DMP-A6 Tidal Atmos via HDMI

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Bkido, May 23, 2023.

1. Burki

Burki Member

Also +1...

2. kc001

kc001 Active Member

High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) is not a just a "plug"/"socket" standard - See hdmi.org and Wikipedia.
    upload_2023-11-9_14-25-39.png
    HDMI Version (Year released)

HDMI 1.0 (2002)
    HDMI 1.1 (2004)
    HDMI 1.2 and 1.2a (2005)
    HDMI 1.3 (2006)
    HDMI 1.4, 1.4a and 1.4b (2009, 2010, 2011)
    HDMI 2.0, 2.0a and 2.0b (2013, 2015, 2016)
    HDMI 2.1 (2017)

The HDMI connector type-A has also been used by I²S (eye squared ess) and I2S (eye two ess), but that is totally different and not standardized (hence different pin-outs between implementations).

Anyway,
    Since the A6's hdmi implementation is Audio-Out only, assuming that the apps support Dolby-Atmos streaming, I think that all that's needed for Dolby-Atmos out => AVR would be an Audio Pass-through option in the A6,
    which can be done in software (like Roku, Nvidia TV etc).
    That way the Dolby Atmos decoding is being done by the AVR.
    No license, rewiring or voodoo required :)

Edit: Only possible issue is the 2x chips doing the DSD decoding (couldn't find them or their manufacturer anywhere).

upload_2023-11-9_17-7-56.png

(DoH could stand for Digital-Audio or DSD over HDMI)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
  3. supermood

supermood Active Member

what is the reason to vote against a functionality?

Bonzo likes this.
  4. Desmodromic

Desmodromic Member

And another +1

5. stevenskl

stevenskl New Member

I don´t understand that, either. Imagine having Tidal and/or Amazon music, also having an expensive device like A6 or even A8, and then you cannot listen to everything that those streaming services offer. I don´t even demand that Atmos is decoded, but at least it should be passed through to the AVR. That´s really ridiculous. Even a cheap Fire TV stick can do it.

Bonzo likes this.
  6. kc001

kc001 Active Member

You can still hear it just fine => down-mixed to 2-channel stereo ;)

Nutul likes this.
  7. david flack

david flack New Member

being kind of well connected in the music industri since a familymember works high up in management in some big companys that will go without mention,
    i can for sure say atmos is here to stay and is geting moore and moore ground.
    a bit suprised the a6 cant handle it. and that eversolo did not see a need to implement it.

and this might be dumb of me, but why cant the hdmi port act as a earc connection? is that a hardware thing or a softwere thing? is the a8 apperently (annoyingly) has it while my master edition needs the optical for connecting my tv.

Miki222 likes this.
  8. supermood

supermood Active Member

is that supposed to be funny? can someone pls explain now why you are voting against it? not that it makes any difference at all but it just looks stupid somehow?

I don't any any online connect besides tidal but I would not vote against them.

and if the a8 is really able to pass through it I am a bit pissed

Bonzo likes this.
  9. Pitscher

Pitscher New Member

So far I only play surround music from the internal hard drive. However, I'm thinking about getting Tidal. I only have a 5.1 setup.
    The Atmos mixes are played from the hard drive in downmix in surround. Is it the same with streaming?

10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The A8 doing passthrough???? It has no HDMI Output at all!

11. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Isn't this thread about the A6...?
    P.S.
    In theory tt should do the downmix as well... as Atmos is (simplifying) about geometry of the "objects" being assigned a spatial position, so that for example if you have one object located front-top-right, it will resolve in fromt-right, the top information being discarded, as not available.
    Atmos is a wonderful thing, as it is "backwards compatible", so to speak... ;-)

12. kc001

kc001 Active Member

13. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

I hate this list because while it may be accurate in terms of when the invention was officially released, it in no way shows an accurate time line as to when it was actually being used.

My old Denon receiver from 2005 was state of the art and it doesn't have any HDMI. Not to mention, back then, Firewire was a competitive option, so there wasn't yet a defacto standard for the world, yet. So in reality, those dates on that list are bunk.

14. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Let me see here. Its super important and worthwhile that the A6 plays (comparably niche) DSD files in multi channel, yet, it's not important that it doesn't simply pass (more common) multi channel Atmos.

Seriously? Why are you people arguing against Atmos passthrough? It makes zero sense. It makes you sound like Eversolo A6 fan bouys instead of logical audio fans.

The fact is, Atmos is here, and will only become more. Amazon Music is loaded with Atmos capable sources. Why would you or anyone else not want me to be able to hear them in all their multi channel glory? Makes zero sense.

Crix and stevenskl like this.
  15. stevenskl

stevenskl New Member

Can the A6 actually stream FLAC 7.1?

16. Burki

Burki Member

It will resample it to 5.1

17. Nice Monkey

For me the question is if any Studio albums are released in Atmos these days? And on which medium that is done then?

A company (like Amazon) or individual person making Atmos available by re-encoding titles via a program or DSP is less relevant for me as SQ results will vary a lot despite that some may sound nice.

Seen this in the past a lot with DTS-CD releases which were in fact just re-coded 2CH input by a program. Most AMP´s can do various MCH flavor upleveling too using their DSP but did not see that yet for Atmos.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  18. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

The only atmos albums I have found are on Blu-ray or downloadable .mkv files

19. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

My Platin Surround Hub can upmix to ‘Dolby Surround’ and ‘DTS Neural X’ which sends sound to my height channels.

20. Nice Monkey

My Onkyo does the same and yes also own some sporadic BD Audio albums with Atmos music on them. MKV files are always homebrews/rips. Only for movies Atmos (or DTS-X) has become almost the new default. Any (cheap) Zidoo/Dune media player wil play those all nicely.

I pressume that Amazon found a niche market sales item by doing upleveling themselves.
    Not strange support is not standard but always a valid request to get it added. ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024