Dolby Vision .mkv files , proplem , freeze

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Mikewolf, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Mikewolf

Mikewolf New Member

Hello
    a question in the round, have you noticed with the last firmware, no matter whether now with the zidoo z9, z10 pro, z1000, z3000, that Dolby Vision .mkv data or films are causing problems? With me, the picture just stops after a few minutes, Sound goes on for 3 seconds and then there is an error message that this film cannot be played, it is particularly intense if you fast forward the film then stop it and then continue watching at the prewound point, after a few minutes you can wait for it happened . the funny thing is it only happens if you watch the film over the network (NAS) or over the internal hard drive of zidoo, it doesn't happen with an external hard drive. who can confirm that it is the same for you?

FW is updated to the current 6.4.42

What strikes me is if you stop the film and then continue watching where it was stopped, it usually happens after about 8-10 minutes of playing time.
    Exchanged the HDMI cable > didn't help either.

so .. my buddy was there this afternoon, who has the zidoo uhd3000.
    the same for him as for me. picture freezes, sound continues for 3 seconds, message > video cannot be played back.

Confirmed so it's a zidoo problem. apparently it seems to affect here at Dolby vision mkv.
    have also tested it via network, via smb release. there was the problem too.
    now comes the joke. The problem does not appear with an external hard drive.

With my buddy and I, the problem can be brought about very well by going to the middle of the film, stopping the film and then continuing at that point via resume play. after few minutes it happens =)

If you play the film from the beginning and let it run through, it doesn't seem to show up - so far.

That happened with my buddy today... but I knew that he had the Zidoo UHD3000 and so we started testing.
    I found it amazing that he had exactly the same problem. especially since he has Seagate HDD and I have Wester Digital. So you can also rule out an HDD problem.

Pausing the film, rewinding, etc., everything works.. I haven't been able to cause a crash yet.
    As I said, you stop the film in the middle and then start it again at that point, and the problem comes back.

my buddy brought an external USB HDD with him and the problem didn't occur there. Totally odd.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  2. Mikewolf

Mikewolf New Member

Addendum: Anticipation because of the external HDD is over.. I have now connected the external HDD to the USB 3.0 on the side > the error again.
    If you connect to the front USB 2.0 it works without problems..until now ...

USB 2.0 > OK
    USB 3.0 > crash.
    I can unfortunately reproduce exactly

3. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

This issue rings a bell from the distant past, which was sorted. I've done a few searches but cannot find anything. I have no issues though. Maybe the file itself?

4. Mikewolf

Mikewolf New Member

it is not due to one file, it affects all of them, so many Dolby Vision mkv films.

what firmware do you have on it and what player?, how do you stream your mkv file

5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I'm on v6. 4(7).42 too (the latest) - I run the Z1000 Pro, see my signature. Files are run from internal HDD's or my old NAS's (via NFS), but I don't have this problem.

6. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

I have this kind of issue with my mkvs in DV when I resume a movie that I previously started to watch. As soon as the image freezes, I have to fast rewind 15 seconds (function selected for the up and down keys) and the movie will then play flawlessly to the end. I think that I also have this issue if I let the movie on pause for few minutes. If I start a movie in DV from the beginning, no problem, as long as I don’t stop it to watch the end later.

Nothing new for me, I already had this issue with previous firmwares. I don’t have a NAS, all my sources are internal or plugged with the USB 3.0 ports. I have already talked about this issue but nobody seemed to have this and nothing has changed since then.

I make my own remux with makemkv from my blu-ray UHD so I am sure of my sources. And with movies in HDR10, absolutely no issue. I didn’t try the trick about the USB port 2.o, I will experiment to see if that changes anything.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  7. Mikewolf

Mikewolf New Member

is interesting, it's a pity that zidoo doesn't notice that..

8. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

This is a member's forum, and it's unlikely that these sorts of thing will be fed up to Zidoo unless the majority of people are affected. In those instances, Zidoo are pretty good at sorting things

9. Mikewolf

Mikewolf New Member

already clear that it is not an official forum, but to my knowledge. and stuff like that. I read that has already been reported and since. longer time

10. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

This issue is weird. I have no idea from where it could come from.

11. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Definitely not a known issue.

12. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

Could it be related to the TV syncing or something like that?

13. Markswift2003

From the description it sounds like either a read problem or a file problem. The fact that they play under certain circumstances kind of indicate a read problem.

14. Mikewolf

Mikewolf New Member

what's up with you? isn't that ? good for you all ?don't you have the problem?

15. Markswift2003

No, never.

16. Mikewolf

Mikewolf New Member

and you're sure that you've even tried it? it's funny everyone who has tested it comes up with this error.

17. Markswift2003

Jeez

AngryVirginian likes this.
  18. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Curious... when you say that you "resume a movie the you previously started to watch"... do you mean from a Pause, or from a Stop and then start from a bookmark?

IMO, If you have the bookmark feature enabled and if you have to pause the movie for more than a minute.... just stop it instead. My theory is that by pausing it for a while, you are no longer pulling data from your HDD.. then when you start up... In my instances anyway .... the movie starts just fine, but then quickly hits the end of the "pause" data buffer and will freeze for several seconds while the buffer then catches up and then the movie continues just fine to the end. Thus, if I have to step away, for more than 30 seconds, I just hit stop and use the bookmark feature to start back up. I myself never have had any freezing issues for me this way (starting from bookmark) ....Thus I wonder is this pausing is somehow has a more detrimental effect on DV titles?

19. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

I was talking about resuming a movie from a previous stop to watch the end, using the bookmark function. I was also talking about resuming after a long pause but I am not sure about this one.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  20. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

So far I haven't had this experience with DV MKV files and nearly every Friday night several friends come over and we watch a TV series ep and a movie, half way through we typically pause the movie and make coffee and chat so it's on pause for well over 20 minutes. I know everyone says RAM is not an issue but with 4GB in the 3000 and no issues of this post ever as far as I've experienced I still wonder?