Dual layer DV playback red push on Z9x pro?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by JYinLaw, Aug 9, 2023.

1. JYinLaw

JYinLaw New Member

Hi guys I just got my z9x pro today and I found the DV m2ts looks a bit weird, hopefully it can be seen on the pictures here, the first one is played in DV on iTunes on ATV, the second one is played on z9x pro, it is a DTDL DV M2ts file. It is pretty obvious that the second picture has a reddish tint to it. I've watched The Batman many times on many devices to my eyes the first one is more accurate. On the z9x pro DV is set to TV-LED, although I also tried player-led with no improvement. HDR is set to auto, the colo setting is left to default. Any idea why is it like this? Is there anyway to solve it?

Attached Files:

Jatapong likes this.
  2. Do you have another Dolby Vision title in the same format to rule out if this is a single exception or if it is a structural issue?

3. The difference is notable for my eyes.

4. JYinLaw

JYinLaw New Member

Yeah it is far less noticeable on other files. I just tried Aquaman uhd Blu-ray on a Blu-ray player and bdmv m2ts on z9x pro, I can’t really see much difference at all, but the Blu-ray player does seem to be consistently brighter than z9x pro, not by much but noticeable when switching sources back and forth. But for the Batman file, I tried the same file with Infuse on ATV as well, the z9x pro still produce a more red ish image than ATV

5. I have not noticed color differences with my Z2000 Pro or my old Z9X....however I agree that both my players produce al slightly darker picture with both HDR and Dolby Vision in comparison with my Panasonic ub9004.

6. JYinLaw

JYinLaw New Member

This is my first Zidoo device, so I can’t compare it to another Zidoo device. But you said it is darker than your Blu-ray player too, do you ever find it bothersome? Anyway to improve it?

7. I do not find it bothersome because the difference is noticeable yet too small to be of concern.

After owning many media players and bluray players in my life I have come to the conclusion that each and every one has a slightly difference in how to present a visual picture and in many times it is not really a question of better or worse but more a question of wich you prefer more or less.

Just as it is with high end audio....from a certain level of quality it is not better or worse....it is just a different way of how all components together present a different presentation of the same music.

8. DrGiggles

DrGiggles Member

The Zidoo's P7->P8.1 algorithm doesn’t remove mapping data, which will cause incorrect colors (like dovi_tool old mode 2).

9. JYinLaw

JYinLaw New Member

Oh what? But one of the major selling points of zidoo over nvidia shield pro is that it is supposed to play DV profile 7 fine while Nvidia shield pro has red push on profile 7, if zidoo has color problem on profile 7, what is the point of getting a zidoo:(

Jatapong likes this.
  10. DrGiggles

DrGiggles Member

But it would be easy to fix, dovi_tool is open source.

11. JYinLaw

JYinLaw New Member

what do you mean easy to fix? There is a way to fix it on my own? Or is it something that Zidoo have to update

12. DrGiggles

DrGiggles Member

On Zidoo side.

13. JYinLaw

JYinLaw New Member

But Zidoo has had its profile 7 playing functions for so many years, if it has always had this problem, and it couldve been easily fixed, wouldnt they have fixed it a long time ago. If they chose to not fix it for such a long time, how could we trust them to fix it now. Unless you mean this is a new problem that has just arisen

14. DrGiggles

DrGiggles Member

This feature is available in dovi_tool from version 2.0 (30 January): https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool/releases.
    The Zidoo developers are not paying enough attention to this, even though I have already pointed it out to them. By the way, I have also reported it to Dune, but they don't fix it either.
    Currently the quietvoid's android Kodi build and CoreELEC on the Homatics box works properly.

15. JYinLaw

JYinLaw New Member

Now that i am taking about this too but no zidoo personnel is responding at all, maybe they just dont care

16. stani

stani New Member

Can be on your TV during HDR projection, set the Gamma? If so, set to 2.0.

17. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Wait, can you please explain this? Are you saying that the Zidoo doesn't play P7 correct? Or are you saying it doesn't play P8.1 correctly? I don't understand. Does this also effect DV Profile 7 MKV files? Or is this something with M2TS files specifically?

@Markswift2003 , any idea what's going on here?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2023
  18. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

You're on your own - I'm not getting involved in this nonsense :D

geebolt and xskip like this.
  19. Jimbo Randy

Ha, why is it nonsense? I'm just trying to understand. Would this only be "an issue" with M2TS files?

20. Jimbo Randy

Nevermind I understand now. The Zidoo can't process FEL, so if FEL changes colors at all, the Zidoo won't be able to reproduce that color change, hence the issues.