition MCH MLP which is lossless compressed 5.1 channel 24-bit 96 kHz or even 24-bit 192 kHz LPCM audio but never became mainstream. DVD-Audio has been superseded by Pure Audio Blu-ray which includes the same formats but then uncompressed as space is not a problem on those. Due to that space restriction not all DVD-Audio albums include also a DVD-Video compatibility section as they may use all available space for High Definition audio (as skipping the Hybrid CD-layer with SACD for that same reason).

I asked Zidoo already to add DVD-Audio support to at least their HiFi models. ;)
    Obviously this requires a new driver to decompress MLP audio. Processing power required for that should not be a problem.

History of MCH HD Audio: QUAD-LP => SACD => DVD-Audio => Pure Audio BD
    Official DTS-CD is somewhere in between as it is MCH but not really HD (occasionally 20 bit though). Warning: There are many fake just upscaled DTS-CD floating around.
    QUAD-LP analog master transitions to DTS-CD and occasional even DVD-Audio or SACD may sound surprisingly well for even very old recordings. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020