Amazed but a bit confused about the VS10

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by sharpordie, Apr 30, 2023.

1. sharpordie

sharpordie New Member

Hello,

As I understand, VS10 is used to have DV effect on SDR display. But you can use it for DV display too... I am lost.

1) There is no doubt VS10 is a must for SDR display, right?
    2) With DV display, should I use VS10 Engine for SDR?
    3) With DV display, should I use VS10 Engine for HDR?
    4) With DV display, should I use VS10 Engine for HDR+?

There is also an option for always using VS10 Engine.

5) So it means I could have DV effect everywhere?
    6) Is it that great for picture slideshow?
    7) Is it that great for apps like SmartTubeNext?
    8) What's your usage for this feature?

Thanks for your future answers. ;)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Personal choice really, I have a 4K tv supporting DV. I have it set to everything, it looks good imo even old 1930’s B/W Fred Astaire movies, etc. it really depends on the whole system you have. I don’t have any additional apps other than Google. I watch movies and TV series only. Don’t play music, I have a separate music room for that but using it less as I’m going deaf as the years roll on. Others will comment I’m sure but finally the best way is to try it on a range of material from the very good to the barely watchable.

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

I started with VS10 on everything on my OLED77C2 but noticed on some SDR/HDR10 movies it brightened some scenes too much so I turned it back to AUTO and only using VS10 for DV content only.

B0RN likes this.
  4. sharpordie

sharpordie New Member

I am very confused between AUTO and VS10 for DV content only on a DV capable display.What's the difference?

5. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Active Member

AUTO = VS10 for DV, and Realtek engine for HDR/SDR.

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

1) - Absolutely not - depends if you prefer the image to passthrough.
    2) - Again, depends if you prefer the image to passthrough
    3) & 4) - You can't choose between HDR10 & HDR10+, but see 2
    5) - Yes
    8) - Complicated because I use VS10 for DV on a non-DV display by spoofing the EDID

Not commented on 6 & 7 because I don't use them.

On a DV display it's the same thing.

xskip likes this.
  7. sharpordie

sharpordie New Member

Thank you very much for your answers.

I just received my Z9X, very happy except for the subtitles, I don't understand anything. I guess the behavior changes depending on the system language. Anyway I'm exploring the beast, I think I'll make another post on the subject if I don't find anything on the forum.

Concerning the VS10, it's really good for SDR! I just watched the first episode of Stranger Things and it's much better than SDR and I have my TV picture profiles (SDR ans DV) set up properly. There was no effect of too much brightness.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
  8. Bill-Z9X

Bill-Z9X Active Member

I have permanently LLDV mode (VS10) for all content, including IPTV with TiviMate App. Everything is output in DV. I find it very good, could not observe any overexposure so far.