Dolby Vision with m2ts files

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Knuknu, Apr 26, 2022.

1. Knuknu

Knuknu New Member

Hi Guys,

is there any way play a m2ts file (that includes a Dolby Vision stream) and trigger the Dolby Vision playback with the Z9X player (or any other Zidoo player)? Or do have to bring the m2ts file to a BDMV folder structure first?

Thank you!

2. darky_zidoo

darky_zidoo Active Member

Not sure, but I remember that you can use mkvtoolnix to put m2ts in a mkv container.
    Just tried it..It goes very fast... Not sure if it keeps Dolby intact..I do no have a file such to try.

Makemkv can do the same

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

M2TS Dual Track Dual Layer files play in Dolby Vision just fine on the Z9X so if you're having a problem with DV activating I'd suggest it's an issue with the file.

upload_2022-4-27_13-26-19.png

However, M2TS are not really designed for standalone playback so unexpected results can occur.

MKVToolnix cannot be used to mux Dolby Vision M2TS to MKV since it does not create the necessary Single Track Dual Layer file (it simply muxes the two video tracks side by side) - you'll need MakeMKV to do that but that will not take in an M2TS file directly.

If you want to convert a Dolby Vision M2TS file to a Dolby Vision MKV I'd suggest muxing the M2TS to ISO or BDMV with TS Muxer first and then opening the ISO with MakeMKV to convert to DV MKV.

Better still, just use MakeMKV to rip to MKV in the first place.

xskip likes this.
  4. Knuknu

Knuknu New Member

Thank you! Currently I don't own a Zidoo player and I use a Sony x700 BD player to play M2TS Dual Track Dual Layer files. So far I thought that only Sony and Oppo BD players are able to play these files in DV, however I need need use Tsmuxer to re-create the m2ts file, before the Sony x700 is able to play in DV. So you are saying that the Zidoo Z9X has the same capability as the x700 player to play M2TS Dual Track Dual Layer files?

I saw this youtube video in which the reviewer said that the Zidoo player is not able to play UHD BD Backups in DV:

Can you please clarify this?

5. Markswift2003

The Zidoo will play all Dolby Vision profiles in MKV, MP4, ISO, BDMV, M2TS so that review is simply wrong (I haven't watched it - as soon as he said "What's up guys" that was my cue to switch off...).

The caveat along with all Realtek 1619 players is that because it doesn't have a second HEVC decoder, whilst all RPU metadata is used in all instances, for FEL dual layer content, the video essence of the FEL is not used.

6. Knuknu

Knuknu New Member

Ok I see! So the Youtube video mislead me. Another point mentioned by this review is a low contrast output by Z9X, is that also not true?

Sorry I dont fully understand this. Do you mean that the Z9X does have a second HEVC decoder and therefore dual layer FEL is no issue?

7. Markswift2003

Yes, that's complete nonsense as well. Contrast is perfect.

No, these players do not have a second HEVC decoder so the video information of the FEL is not used.

8. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

No, these players do not have a second HEVC decoder so the video information of the FEL is not used.

It's not really DV then ? :)

9. Markswift2003

I'm not rising to that one Olivier ;)

10. OlivierQC

You should expect to have this kind of questioning again Mark

11. Knuknu

Knuknu New Member

Sorry for being a noob on this topic, I dont have much experience with this. What does that mean? The Z9X is not able to play M2TS/BDMV with FEL DV? (So for this I would need to use my Sony x700?)
    Thank you!

12. Markswift2003

The Z9X is able to play M2TS/BDMV FEL DV but it doesn't use the video information in the FEL.

Dolby Vision FEL is made up of two video streams - The base layer which is HDR10 (or HDR10+) 10-bit 4K video and the enhancement layer which is 1080p 10-bit video.

When the two are combined in Dolby Vision Composer the result is a compressed representation of the original 12-bit Dolby Master video.

So the enhancement layer is in essence the mathematical difference between the 10-bit HDR10(+) grade and the original 12-bit grade, however the 10-bit grade still contains all the video information, it's just that it's 10-bits.

Your Sony uses the enhancement layer video stream and combines it with the base layer to produce a 12-bit Dolby Vision signal but the Z9S, because it only has one HEVC decoder cannot do this, so it only uses the base layer. Both units use the metadata in the RPU.

I have a Sony X700 and I can see no difference in the Dolby Vision signal from Z9X and the Sony regardless of whether it's FEL or MEL.

serg fedorov likes this.
  13. Markswift2003

To quote Dolby:

The base layer essence is a 10-bit video bitstream of the full picture element with HDR10 standards that enables compatibility with HDR10 devices.

The enhancement layer essence is a 10-bit video bitstream that carries the residual between the mezzanine source and the base layer and the dynamic metadata for Dolby Vision.

An enhancement layer that carries a residual signal equal to zero, that is, the decoder does not need to process the residual signal, is called minimum enhancement layer (MEL).

If the enhancement layer carries a residual signal not equal to zero, it is called full enhancement layer (FEL).

serg fedorov and xskip like this.
  14. Knuknu

Knuknu New Member

Thank you for explaining!
    So today my Z9X arrived and I had a chance to quickly test M2TS files. While DV MKV worked with out of the box settings, M2TS DV content has strong artifacts everywhere in the picture. After I changed the video settings in the Z9X to display DV content with the "Dolby Vision VS10 engine", DV M2TS files had no artifacts anymore. Is that the right setting?

One other thing: The info menu shows me that the Z9X outputs 3840x2160@60fps even though the video has 23.976fps. Why doesn't it set the correct output frequency?

Thank you again!

15. OlivierQC

16. Markswift2003

As I said above, M2TS, although compatible, should not be played standalone and unexpected results can occur.

Make sure auto frame rate is enabled - it's disabled by default.

As Olivier says, follow the recommended settings and you should be good.

17. JYinLaw

JYinLaw New Member

Hi does z9x or z9x pro also support dual track dolby vision mkv play back in DV? or does it only support m2ts

18. Markswift2003

All Zidoo players that support Dolby Vision support Single Track Dual Layer (STDL) MKV files, but not Dual Track Dual Layer (DTDL). If a DTDL MKV is played then the file plays in HDR10(+).

DTDL is supported in MP4 and M2TS containers because they don't support STDL.

19. JYinLaw

JYinLaw New Member

Thanks for the reply, that is very helpful

20. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Mark, do you think we'll see a FEL supporting zidoo player next year?