Eversolo DMP A6 versus Rose 250

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Werther44210, Jul 27, 2023.

1. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

Since I have the Rose RS 250 and the DMP A6 at home on the same installation (Denon PMA 110 and Focal Kanta 1 speakers), it seems interesting to me to review the differences in terms of sound quality:
    - they are two different sound environments, Eversolo shines with its great neutrality and dynamism in the way of playing, there is so little perception of anything added or taken away from the music itself, a level of recovery of very high details, as well as in terms of tonal precision, but which avoids the slightly harsh presentation, Rose, it's a softer and calm sound, it's rich and warm so a device that is both quite neutral with this touch opulence in tonal terms and capable of creating a minimum of timing or dynamics to play any style with any source quality, good or bad, in short there is much less transparency than with Eversolo with a liveliness and a more restrained dynamism, it's less engaging than Eversolo on rhythmic music, fairly fast basses also less present.
    I was able to make these comparisons to Roon, easy to switch to one or the other, and found the music on the Eversolo very exciting with a very direct and transparent sound to listen to on a rather neutral system like mine, I think the biggest differences between the two streamers are in how they render low and high frequencies, giving a very different musical landscape. The Eversolo convinced me of its more punchy clear sound without filter and the micro-details more present than on the Rose, analytically it seems superior to me, it is less tonally rich or saturated, more exact, does not add or take nothing away.

2. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Thank you for this comparison. This is great.

By the way, everytime I listen to the A6 the same word, "punchy", comes to the forefront in my mind. I haven't decided if that's good or bad for me yet. I still like the rich full musical sound from my old Denon player better. Which makes me think I might like the Rose better. Maybe a test for next year. Already have enough on my plate this year.

RoDa likes this.
  3. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

Hi @Bonzo,
    The strong points of the DMP if we isolate this question of punch (liveliness or rhythm and dynamics), are if we look at Rose a greater airiness, the outline of the voices and instruments is very well defined, there is a lot of space. Its sound is very clean, it's sufficiently analytical and neutral, not too much so that the music can be reproduced faithfully. I can't explain why there is such a volume difference between the DMP and the Rose, the latter has a lower sound level at equivalent volume (5 to 10%), some say DAC implementation. Compared to Denon which is warm, there is a difference at this level, the DMP is less so, it depends on the people in relation to their sensitivity to this feeling. Rose seems pretty close to me as a Marantz signature sound if we had to make a parallel.
    I put in attached document a test of the DMP which has a rather interesting sound analysis of the DMP, it is subjective, but the person describes well what is the sound signature of Eversolo, advantages and disadvantages. Personally, being quite cerebral in music, I like the detailed side of the DMP, to mitigate this lack of warmth and the punchy side, I put Cardas interconnects, it's rather soft and warm, there's some for everyone prices in their range....

Attached Files:

RoDa likes this.
  4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The Eversolo (and also Zidoo) DAC's have above all a very neutral sound. This is also the opinion of most other reviews I have read.

Some other products like the Rose may have an own sound which obviously may have a preference. Nothing more personal than taste.

The discussion about volume levels I don't understand. Yes the level above all via XLR is high (it can power and end-stage directly) but in settings the level can be given a default (at power on) and an upper limit where needed. So what is wrong about that?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    RoDa likes this.
  5. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

6. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

This is one of the reasons why I bought the DMP in addition to the Rose to have a neutral and more detailed sound than that of the Rose. A more transparent sound where we have a very perceptible clipping of instruments and voices and clearer highs than on Rose. Concerning the question of the sound power, it can be explained that Rose wanted to slow down the dynamics of the "glare" side of ESS, I appreciate that it is better on the DMP. As you say, it's very subjective, personally, I find the two streamers very complementary in terms of my tastes.

7. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

@Nicemonkey
    Thank you for the volume output level (setting), wrong setting on the Rose which has a variable level, I set it to a level comparable to the DMP, it was set by default to a lower level, it is less dynamic and softer on the Rose, but comparable.

8. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

I think the whole hyper detail sound is a trend that's in style right now. Benchmark DACs and amps led the charge several years ago. Its still in vogue.

The A6 is crystal clear and clean, with no sense of "extra." It presents a lot of instrument separation, which in turn presents its own imaging.

But it lacks organic musicality. Real live music doesn't have hard clean edges that jump off a page.

I think the A6 is well suited for pop music and the like. If a person wants their music to jump and be punchy, without being harsh and overly forward, the A6 is for them.

I prefer music to sound real, musical, and organic. Much like Plasma/OLED TV tech to LCD. LCD is crystal clear and images POP, but they don't look real. Plasma/OLED are organic, and real looking.

My gut tells me I'd like the Rose better than the Eversolo, but I'm not spending that much money right now on a device I'm not even sure I'll use very much in my system.

9. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

Hi, what you put forward as arguments in favor of one or in favor of the other is based on individual preferences, what we are looking for in terms of a more straightforward and analytical restitution, with less nuance, subtlety or textures, there the DMP is interesting and very lively given its dynamics and its timing. If you just want to get lost in your music and be more in a more holographic musical landscape with details but not too much, the Rose is in there. Since I listen to a lot of opera, the Rose is very good in this genre and I use it on this type of music. Attached is a "HiFi PIG" tester's thoughts on the sound quality of the DMP, how it sounds, seems to me very well described. Completely agree with you the Rose for a device comparable to the DMP, not cheap ....

