Beta version v6.4.29 for Z9X release

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by mirror, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Ben Guzman

Ben Guzman New Member

Looking forward to checking out the new audio functions. Thanks!

2. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

Faster trailers :) I already like it.

@mirror any progress on keeping the database in HT live for all movies when source (the drive) is disconnected?
    It was discussed and voted on here. If anybody else is interested in this feature cast your vote there.

ccart likes this.
  3. farhanito

farhanito New Member

What kind of online videos are we talking here exactly?

4. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

I'll have to check the HDR10+ test file on my Vizio. I'm not even sure if Vizio is displaying HDR10+ properly to begin with. There are so few TVs that support it, you would think Samsung is the only manufacturer truly invested in getting the most out of the format.

5. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

I used Alita and Back to the Future to test since both movies come with DV and HDR10+

6. HDGuy

HDGuy Active Member

It’s not a matter of HDR10+ being output, so your TV will acknowledge that the content is HDR10+, it’s a matter of the dynamic metadata being played correctly.

Much to my surprise I played back a few HDR10+ test files on my 2018 4k Fire Stick and the metadata isn’t being output properly there either. You’d think of all things Amazon’s products would handle HDR10+ properly because they have so much original content with it.

7. Nathan W

Nathan W Member

Can confirm that that the issue of content being raised when forcing HDR10+ with mapping HDR10 setting is still there on a DV/HDR10+ file, but the other 2 issues I reported (incorrect metadata for 5-10 seconds when resuming, and just getting plain HDR on auto when playing P8 DV/HDR10+ on a HDR10+ display) are solved.

8. Zapo

Zapo New Member

Hi all.
    Just updated to this firmware from v6.3.92 to try to fix a weird video corruption issue and have run into another issue. For some reason no video will play in ZDMC. Whenever I try to play a video it just says "Cannot play video" and returns to kodi/zdmc.

Is there something between v6.3.92 and v6.4.28 that breaks the playback of videos in ZDMC?

I tried to roll back the firmware back to v6.3.92 but the interface would not allow that. Is there a way to force the rollback to an older version of the firmware?

Thanks.
    Zapo.

9. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

You do not need to go the extreme measure of rolling back the Zidoo firmware... however you will most likely need to uninstall the ZDMC app and reinstall.... One time my ZDMC got corrupted with the exact same symptom you have reported and the uninstall/reinstall fixed it for me.

10. vddan

vddan Active Member

Since yesterday morning I have been testing this new update and I admit I have seen nothing more !!!
    For me, the big problem is HT4 of an exasperating slowness as soon as an operation is asked!
    So in the end no change for me ..........

11. Stu Pedasso

Stu Pedasso New Member

Do we have any idea when the auto forced subtitles behavior will be fixed? Any progress at all? I just set up my brand new Z9X last night and the first problem I noticed was that forced subtitles are not displayed no matter what settings I use in "default language----subtitles" and "forced subtitles" when playing MKVs. I have to manually set the forced subs to be displayed by pressing the subtitle button and then choosing the forced subtitle track. Forced subtitles are properly displayed by any other player I have owned or used, so I assumed (incorrectly) that this was a problem of years past and was no longer an issue with ANY player.

I also have a request for future firmwares (if this is the right place to post it) - Due to the fact that there are a growing number of IMAX titles these days, the ones that switch AR from widescreen to 16:9, AND the fact that there are a lot of projector owners with constant image height screens, it would be really great to have a "constant image height" option available, like madVR uses. As things stand now (no fault to Zidoo), CIH users have to set the image for the maximum height, which in the case of IMAX will be when the AR switches to 16:9. The rest of the movie, which is widescreen, then has black borders on all 4 sides, as the widescreen image must be reduced much like it is on 16:9 screens, only with a widescreen, the 16:9 image already has pillar bars on both sides.

My big concern with this new box (for me), though, is the forced sub flag needs to be recognised and displayed, as that is a major problem.

Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  12. azon1951

azon1951 Active Member

I updated my Z9X to 6.4.28G and the auto frame rate refresh in Kodi doesn't work anymore. Im using Kodi because most of my series have aac 5.1 and my soundbar play it in stereo mode. Kodi AC3 transcoding feature solved my problem. Hope that this feature will be added to HT4 very soon.

I just got my Z9X this week and the firmware installed is 6.4.06. Is it possible to downgrade my device to stable version without breaking it?

13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Too many people jump in to say either the Zidoo has a bug or that a certain firmware is not stable, without considering that their own machines may be suspect or connected devices. People don't search before posting nor do they consider that Zidoo release beta firmwares so that they can be tested. It's rare we have a firmware that is OTA but those are what you may want to describe as "stable". What is stable for one person may not be for another. I don't use Kodi but I believe most people have switched to the Kodi based ZDMC software which seems more "stable" on Zidoos - please anyone correct me if this is not the case. Streaming is not a positive with Zidoos - these are Media players.

