Dolby Vision .mkv files , proplem , freeze

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Mikewolf, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Mikewolf

Mikewolf New Member

it starts with stop, so press stop then continue again and then after 8-10 minutes the error comes

2. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

Hi,

I use a Neo Alpha, but apart from the absence of the HDCP setting, the video part is supposed to be strictly identical
    to that of the UHD-3000, Z1000Pro, etc.
    I play my movies from a NAS, so I only checked this configuration, and not from USB source.

I tested on some of my mkv Dolby Vision, and I have no problem with freezing or sound/image blocking,
    neither at the start of playback, nor when resuming playback after stopping during the movie.

I don't know exactly what may be causing your concern, but I leave some food for thought :

- Check that HDCP is desactivated (it is not really useful in our private use, and often creates more signal transmission bugs than it helps).

- If reading via your local network, check its quality and stability :
    settings of the network/NAS parameters, without forgetting those of the switch if it is a manageable version
    (passive switches, but with quality power supply and clock, without software overlay, are preferable),
    cable quality (preferably cat7-8).

- Check when you make your mkv, to create only remux (without re-encoding or compression, with streams identical to those of the native m2ts of the discs).

- Always check that the software you use are up to date.

- Check each time mkv is created, that the log/task-report returns perfect execution, without the slightest synchronization error
    (in which case it is necessary to identify the streams concerned, demux them, check their integrity, and redo a clean synchronization
    with MKVToolnix, before using MakeMKV).

3. Amerh

Amerh New Member

Hello, and hope I'm not too late to this post.

I can't find RAM specification for the Neo line on the Zidoo website. Can someone confirm this?

Z1000 Pro and X9S (2Gb RAM) are facing this or similar issues (based on other posts), but as some of you mentioned, Neo Alpha (?? RAM) and UHD 3000 (4GB RAM) seem to not have encountered this. Can someone confirm this? Are we maybe up to something here, indicating it might be a RAM issue?

Some users on other posts have suspected caching issues, which can be apparent in 2Gb RAM, but those with 4Gb though they can still have the same caching system, they have a larger header that allows the movies to run to their end before any issues appear.

Appreciate anyone's comment on this.

4. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Long before I purchased my UHD3000 and not knowing a great deal as to what the extra RAM was doing, I immediately put this model at the top of my decision making spreadsheet. I have had no problems with freezing other than on 2 occasions when I was navigating backwards and forwards near the end of a 20GB file. At my age and at the end of a career as a sound engineer mixing mostly classical music and working in TV documentaries etc I've reached the stage where I will need hearing aids very soon. So all the nice audio stuff in the 3000 is really wasted on me, not that I've ever played my music via headphones or earpieces for pleasure. Long train or plane trips, yes. I have a separate music room and instruments for that and really good speaker systems. So yes! I believe, without any evidence that the extra 4GB does make a difference. An old friend from one of my workplaces also has a 3000 and not a member nor reads forums hasn't had any real problems other than naming. So it would be good if a detailed flow chart of the internal operations of the 3000 were available but I would imagine that would be stitched up with confidentiality clause under pain of death or worse!!!

My hobby horse so I've bolded it.
    In regards to MKV files it has been my experience if you remove every unwanted track and image from within the MKV by using mkvtoolnix and remuxing, you maybe? get rid of a few potential problems. On an earlier media player I had, you really needed to do this is you stood any chance of navigating including jumping chapters! So it's almost a Pavlovian response with me to automatically clean up my files, a bit like washing instructions on a new shirt "wash before use". Good luck with this one...

5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Interesting.

I've been playing my Hi-Res music now for years and since @Nice Monkey got me into listening using an external DAC connected to my Z1000 Pro via USB, I haven't looked back. I too can be regarded as slightly hard of hearing but this hasn't stopped me from enjoying listening at quite a high quality. My Gustard X-16, paired with a Monoprice Monolith Headphone Amp using a pair of Audio Technica ATH-MX50 phones, has been a really relaxing way to listen to my music - recently upgraded to a Zidoo DAC-Z8 with the same 'phones. Given the UHD 3000 has a DAC built in - get a USB cable and join it to your Amp (same as mine) and have a listen. Then get a pair of 'phones and listen again. I'd be interested in what you think.

Do not hesitate to PM me to swap information etc.

6. Jordan Walker

Jordan Walker Member

I’d just like to bring up this is still an issue on 6.4.62 but it affects only specific Dolby Vision MKV files. Not SDR and not HDR10. Keep in mind, all of my testings are MKV files I have ripped myself, from clean discs I own personally using MakeMKV. There were no errors during ripping. My files are just the main feature, default audio track, and default subtitles. I do not compress, transcode, or include any other special features or tracks. I have not tried this with full disc rips, only stripped down MKV. I am using a UHD3000. Furthermore, so far I have pinpointed it to just titles from Arrow Video oddly enough. I do not rip Dolby Vision titles with FEL layers, so all of my MEL files are either from Sony, WB, or Arrow. When testing Dolby Vision files from Sony or WB, I do not encounter this problem.

The best way to replicate is to begin playing one of these titles (Donnie Darko, True Romance, Wolf of Wall Street, Witness), doesn’t really matter how long you watch it for but at some point stop the movie (not pause) so it goes back to the Home Theater page. Then resume the movie like you are going to continue watching the rest of the film. Within 5-10 minutes, it freezes and stops playback. If you start the movie from the beginning and do not stop/continue playback at any point, it plays all the way through with no problems. You can also pause and skip chapters and it will play fine. It is only when you stop and try to resume later, only Dolby Vision, and so far only titles from Arrow Video in my findings.

I am thinking it must be an issue with how Arrow is mastering and authoring their discs. Does anyone else have any of these titles that can test and confirm my same findings?

7. Jordan Walker

Jordan Walker Member

Well, adding The Shining and Chernobyl miniseries to this list. Which is interesting because those are Warner titles, and all other Warner Dolby Vision titles I’ve tried have played fine. 2001, The Batman, The Matrix, etc. Keep in mind, all discs were ripped the same way, no variances there. So now I’m not sure if it’s a mastering/authoring issue with the discs or rather how Zidoo is reading these files. This is a very odd issue, but one that is easy to reproduce and needs looked into. Of course I might as well be talking to a brick wall when it comes to Zidoo actually listening and fixing it in a firmware update :(

8. Netmask

As this is a members forum, I doubt any official Zidoo person monitors each and every post, in my experience. Maybe someone else on the forum has had the same issue? Why not post a full, text mode MediaInfo report on one of your files. That will at least provide a bit of info.

9. Jordan Walker

Jordan Walker Member

The point I was making was not that I thought Zidoo employees were monitoring the forum, but rather they have mostly abandoned these previous models it would seem and are not rolling out any new firmware at the moment. I will try and contact them about this issue but I don’t expect them to rush out a bug fix anytime soon, if ever.

10. Netmask

It's always useful posting a MediaInfo report on any file that appears to be giving a problem. There might just be a factor that causes a "ha ha" reaction from someone who has experienced similar. Anyway good luck

11. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

I still have this issue with a lot of my movies in DV (and not only the ones coming from Shout Factory) and I am still trying to figure out. I think that I have tried all what I could think of to find from where it comes from. I use the trick with the fast rewind/forward ( as soon as the image freezes, I use a fast rewind of 15 sec with the down button of my remote, and the movie is ok after that) but that bothers me a lot. All my movies are remuxed by myself with MakeMKV and no issue for movies in HDR10.

Maybe some of us should try to produce a debug log :

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/how-to-create-a-debug-log.93595/

Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    Netmask likes this.