Attached Files:

10. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

I don't think what you and I are discussing is strictly opinion. We are both talking about HOW they sound. Yes, perceptual, and then translated to words the best we can. But I think we are both saying about the same thing when it comes to the A6, and trying to be objective about it.

From there its up to the user to decide which sound they like best. Its their choice. Ferrari or Lamborghini.

I would agree with you that something like the Rose, at least how you described the sound, would be preferable for me on music like Opera. I think the same would go for classical and others too, like Jazz and Blues. But that's another LONG discussion.

11. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

I would agree about your review, and add one comment I didn't catch you make. The A6 sound provides (or produces depending on preference) a lot of instrument separation.

Nutul likes this.
  12. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

The separation of the voices or contours of the instruments more accentuated on the DMP is due to the fact that there is a lot of space, some say air or ventilation, this is what the attached test highlights, very detailed and spacious as sound and still pleasant to listen to with a fairly analytical and upright side. It would perhaps have been interesting for Eversolo to include in its streamer specific filters developed by them (there is that in the Auralics), this would have made it possible to have a soft presentation for example with less dynamics on one of them.

13. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I may say... who in hell may want to buy an A6, with such a beautiful presentation and detail, and also want LESS DYNAMICS - aka compressed audio... I fail to understand such a wish.

Miki222 and Kopczas like this.
  14. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

Hi, I quite agree with you, moreover, on the Auralic most people use the so-called "normal" mode, however some people may be bothered by this dynamic. Personally, over the course of listening, I appreciate this streamer, where it is very good at airing and trimming instruments and voices (it outclasses the Rose at this level) with all the other qualities that you mentioned. I needed time to adapt I think coming from Rose which has a different sound, I would say almost the opposite of this Eversolo.

15. Ray77

Ray77 Member

I agree about neutral sound across the frequency range. Compared to my Node 2i, the A6 is more dynamic with greater clarity and more bass extension. Perhaps my tube power amp is masking HF shrillness? I attribute "punchiness" to the A6's very low SNR, giving it a huge dynamic range. Greater clarity due to its very low THD. Based on this thread, I'm in no hurry to buy a HiFi Rose or other 3x more costly streamer/DAC.

16. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

I share, very addictive sound for the DMP A6, the voices are very resolute and with a great presence, very good timing and dynamics on many varied musical styles for instrumental music. I find it more lively as a Dac-player than the Rose with a fuller sound and more perception of the different musical layers and therefore of depth.

17. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

This is going to require several stretches of the imagination, but here it goes.

Comparing the A6 to my Denon 3930CI.

Imagine 2 fields of wild flowers growing in a meadow.

The A6 flowers vary a lot in height, and texture, and color. The colors pop. There is space between the flowers. You could easily walk through them because they are well spaced and have light bendable stems. You can see each and ever flower with great detail.

The Denon flowers are more even in height. The textures and colors are all there but there are just more flowers more closely growing together so there is a smooth blend of flowers, not individual flowers spread out. The flowers are harder to walk through because they grow more dense and full.

To me the A6 has a more "fun" punchy sound, where the Denon has a more "real" fuller sound.

If they were tie dye shirts, the A6 would look like a dye just made, with super poppy colors and definite dividing lines between colors on a clean very white shirt. The Denon would look like it's been washed a few times, where the colors are still nice and bright, but the edges have blended slightly, and the shirt has taken on a bit of color itself. Its smoother more mature looking.

I like them both. But they are different. I think I'd prefer the A6 on a Friday night while drinking beer and listening to fun music. I think I'd prefer the Denon on a Saturday night while smoking weed and listening to serious music.

Miki222, RoDa and Werther44210 like this.
  18. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

Congratulations, well described, you have an old generation Denon, keep it, I have a new, more recent representative, the PMA 110 anniversary amplifier released in 2020 on the occasion of the 110th anniversary of the brand, the signature the brand's sound has evolved a little in recent years, it remains quite warm but more neutral with an even tone apart from the less saturated treble, I see what you are describing, I also listen with the Denon DAC, I love them both like you, nice pictorial description.

Gil Fuhrer likes this.
  19. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

So I went looking a bit more seriously about the Rose 250. A few quick questions for those who have it.

- They do not list being capable of doing Amazon HD. Does anyone know about this? Is it in the works? Can the app (or other apps) be side loaded to work like the A6? Is there even a cast function on the 250?

Is there a Rose forum like this one? After doing a very quick search I don't see many reviews past like 2021 when it first came out. I have heard they had the same teething problems like the A6, but also heard they have been fixed. If there is a forum I can do more research myself.

At quick glance, it appears the rear trades XLR outputs for a set of analog inputs. I'd also like to know if the digital inputs can be set to pass through? And, if the outputs, unlike the A6, can be set to all run at the same time?

Thanks.

20. Werther44210

Werther44210 Member

@Bonzo,
    Being on a forum dedicated to the A6, I will still answer you, no side loading, no Amazon, no XLR outputs on the 250 or its 250A evolution (except on the overpriced 150 5 times more expensive than the Eversolo), an application that many people consider less simple and clear, the digital outputs do not work at the same time.
    In view of all this, steep price note, I would urge you to look for a DAC that suits you in view of your comments on that of the A6.
    - You can take a look at the Rose forum to see customer feedback: https://community.roseaudio.kr/
    - And a test which also talks about the DMP A6 on the new Rose 250A: https://www.avforums.com/reviews/hifi-rose-rs250a-network-audio-player-review.20540/
    In my humble opinion, don't spend your money, and explore the DAC solution, especially with Amazon and the desire to load additional applications...

Bonzo likes this.