I thought I'd just say all that to try and cut down on and avoid misconceptions. Shoot me if you wish

14. azon1951

azon1951 Active Member

I'm sorry. English is not my first language. I'm just a regular person didn't know the technical term about audio video thing...
    As stated in the Download section in Zidoo website, there is a Beta and Stable. And when select to receive beta update in software updater there is a warning. That's what I get the term "Stable Version".
    I'm not a fan of streaming addons in Kodi. I used Kodi because of the issue that I stated before. As far as I would love to use the HT4 but it doesn't solved my problem with AAC audio.
    Yes. I know Zidoo is media player. That's why choose this over other certified TV boxes where I can easily install Netflix and watch movies.

15. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

If you mean the raised black level for "Mapping HDR10"- nope - just checked and that's fixed here.

16. TifKag

TifKag Active Member

Screenshot_20220718-161505.png
    As far as i know this is the only projector related setting (LLDV), is is found in the display settings.
    When that is not what you are looking for, ask @Markswift2003

Letmein likes this.
  17. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I should have made clear that my post wasn't pointed directly at you, I'm sorry if you thought it was. But ZDMC has been promoted as an alternative to Kodi and more suited to our Zidoos. Give it a try

azon1951 likes this.
  18. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I use MKVs exclusively and forced subs work perfectly with Playback/Default Language/Default Subtitles > "Off" and Playback/Forced Subtitle > "Auto". So not sure what the problem is there.

As for IMAX titles - these are the bane of any projectionist trying to frame correctly.

I use a CIW screen and the way I get around it is to hard mask to 2.35:1 and soft mask mask in the projector to 2.35:1 as well.

I hate variable aspect ratios with a passion - it just pulls you out the movie with a dull thud so since the DOP will always frame an IMAX scene to fit a scope presentation to maintain compatibility, I find that the best thing is to watch the whole lot in scope.

crutzulee likes this.
  19. crutzulee

crutzulee Member

I think our setups are similar, so I do the same with variable A/R movies (which I hate as well).

I'm a little confused as to what our setups (JVC projectors through DENON amps) are doing with DV and HDR+ titles converted to LDDV. I've followed your guide for such setups with the ZIDOO. I was under the impression that the dynamic(?) extra info on these titles was being processed in player (player led?) and that we were benefitting from this on our HDR only displays.

Is this the case, or is the ZIDOO simply tossing out this info and simply playing the "base" layer of these titles? Also, someone above mentioned "test files" for HDR 10+. My setup has always played DV and HDR10+ despite what may, or may not have been, a misunderstanding as to what was happening with the extra info. If we are benefitting from these layers, are there test files that somehow display what we should be seeing if the extra dynamic info is being processed?

20. Stu Pedasso

Stu Pedasso New Member

Hello Markswift2003! It is a pleasure to finally meet you...your reputation precedes you. I am friends with Dave Harper, Dominic Chan, and a bunch of other people over at AVS (where I use my real name, Bob Sorel), and everybody speaks very highly of you.

Back to the problem. I have tried the settings you recommended above, but they are not working for me...I have no idea why. Just so you know, I rip my own discs using MakeMKV and then I remux keeping just the streams that I want using MKVMerge (MKVToolnix), and Ionly keep a single subtitle stream in English that has all the subs to the movie. I do not set the default flags nor the forced flag for those subs. If the movie contains forced subs, I keep it as a second sub stream and flag it with both the default and forced flags. This works perfectly with most every hardware and software player I have tried in the last 4 or 5 years, so I don't know why this issue is coming up with the Zidoo, but based on things I have read elsewhere in this forum, I am not the only one who is having this trouble. I just got the Zidoo connected in my system last night, so I will take the time to learn my way around it and try different settings to see if I can get this working correctly. I guess as a workaround, I could always start the video, MANUALLY engage the forced sub stream, and then exit, as it looks to me as if the Zidoo "remembers" the sub choice from that point on.

Yeah, the IMAX titles really suck for CIH users, though I am sure they are better for CIW owners. My theater has a lot more width available than height, so I will have to figure out how to deal with it better than I am right now. I was just hoping that the madVR "trick" could be incorporated in the Zidoo...just a shot in the dark...:p

I am very pleased with the video and audio quality of the Zidoo...I am using the VS10 engine for everything and sending it as LLDV and a $30 EZCOO HDMI splitter to spoof the EDID and everything looks fantastic so far! I am just getting my feet wet with LLDV, and I will most likely opt to buy the VRROOM once I get comfortable with everything. The projector is an Epson LS12000 witha 158" 2.35:1 AT screen, so the LLDV options available in the Zidoo, as well as the included VS10 engine, really helps with the Epson's less than spectacular HDR handling.

Anyway, nice to meet you and I hope to see you around at AVS as well. If you have any suggestions for me, don't hesitate to post your suggestions...I'm all ears (literally, as I am bald...:cool: )