DMP-A6 DAC sounds thin

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by dmp6, Nov 23, 2023.

Tags:
  1. dmp6

dmp6 Member

I’ve connected the RCA outs of the DMP-A6 to my Naim Atom driving a pair of KEF R900 speakers, using Oehlbach cables.

For the same track (PCM 44.1 kHz 16 bit, nothing fancy), the Naim gives a much fuller sound when I stream directly to it, using Roon in both cases.

Apart from the price point (although the Naim Atom has an integrated power amp so price-wise it’s not in a completely different league), what might I be missing?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
  2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It depends, do you stream from Roon to the Naim, while use the internal player of the A6? (could be Roon doing DSP?)
    Do you use just the power-amp of the Naim? (could be its pre-amp doing DSP? / having some "coloring" filter?)
    The DAC of the A6 is very transparent, so if you're not used to such a thing you may indeed find it "flat" (mainly because it is flat)

eaziduuzit likes this.
  3. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

I don't find it "flat," I find it "thinner" than it could be.

dmp6 likes this.
  4. Roy N

Roy N New Member

@dmp6
    It could be an impedance mismatch between the two devices. Do you find that you have to turn the volume down when you use the DAC in the DMP-A6?

I have this problem with both my Rega Elex-r and Exposure 2010 which have an input sensitivity of 1.7mV and 1.4mV, but not with my Yamaha A-S500 which has a 3mV input sensitivity.
    I solved this problem with an RCA line-in attenuator that has 3 levels of attenuation; -10 db, -15db and -20 db. On my Rega, I have it set to -15db and on my Exposure I have it set to -20db.
    [​IMG]
    Without it it sounds forced, thin, lean and compressed. With it, the music opens up and can breathe and sounds so pleasant without losing dynamics.
    These cost around $30 and are of good quality, but you can get better ones from Andrew Rothwell or Russ Andrews.

dmp6 likes this.
  5. dmp6

dmp6 Member

The signal paths to the streamers are as follows.
    1) Roon -> DMP-A6 (Roon endpoint) -> RCA out -> Marantz SR 7012, RCA in -> Speakers (sounds thin, not flat)
    2) Roon -> DMP-A6 (Roon endpoint) -> RCA out -> Naim Atom power amp, RCA in -> Speakers (sounds thin, similar as 1)
    3) Roon -> Naim Atom (Roon endpoint) -> Naim Atom internal power amp -> Speakers (sounds full)

Since I'm in the 30 days return window, I just want to make sure if the comparatively thinner sound is due to the A6 DAC so that I can return it and go for the Master Edition maybe?

6. dmp6

dmp6 Member

Thanks for the tip. I don't see volume differences though. I just keep the AVR volume at 50% and use volume passthrough for the A6

7. dmp6

dmp6 Member

Exactly. Very difficult to describe the audio differences in language, but "thinner" is how I can most accurately describe what I'm hearing, when I'm comparing the A6 to the Naim Atom.

8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I don't think the ME will get you richer or fuller sound. But IMO the difference is the Naim Roon as endpoint. Can you try this:

4) Roon -> Naim Atom (Roon endpoint) -> Marantz SR 7012, RCA in -> Speakers (sounds ???)

or is it physically impossible?

9. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

dmp6 likes this.
  10. dmp6

dmp6 Member

Unfortunately not because the Naim doesn’t have preamp outs; the Roon endpoint (and all inputs) go to the power amp.

11. dmp6

dmp6 Member

12. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

DO NOT connect it to a regular RCA IN in the Marantz, as you will be using the DAC of the Marantz. Connect it to the MULTICH IN in the Marantz. I have a SR7013 and is a world difference this way

The MULTICH IN in the marantz is 100% analog, the rest of RCA IN are not, even if you set it in Pure Direct

Nevertheless I get the best sound connecting the A6 directly to the power amp. Via Marantz I get a smoother sound, that I use sometimes, but less punchy and detailed, in all frequencies

I do not find the A6 thin sounding at all

Last edited: Nov 25, 2023
    dmp6 likes this.
  13. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

The “7.1CH IN” I mean

Attached Files:

14. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

So, the Marantz is digitizing everything...?
    It's weird in its specifications this is not mentioned explicitly, together with the ADC/DAC chip used. It's a nice pieces of equipment, though.

15. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

yes, unless you use the 7.1CH inputs. I had long discussions with Marantz about this (they have removed the 7.1CH in the latest series)

Nutul likes this.
  16. dmp6

dmp6 Member

Thanks for the great tip. I’ll try with the L and R inputs of the Multi 7.1 channel. For now, I’m getting a far better sound with the Naim Atom analog input.

A related question, but since you’re an SR7013 owner, I hope you won’t mind:

If you happen to use the HDMI out of the A6 connected to the Marantz and use the A6 to stream 5.1 SACDs, can you please check in the Marantz app > AVR info, if input sampling rate is showing as 88.1 kHz? I hope no internal DSD to PCM conversion is happening there in the Marantz!!

17. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

It depends on the file. Most of the times the Marantz says DSD 2.8Mhz. In an album from Dire Straits, which is dff, it says PCM 176.4khz, but this is the only case

18. dmp6

dmp6 Member

I’ve started a new thread with this question.