DMP-A6 and 6ch HDMI out experience

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by GeNeRiKz, Feb 23, 2024.

1. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

44.1kHz is normal for DTS CDs, but who does the decoding then?

Some Logitech Gaming speakers seem to have some DTS:X relationship. Some might do basic core DTS decoding?

Exact model/cat # might help.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
  2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

This is utterly weird, as DTS streams must be decoded to play; even more, to be downmixed and played... maybe your USB-speakers are not "dumb" and can perform DTS decoding...?

3. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

These are the USB speakers -
    Logitech S-0155A V20 Computer Speakers.
    Purchased them about 10 or more years ago to use with a notebook laptop. Handbook / instructions long lost years ago. :(
    Apparently you can still buy them - https://www.amazon.com.au/Logitech-V20-Notebook-Speakers-Black/dp/B0009WKBGC
    No, they aren't my go-to speakers. Just found them in the storeroom a few weeks ago and wondered if they still worked. Plugged them into the lower USB port on the DMP-A6 and they worked. :)

Screenshot_20240306-074644.png

Screenshot_20240306-075058.png
    Screenshot_20240306-075138.png

Maybe this may cast some light on what's going on??
    With further playing around I get audio even when playing DSD files or SACD ISO files so I suspect the DMP-A6 is doing some sort of re-sampling / down-sampling to PCM when these speakers are connected even though the USB output setting is set to Native DSD.
    No matter what audio format I play the screen shows PCM 44.1kHz when these speakers are connected and the USB output is selected.

4. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

One thing I learned: the A6 can work in ADAPTIVE mode, so my answer in http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/please-include-tenor-chip-te7022l-in-the-usb-terminal.97921/ was incorrect. I posted an update.

I know these are old, outdated speakers but adaptive is a bad idea, tons of jitter :)

Then, clearly these speakers will not play DTS or DSD, so the decoding happens upstream.

For DSD, the A6 will gladly downmix to PCM 44.1kHz since the USB IDs shows a maximum of 48kHz.

For DTS... are you SURE your DTS CD rip did not decode the DTS on the fly?
    What software did you use?

=> Quick test #1: how big are the WAV files after ripping?
    => Quick test #2: do the spectrum analyzer on screen follow the music (DTS was pre-decoded) or seem to hover on all frequencies in a random fashion (non-decoded DTS)

5. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

Crucial P3 4TB received and installed today.

Detected right away, formatted NTFS (saw the posts with issues in exFAT), and it shows up few seconds later as 3,725.8GB available / total 3726.0 GB.
    Also shared via Samba as \\SAMBA_DMP\664B4E3C27A4CCBA\.

Easy, fast and working as expected.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2024
    Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  6. trump2024

trump2024 New Member

Why can't eversolo or a developer sideload Android Dolby Atmos MLP SDK. Even if the DMP-A6 can't output height metadata in Dolby Atmos we could down mix to the normal 7.1 multichannel output.

Dont you want to listen to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon 50th anniversary in TrueHD Atmos rip or would you rather listen to the 30th anniversary DSD multichannel rip from the old SACD?

7. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

Please do not cross-post. You already asked this in DMP-A6 Dolby Atmos and TrueHD support?.

And as posted in DMP-A6 Feature Request I believe the A6 can only handle constant output bit rates, not variable ones.

Nutul likes this.