Black clipping in Dolby Vision with the Zidoo, would not be fixed (?)

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Akhnaten, Dec 15, 2022.

1. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

Hi,

I just came across this video (DMDreview), what do the experts think ?
    @Markswift2003 ?

"In this video, I will show the problem of displaying black levels on Dolby vision videos. I will talk about the source of the problem and the confirmation of this theory. I will also tell you how media players are doing now, which ones can display correctly and which ones can't. I recently added an Amazon fire tv max to this list. Zidoo, on the contrary, went overboard with fixing this problem."

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Old news. Fixed a while ago.

B0RN and Akhnaten like this.
  3. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

"Old" ? That's to say ?

Because the video was published just two hours ago, and there is talk of an upcoming video, complementary to this one.
    So it kind of feels current...

Fixed when ? I have not seen a new firmware version since beta 6.4(7).42, and I have the impression that the correction
    he mentions, and does not find satisfactory, is that proposed by 6.4 (7).42

Could it be that Zidoo has deployed an OTA update in the background and therefore invisible to the user ?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  4. Markswift2003

Black clipping in Dolby Vision was only a issue under very specific circumstances - it was fixed a few firmwares back - I forget which one.

Dune and Zappiti as far as I know haven't fixed it - after they stole our last fix for HDMI levels we decided not to publish what we did or what the cause was.

serg fedorov and sojer2005 like this.
  5. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

I knew that, I had followed the information about it.

Where I'm amazed is that the person in this video (and you have to watch it to the end because it only talks about Zidoo at the end)
    seems to question the effectiveness of this latest fix offered by Zidoo.

As for Zappiti and the feedback I got from it, it seems that their latest firmware (deployed just after the "Paris Audio-Video Show", so November 7-8 I believe),
    according to users, has significantly changed lowlight performance in SDR and HDR/DV.

But curiously, the change-log of their latest firmware makes no mention of elements improving the image, and despite users' requests
    to know what would have been modified, Zappiti remains completely silent on this point...

6. DrGiggles

DrGiggles Member

This capture was made with the latest firmware.

7. Markswift2003

I can only get about 30s into that file without falling asleep.

8. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

No worries, this video isn't very motivating, and I had to push myself to watch it to the end,
    so I understand that you didn't want to watch it in full.

But in this case, refrain from answering, because if you do not take note of the information it contains, the answer you give is false !

In this case you started from the idea, without even having watched to the end, that the video mentioned an old situation...
    when this is not the case:
    Concerning Zidoo, these are tests carried out very recently, with the latest version of the firmware, and which mention a doubt (argued)
    on the effectiveness of the fix carried out some time ago.

As said in the video that you haven't watched, there will be a second one which will more thoroughly test the hypothesis
    of the black clipping problem which is still partially present.

The person who publishes the videos and does the tests on this channel, indeed has a soporiphic and laborious way of presenting his videos,
    but it seems that he knows what he is talking about, and with solid technical bases.

9. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

Do Trolls (or is it Naughty Elf?), come out the same time of year now as Santa? Confused.com

rozel likes this.
  10. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

Very constructive and intelligent as an answer...

How does the content of this topic resemble a troll ?

Rather than throwing oil on the fire unnecessarily, let us take advantage of your expertise on the subject by explaining,
    with your technical knowledge and mastery of course, how the content of the video (and the rest of the work of this person) is trolling ?

I don't usually relay bogus information just to waste people's time.
    I'm just wondering, and I'm quite ready to admit that I may have been wrong about the validity and reliability of content, if that's the case.
    But still it is necessary to argue it with something... and not a poor mindless reflection.

B0RN likes this.
  11. Oldpainless

Edit= let's suppose for one moment that this is not a troll post (created by a so called competitor)

Have you tried any of the proper test files to test it for yourself? If you need help with what test files, let the forum know, as there are plenty of people here that can help.

12. Akhnaten

Akhnaten Member

There's no reason for this to be a troll working for competitors.

I have already seen many of the videos on this YouTube channel, and the advanced tests concerning the mediaboxes are carried out
    without taking sides for this or that brand.

