Dsd is being converted to pcm

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mikoz, Nov 21, 2020.

1. mikoz

mikoz New Member

I have many dsd files on my Nas. When I play them on the z9x, the player is converting dsd to pcm.
    How do I play back dsd in native dsd format over hdmi? The player is converting the dsd tracks to pcm, I instead wish to pass native dsd over hdmi. I have tired various settings in the Audio setup and there’s no impact to this.

Using an opportunity 203, I am able to play the dsd files in dsd format over hdmi. So I am positive this is possible and can be passed to my Av processor.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

No Android based Media Player I know does support DSD over HDMI. Dune included MCH DSD => MCH PCM with a recent FW update using RTD1619 SOC. So at least that can be done on this HW.
    For now I do convert MCH DSD to MCH FLAC myself.

With the latest FW DSD over USB should work using an external DAC (experimental).
    8. Added USB Audio output (PCM original sampling rate, DSD Native as a experimental function, Zidoo will not be responsible for USB DAC compatibility)
    Did not try it myself as I use other Music Player App's for that.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  3. mikoz

mikoz New Member

That stinks. How can something like an oppo 203 which is primarily a disc player have this ability and a dedicated media player not have it?
    It will play the dsd files unlike the zappiti, but it’s converting them to pcm and on at least one occasion I could clearly tell it was doing it it incorrectly and on another occasion it refused to play it at all. The oppo had no issues.
    It really sucks to buy a generic media player and find such limitations.

Osmar likes this.
  4. CGI

CGI Member

Hi, @mikoz - you are not alone - I did not manage to play DSD over HDMI either. Z1000pro -> Denon AVR-x3600h, whatever I tried.:(. MusicPlayer says original sampling rate 2.82 MHz, Output Sampling - 176K PCM. Also observed, like you, that some times MediaPlayer refuses to play them at all.
    @Nice Monkey
    1. It is not about MCH DSD - 2 channel DSD does not play
    2. Native "bitperfect" DSD over USB does not work for me as well z1000pro -> smsl SU8 DAC. MediaPlayer crashes or no sound at all in all zidoo apps.
    BUT HiBy music player recognizes the external DAC, asks for permission to use it and plays DSD an everything trough USB perfectly well at native bitrate. So it is a SW problem.
    This has been the case since .45 FW. Now with .66 - no change though experimental - "With the latest FW DSD over USB should work using an external DAC (experimental)"
    @mirror - "shenzhenaudio.com/pages/about-us" which SU8 DAC I used (though same with a TEAC one) - their HQ are just 2 blocks away from your HQ :)
    It would be nice to have a list with external DACs that it was tested with and proved working
    P.S. The issue has been reported/discussed here as well:
    ZIDOO Z10 PRO

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Osmar likes this.
  5. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

Can I plug in a USB A cable to one of the side ports of the Zidoo Z1000 Pro to my Musical Fidelity DAC USB-B in?

Will that transfer music files in RAW Bitstream to the external DAC?

Just to ask before I'm going to buy such a cable. ;-)

6. mikoz

mikoz New Member

It’s a step up from the zappiti which won’t play them at all, but the conversion to pcm by the z9x, if it works at all, is sometimes just flat out wrong.

It’s sad that a media player can’t play something like a dsd file natively. I guess it’s considered ‘obscure’ and therefore not a high priority, but some dsd tracks are simply amazing played natively.

Osmar and CGI like this.
  7. CGI

CGI Member

Yes, in my experience :)
    I have zidoo1000pro ->USB A->USB B ->external DAC (smsl su8)->analog RCA - > Amplifier
    and it works perfectly well for me, in native bitrate including DSD :)
    BUT you have to use Hiby music player (can download it from Play store). Zidoo MP doesn't do the job :(
    And you have to enable USB audio in settings.

Osmar likes this.
  8. Topdude

Topdude Active Member

Thanks!
    I’ll get that app and a cable.

9. mikoz

mikoz New Member

I guess I have to use a Blu-ray player to my Nas audio files because a ‘media player’ won’t play the files properly. That’s just silly. If oppo got into the processor game before hanging it up, they would have made a killer product and likely obsoleted all media players.

10. Nice Monkey

@Topdude According to the change list HibyMusic Player is not needed anymore with the FW update!

