Can we have a rollback/downgrade FW option?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Oldpainless, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

As per the title, is there a legitimate reason that I may have missed as to why you can't rollback an update? Or have I missed something?

Cheers

K

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    Telemachos and Nice Monkey like this.
  2. vddan

vddan Active Member

Same thing as the dune it would be ideal !!

Oldpainless likes this.
  3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Frankly never understood why it is not allowed. Always possible to do a factory reset if the result is unstable. A reset could be enforced for that matter too.

Oldpainless likes this.
  4. Oldpainless

5. Bartimaus

Bartimaus New Member

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's something I've asked about several times and never really got a satisfactory answer - I was told at one point that because an updated SDK is used on every update it's not possible to roll back.

I know for example with the Dunes that when they make major changes and presumably update the SDK, those particular updates cannot be rolled back also.

7. Oldpainless

Thanks Mark. Then by that logic, they should be able to provide rollbacks on minor version updates (where the SDK has stayed the same). Kodi uses a similar type of approach. I remember when I was using Kodi years ago (might have been ver 15), you could so incremental updates and rollbacks, but then major version would come out with a completely different database structure, leaving you the choice to stay as you are, or update/migrate.

And, also, with Tech, normally where there is a will, there is a way...

Just a thought.

8. Markswift2003

Ok - a bit more information - the rollback process has been disabled for safety reasons because there may be hardware differences between different batches.

9. Oldpainless

Shame, but thanks for digging Mark.

10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Should still work with an implicit factory reset.

11. Markswift2003

There is a way to allow regressions on the older boxes which involves a factory reset, but not the 1619.