Difficulties while choosing (trying to) between UHD3000 and Dune HD Max (or others)

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by AngeloMM, Apr 17, 2023.

1. AngeloMM

AngeloMM New Member

Hello everyone, long time lurker but now I need some specific help.
    I have read a lot of threads in order to understand which is the right product for me but I have more difficulties than I initially thought so I'm here hoping to get some hints from you.
    My requirements are the following:

- the streamer will be connected to a new 11ch pre-amp, still to buy, preferably using a HDMI audio-only output as I wish to keep audio and video on separate connections (and easily the pre-amp that I'll buy do not do any video processing nor passthrough);
    - play 2CH and MCH SACD (iso) as well as DVD-Audio (iso or 1:1 copy), so I can dismiss the player I have only for those kind of supports;
    - play MKV, BR/UHD iso and 1:1 copy so I can dismiss the other player I use only for those supports;
    - play stereo and MCH CD audio (DTS), iso and single files;
    - Dolby Vision, HDR and HDR+ compatible;
    - must work with Dolby Atmos, DTS/DTSHD MA, TrueHD and every other audio format;
    - actually not interested to connect it to a NAS or something similar (maybe in the future) so the internal disk is almost mandatory;
    - actually not interested and not willing to connect it to internet, no matter if wifi or cabled, so if there is an app for iPhone or iPad the connection must work through BT;
    - while not mandatory, a 2CH high quality output different than the MCH output would be more than welcome;
    - last but not the least, a good support about firmware updates.

Actually I do not consider Dune HD Ultra or Zidoo NEO X/S/Alpha because those are too expensive for my possibilities, so I should choose between Dune HD Max and Zidoo UHD3000 (the latter pretty expensive too but I should be able to afford it)... given all my requirements what you would suggest me to buy?
    There are any other streamers that you would suggest me as they should be more suitable for what I need?
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Best regards

Angelo

2. AngeloMM

AngeloMM New Member

I forgot to mention DSD files, I'd like to have the chance to play them.
    Thank you again.
    Best regards

Angelo

3. AngeloMM

AngeloMM New Member

Not sure why that post disappeared, anyway thank you for the reply.
    I'm not interested abut apps and streaming, the player will work stand-alone without any connection to any network, what I need is a media player with the best audio/video performance in its price range able to play the files I have... no problem abut the design, regarding the UI I haven't had the chance to see/use them so I'm completely unaware about easy of use, number of options and so on, not worried about the fact to learn how to use the UI no matter if it is complex or not.
    If the UHD3000 is the best choice for what I need then I'll try to buy it, but I need to be sure that it will really fulfill all my needs.

Sorry but I do not understand: on the product page UHD3000 is shown with two storage bays, so why the need to connect an external HD or a NAS? Or you meant builtin, unchangeable fixed storage?

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I deleted it because the information was inaccurate and misleading - the poster is a potential spammer and although hasn't really broken any rules, the two posts he has posted so far have been extremely generic, unhelpful and simply contained bad and incorrect information.

5. AngeloMM

AngeloMM New Member

Thank you Mark for the explanation, I was very confused on what he said about the internal storage but now I understand.

6. Markswift2003

Yeah - what he wrote was complete rubbish - the UHD3000 has two internal hard disc bays.

What I will say is that although the Zidoo is not 100% on BluRay menus, in every other respect it is way more accomplished than the Dunes (I have several Dune and several Zidoo boxes and spend a lot of time testing them). I use a Zidoo Z9X exclusively in my cinema.

Firmware support from Zidoo has been historically excellent and although has been lacking in recent months, this is for good reason that will become apparent in due course and I think we're back on track now.

I'm interested why you don't want to connect to the internet though - although the boxes will work perfectly fine without, it does give a much richer experience.

7. AngeloMM

AngeloMM New Member

Hi Mark,
    thank you again good to know that the firmware support is coming back at the previous high levels, that's very important.
    I'm not interested about the connection because for streaming I use only an Apple TV 4K on a different tv (not connected to internet too), and then because I do not trust android at all... but even using a player with a different o.s. I've no needs to have an active connection as I'm used to buy physical supports and rip them for the HT use, streaming is not a primary use.
    I understand that in this way I could loose covers and similar things, but right now I do not see them as a big value (right now, maybe later I could change my mind, why not?).

8. Markswift2003

You could still use posters etc by just adding local artwork and an NFO file - so a fully operational posterwall is easily possible without connecting the box to the internet.

9. AngeloMM

AngeloMM New Member

Good to know that, thank you!
    Do you honestly believe that the UHD3000 would fulfill all my requirements?
    With 'honestly' I mean if you think that all requirements would be reached without big problems.

10. Markswift2003

I've never tried DVD-Audio or SACD ISOs so can't comment on that. @Nice Monkey would be your man for that.

As I say, BD-Menus are the weak point of Zidoo boxes - everything else is exemplary.

11. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Nice requirements but no media player will do it all. :rolleyes:
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/gu...ct-dune-oppo-clone-zappiti-and-zidoo.2395791/
    That link sums it all up.

The most allround is Zidoo but it won't do DVD/BD Menus always well. Got all my ISO 1:1 discs now working with Dune as they really responded very well fixing all my cases which were numerous. No player will do DVD-Audio from ISO except a real OPPO (that is only after being patched or a clone). The Dune will play the hybrid DVD-Video compatible part though.
    SACD / DSD via HDMI won't work neither with mentioned models (but DSD => PCM will work in 2CH/MCH). Only Neo Alpha or Eversolo DMP-A6 will do DSD via HDMI.

I do regard FW support from Zidoo and Dune good. Zidoo has a forum and responds well to feature requests. Dune is far less progressive but far better at getting it stable and bug free. Dune also has longer support on old models (in fact last 3 generation models are getting synchronized updates these days).

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    Markswift2003 likes this.
  12. AngeloMM

AngeloMM New Member

BD menus not perfect could be a minor bug unless to find that are pretty unusable (unable to select chapter, language or anything else), but I do not think that this is the case.
    Thank you @Nice Monkey for your answer, I gave a look at the Eversolo as I started to think at a solution with a separate audio and video players, but unfortunately the DMP-A6 is too expensive so I have to stay with a single media player (even more unfortunately the Neo Alpha is way too expensive, I simply can't afford that player and I'll miss it)... assuming to keep my actual Oppo 83SE for DVD-A and SACD physical supports, what media player could fulfill my other requirements / wishes in the best way (BD menus are not in the list)?
    Thank you again.

Angelo

13. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

If DMP-A6 will ever play DVD-Audio (those MLP tracks) it could become the perfect platform for Music Player?
    For the time being I suggest to keep your OPPO for that as I do myself too.
    Converted DSD => PCM does not sound that different with a good setup.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2023
  14. AngeloMM

AngeloMM New Member

Yes that could be the solution for SACD and DVD-A, but for the video what could I buy given the remaining requirements (DV, BD iso, MKV, full support for all movies audio formats and so on, without thinking too much at the BD menus)?
    The UDH3000 could be oversized if I'll keep the audio on the Oppo and I'll use the media player only for the video?