ZIDOO Z10 PRO

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by DELUCAS, Aug 4, 2020.

1. compingharry

compingharry New Member

Do I understand correctly that my WD TV Live (10 years old??) can play DVD menu's without any flaws, and new devices like Zidoo and Dune having problems with (simple?) DVD menu's?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Indeed. Has no priority under Android apparently as DVD is not so popular anymore. I have a feeling all brands are using the same crummy piece of code for it.

The same with playing good old AVI's in DIVX format which is not supported by Zidoo (XVID is) for license/cost reasons?

3. compingharry

compingharry New Member

Thank you for your information...As a Star Trek fan: Voyager and Deep Space 9 are only in DVD format (5/9) ...so I have to try to concert DVD's to MKV files (if possible) or keep my WD TV Live for old time's sake...For the most I am only interested in playing high quality MKV files (and Bluray ISO/BDMV and UHD in the near future), although I am only watching Full HD (1080 dpi) right now, but do not want to make compromises regarding picture and sound quality (I never used DIVX, AVI, MPEG or otherwise to play movies). No working backward compatibility for DVD seems a little bit absurd but understandable...Most sofware developpers leave the past the past very easily....

4. Nice Monkey

DVD's may have Menu problems but normally will still all play as they should. No need to convert them mostly.

5. Max Sokrut

Max Sokrut New Member

Guys, does anyone have issues with raw sound while playing SACD ISO? Zidoo Z10 Pro should support lossless playback of DSD64 on SACD ISO, but my Onkyo TX-NR3009 receives converted sound into PCM 176.4 only. I've set Zidoo Z10 Pro into raw audio settings but it hasn't helped.

P.S. My Oppo BDP-93 transfers DSD64 to Onkyo TX-NR3009 with no problem.

6. Nice Monkey

No native DSD output with Zidoo. It is always converted to PCM and 2CH only. I know my Pioneer BDP-LX55 does it all too just like your OPPO.
    There is no Android based media player that can do it by my knowledge.

Max Sokrut likes this.
  7. Max Sokrut

Max Sokrut New Member

In this case Zidoo tells a lie to its retailers and customers: there's no lossless playback including SACD ISO.

boxerfan likes this.
  8. Nice Monkey

SACD is converted to High Definition PCM 24-bit 172,4 kHz which is not totally lossless but very close to it. Calling it a lie is very strong worded a slight exaggeration it is though. You need a very good audio setup to hear the difference and some may even prefer PCM but personally I prefer DSD.

9. Max Sokrut

Max Sokrut New Member

Actually I do hear difference between DSD and PCM. And difference is huge! Because of that I prefer DSD64 on SACD and DSD128/DSD256 with my Fiio K5 Pro DAC and Beyerdynamics headphones.

I'm definitely sure as a lawyer that if Zidoo tells about lossless playback it has to be really lossless (native and raw) but not converted. Pity but Zidoo does lie in this case.

10. CGI

CGI Member

If it helps - I managed to play DSD in native mode with the following configuration:
    z1000 pro->USB->external DAC
    You have to enable USB audio on Zidoo from the menu.
    BUT - the only app capable of bypassing Android conversion (where IMHO is the core problem) is HiBy player (believe me tried quite a bunch)
    In this configuration the ext. DAC display shows DSD 64, 128, etc.

11. Max Sokrut

Max Sokrut New Member

I'm aware about this opportunity but my task is to transfer DSD64 stream to receiver's DACs. Therefore external DAC with Zidoo Z10 Pro via USB is not an option.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  12. skelton

skelton Member

I`ve had the Z10 Pro for a few weeks now and have been able to compare it to my older X20 and one thing i noticed almost right away is how much better HDR looks on the Z10 Pro vs the older X20. I always thought black levels in HDR looked washed out compared to SDR which always had deeper blacks when i watch on my Sony VW760 projector.
    But with the Z10 Pro, black levels are very deep & inky just like they are supposed to be in HDR. This is using the Auto setting for HDR in the player. If i instead use the VS10 Dolby output, the blacks looks washed out similar to how they looked on the X20. Apparently, this is a known issue with the VS10 conversion which @Markswift2003 wrote about in this post

Anyone else coming from an X20 and noticed the better blacks for HDR?

13. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

D3BED782-275E-4898-9D4E-0535A53BCB8F.jpeg Upgrade and Test Time :) :)

McBluna and SandorM like this.
  14. DELUCAS

Bit bigger than mine ;)
    But 5 Year peace of mind Gtee ( Silent Running ) and should last me circa 1 - 1.5 years before going 8tb ssd :)

id imagine Zidoo should take beyond 16tb .

15. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Nice! This is my latest addition :)
    20201113_124605.jpg

SandorM and DELUCAS like this.
  16. McBluna

max size from Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro specs is 14TB.

17. DELUCAS

but should go beyond ......
    16tb working ok on the Zidoo ?

18. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

Congratulations Delucas :)

DELUCAS likes this.
  19. McBluna

I'm collecting full iso UHD blu rays and this take a lot of HDD space.

DELUCAS likes this.
  20. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

at the next update of their website it will be 16tb :)

DELUCAS likes this.