The person who performs them is, from what I have been able to observe each time, objective, and nothing of what is said is presented
    without the corresponding technical tests and measures !

I did a number of "basic home" tests, having all the necessary patterns, and the minimum knowledge to use them correctly.

But I don't have the editing/grading equipment (DaVinci Resolve) used to dissect the renderings to understand which parts of the metadata
    are concerned, and in what way. At this level it is beyond my skills.

But it seemed to me that here were people with the knowledge to verify the beginning of information given by the video
    (because I remind you that another video with additional tests will deepen the information already mentioned).

And I thought... but obviously wrongly... that the people who invested some time ago in the resolution of this problem related to Dolby Vision,
    that they would be interested in the fact that the correction would deserve maybe to be improved.

Obviously, I was wrong, sorry for the inconvenience, the subject is closed.

13. mattmarsden

mattmarsden Active Member

In all tests I’ve done with multiple files the black clipping is definitely fixed in DV.

AngryVirginian likes this.
  14. DMDreview

DMDreview New Member

Hi, djnice77 suggested me to write on your forum. I see you put me in the trolls, thank you. But still I want to clear up the situation with DV video zidoo. Apparently you didn't watch my video very well, or you didn't watch it at all.

And so, I attached screenshots for profile 5 and 8, for Zidoo and for Fire tv max. Screenshots taken in LLDV output mode. If you know how to use dropper, you can see (just open it in Davinci Resolve to see true 10 bit values) that Zidoo outputs wrong levels for the 8th profile, 73-71 values are the same, then 70-68 values are also the same, and further to zero value will be kept as 67, i.e. there is no black color, it has brightness as 67 values. Also if you compare with Fire tv max output, you will see that its black levels are brighter, have a higher value, and its value of 64 is RGB 0-0-0, black is output correctly.
    Also gave you the values for the Zidoo before the new firmware, the capture from the Zidoo Z1000 pro. I hope this helps you solve the problem.

The files are here
    drive.google.com/drive/folders/1taRTnzwQKvzYk-qS8M6jqedcfok7QEkH?usp=sharing

DrGiggles and Akhnaten like this.
  15. Oldpainless

Thank you for posting this on the forum. From my experience here, there are no taboo's, and if something is broken, and it can be replicated, it get's fixed.

I will bet my last pound that @Markswift2003 will look at what you have shared.

Thank you for taking the time to post.

16. Markswift2003

The problem is that VS10 is a black box and Dolby just aren't interested in fixing anything.

The black level issue we faced a while back was only present under very specific circumstances and as I say, I'm unwilling to share details of that to keep Dune from understanding where it comes from.

We raised an ticket with Realtek but they only responded after I'd given the Zidoo devs the solution and as it turned out, Realtek's solution didn't work and mine did, so we closed the ticket - again to stop Dune from fixing it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for competition from Dune because that keeps us on our toes, but they p**sed me off when they nicked my HDMI levels fix. They ain't doing it for this!

If they suss it out for themselves however, then it's all good.

Black now clips at 71 which is way better than my Sony UHD player, so I'm happy with that, and as I say, with VS10 being a black box, I don't think there is any more improvement to be had, neither do I think it's necessary.

OlivierQC, Oldpainless and Akhnaten like this.
  17. DMDreview

DMDreview New Member

The problem here is that there is no black, black is not black, but a little lighter than normal, perhaps this is not a problem on OLED, as 67 it is very dark, but in idea on LED and projectors should increase the luminosity of black.
    There is also a problem with the lower brightness of all values, which darkens the darkest shades a bit.

About the Dune, I will help them with a solution, I already know the cause and solution how to get around the problem to get an image like Fire tv max and Shield

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  18. Oldpainless

And, there it is.....great track thou..."they see me trollin"....wait, I mean ridin.....

Last edited: Dec 16, 2022
  19. DMDreview

DMDreview New Member

I have no desire to troll zidoo. they were able to come up with a solution, good. Too bad it's not a full-fledged one. As an owner including Dune real vision I will try to help them if they want to solve this problem.

20. Oldpainless

Awesome. And thanks for your contribution to the Zidoo community. Now, I'm off to watch a film on my Z1000Pro.

rozel likes this.