Clock issue if power killed abruptly

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Michael Mamone, Jun 5, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Hey all,
    On two separate occasions, my Z9X has been abruptly powered down (either blackout, or accidental power cable pull), and on each of those occasions, the following happened:
    1. The device was able to power up correctly
    2. The device was no longer able to access internet
    3. This was due to the clock being set to March 26th, 2037
    4. It was no longer able to get the correct time via the internet
    5. I need to switch the time to "manual", and the enter the correct time
    6. Once the time is entered manually, the device can access internet correctly, and functions normally.
    Surely the device should be able to recover from an abrupt shutdown? How can this be fixed?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

These boxes all use NNTP servers to return the correct time and they do this pretty much immediately upon power on as long as there is an internet connection. I pull the plug (literally) on my boxes all the time and I've never had a single instance of what you describe.

If you have a blackout then presumably your router goes down too and therefore the internet will return some time after the Z9X has booted once power returns which means the box cannot immediately access the internet and therefore cannot immediately restore the correct time.

If you really want to, you can open the box and install a button cell - I forget what size, but it's been mentioned elsewhere on the forum. I've never found that to be necessary though.

3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

4. My router is attached to a UPS, so it's uptime is fairly solid. The oddity, is that once the date is set to 2037, it cannot access any internet (therefore, cannot access nntp) - most likely due to https not working due to the massively incorrect date.

Surely there's a better solution, before going down the battery path?

5. Nice Monkey

Putting in a cell is no rocket science and meant for exactly your conditions.

Never seen problems powering up after a disconnection getting the NTP time.
    Do this all the time switching between Z9X and Neo X as they react on the same remote.

Booting up a router can give problems unless you manually set the IP-Address for your Zidoo as it may give out a new IP-Address using DHCP.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  6. Will opening the unit void my warranty?

As mentioned, the router is on a UPS, and is not handing out new ip addresses, not not sure why the z9x cannot access the ntp servers.

7. Nice Monkey

Good question, in theory yes. The Z9X still has a seal but newer Neo units don't anymore.

8. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Again, no idea what's going on in your case - I just depowered and repowered without ethernet. The unit powered up at 1st Jan 2018 (which makes sense!) but within 4 seconds of plugging the ethernet cable back in it had pinged the nntp server and set time and date correctly.

Probably worth a factory reset.