Using Hiby, USB Audio Player Pro and others works even on the older generations Zidoo Players:
    https://www.futeko.com/newforum/index.php?topic=3868.0
    Nothing new about that. The problem is controlling those which requires a pointer mouse. Worse Android dislikes RF pointer mouse's in combination with an USB DAC. Never found a solution for that. If you got it solved please share your setup.

I liked the integrated Music Player handling with UHD2000 including swapping between 2CH (music via DAC) and MCH (movies via HDMI) modes. The coming UHD3000 seems to include an External USB2 input and could be a valid alternative for my current setup.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  11. CGI

CGI Member

I have to excuse myself - Nice Monkey is right - with this version no other app is needed - zidoo MP does the job.
    The silly reason for my mistake is that when using MP for first time with USB DAC in .66 for some reason the initial MP volume was set to min :( , (though when playing via HDMI it was to max)
    But still DSD is played at 172KHz
    Also - I use a RF mouse in combination with USB DAC - and have no problem :)

12. Nice Monkey

Lucky you. Tried several mouse. Maybe it is the DAC's USB interface (Amanero)?

13. CGI

CGI Member

Sorry, not so technical :(
    Here are the specs:
    https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...hz-dsd512-dac-usb-optical-coaxial-su8-decoder
    ES9038Q2M*2

Have another one - TEAC UD-H01 - tested - also no problem. ( PCM1795 dual DAC)
    http://audio.teac.com/product/ud-h01/

Ordered a 3rd one with AKM AK4497EQ - supposed to arrive Dec 1st - will report

Want to have the whole spectrum of DAC chps :)

14. mikoz

mikoz New Member

I don’t get the desire to play over usb and output an analog signal unless you’ve got a small secondary system. If you’re the type of person who uses dsd files you’ve likely got a relatively high end system with a good processor or receiver and probably use room correction. Wouldn’t you want to do all of the decoding on your processor over hdmi instead of converting to analog to feed into your processor?

Osmar likes this.
  15. myzidoo

myzidoo Active Member Beta test group

Agree to all said.
    The problem simply lies with the HDMI drivers. I don't know what the situation is on android but on PC it's simply a no-go as whether Nvidia, nor AMD or INTEL have implemented DSD bitstreaming in their drivers. It's clearly a market niche and multichannel DSD is a vanishing ..dunno...0.2% of the market. It's a pitty. I use an exasound E28 which has only asio drivers for PC.
    And yes DSD or DSD multichannel sounds great. Now does it sound better than multichannel PCM ? Don't want to go there ! I would love to find a solution with the zidoo. I don't even know if technically Zidoo could enable DSD bitstreaming over HDMI. Several AV receiver are able to accept it over HDMI IN. Let's see if they find a way. On the other side another point is clearly convolution and room correction: DSD native is close to uneditable or you use $$$$ for tools from merging technologies....so the sooner you want to "influence" the sound the sooner you will be in the PCM realm....
    Let's see what ZIDOO can do. They have already been courageous with their Dolby Vision implementation so we might be surprised.

And the answer to this question :
    is simple :

because Oppo "was" a FULLY LICENCED player. All these functionality need LICENSES.....and BTW they also had drawbacks : Oppo because they where a fully licenced player had to remove/disable ISO playback for example.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  16. mikoz

mikoz New Member

I don’t think there’s a license needed to play dsd over hdmi. There’s a license needed for hdmi usage, but this has already been paid as part of the player.

If you believe there’s a specific license for dsd over hdmi, please advise of the specifics.

Osmar likes this.
  17. myzidoo

myzidoo Active Member Beta test group

I do not talk about the licencing requirement of zidoo. I say OPPO is/was a fully licenced SACD player which was allowed to implement all DSD transport means. Oppo was an universal player and not a "media player" in the zidoo, dune, zappiti kind of way.
    BTW : If you find me one media player which bitstreams DSD over HDMI let me know and then apologies because your rant at zidoo would be justified.;)

18. mikoz

mikoz New Member

Just trying to understand the issue. Is it licensing, android, chipset, lack of interest of implementing the feature, etc?

I was just saying I don’t think it’s licensing. I doubt is Android either. I can’t find a reference to that chipset being able to output dsd directly, I am guessing that’s the issue.

Osmar likes this.