Downgrade Zidoo Z9X Pro / Factory Reset

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Frostb!te, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Frostb!te

Frostb!te Member

EDIT, TL;DR: I had issues with the upgrade. This is the summary up until post #11. The flash process didn't start at first (just showed Zidoo logo) and when it started it got stuck at 8%. What did help for me was:
    • To get the firmware flash process starting: not just make sure the USB stick is FAT32, but also reformat it upfront to make the file system totally clean and have just the img file on the usb stick
    • Aborting at 8% progress where I got stuck didn't cause any harm on the device
    • To get further than 8%: try a different usb stick. For some reason a very good Sandisk Extreme didn't work. But an older Intenso one did.
    ------------------------

I am trying to downgrade to v1.0.52 according to this post by @Markswift2003.

I turned off the device, pressed the RESTORE button and kept pressing while powering on the device. After that, according to the official guide, neither the so called "schedule" was shown, nor it was not shown, nor a green screen was shown. It just showed up the Zidoo logo. I released the RESTORE button after 1 minute, after loosing strength. It's still showing the logo for 30 minutes now.

The documentation says "turn on the power". I turned it on with the power switch at the back of the device. Is that correct? Or should I have turned it on with the remote control from standby, instead?

And I noticed, the official documentation says I shall rename the rom file to "install.img". The guide from @McBluna says it shall be renamed to "image.img" instead. I followed the official guide, atm.

What shall I do now? I dont want to risk bricking it. If it requires 48 hours to factory reset, I'll just keep it running.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2023
  2. Frostb!te

Frostb!te Member

After two hours, I powered it off now. It still works. Neither "image.img", nor interpreting the "turn on" as "click on your remote control power on button" works.

So this can't be factory resetted?

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

The file name should be install.img.

These are the instructions I wrote for myself. It takes a few minutes.

1. Copy file to empty FAT32 USB stick

2. Rename file to "install.img"

3. Turn off player using switch on back

4. Plug USB into USB 3.0 Port (a blue one)

5. Press and hold reset button with something pointy while applying power

6. Wait for on screen confirmation before releasing reset button.

Use at your own risk.

4. Frostb!te

Frostb!te Member

Thanks, I did exactly that. There is no confirmation screen. There's just the zidoo logo.

1) double checked to use FAT 32, yes
    2) double checked the file name "install.img", yes
    3) double checked to turn off on the device via back button, yes
    4) double checked to use the only back port usb, yes
    5) double checked to press and hold the reset button while powering on the device. I use paper clip. I can hear and feel a good click feedback, yes
    6) How long shall I wait? I can wait for minutes and all I see is the Zidoo logo

5. Frostb!te

Frostb!te Member

Now I am seeing the start installation screen.

Solution: FAT32 is not enough. It seems to not like any or some remaining data. So format the stick again to make sure it's clean...

6. Markswift2003

What is the original filename?

Definitely using a USB file not an OTA one?

As far as I remember you shouldn't see the Zidoo logo, only the update screen. Takes a few seconds to appear and the whole process only a few minutes.

7. Frostb!te

Frostb!te Member

We posted at the same time, I am one step further now (see above) =)
    It's running for a minute now and is stuck at 8%. I'll let it run some minutes now and let you know the result

8. Markswift2003

Fingers crossed.

9. Frostb!te

Frostb!te Member

Well, 10 minutes are over. Even 20 minutes and I am still stuck at 8%. My screen looks like this:
    (w/o the information in the corners, with proper aspect ratio and 8%).
    upload_2023-11-26_17-51-32.png

Any ideas?

btw do you know what vfd means according to the official guide?

10. Markswift2003

Sorry, no - on the rare occasions I've done this, it just trugs along to the end. Couldn't tell you exactly how long, but certainly not 20 minutes, or even 10.

The only thing I can think of is a dodgy USB stick which also ties in with your earlier experience.

VFD is an acronym for Vacuum Flourescent Display - the display on the front.

Frostb!te likes this.
  11. Frostb!te

Frostb!te Member

I am back at v1.0.52 @Markswift2003, thank you.

I powerd off the device at 8%. Didn't seem to hurt the device. Booted up normally.

Then I tried a different USB stick. Also formatted it to FAT32. The one that worked was a dogdy old INTENSO USB stick. My swiss knife Sandisk Extreme (with >100 MB\s) aborted. I use it for everything (including flashing firmware onto subwoofers) and I never had issues with it. I think my Z9X Pro is dodgy :oops:

12. Markswift2003

To be fair it's quite a sketchy process anyway and I'd never advise anyone to do it without good reason.

Just for your information, the Z9X Pro I use in my cinema is currently at v1.0.58 ;)

Frostb!te likes this.