16TB HDD RECOMMENDATION, for internal bay of the Zidoo Z10 Pro

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by masterchipo, Jul 6, 2023.

1. masterchipo

masterchipo New Member

It turns out that I ran out of physical space to have my movies in the internal bay of the Zidoo Z10 Pro.
    I have a 6TB WD HDD but I want to go for the max which would be a 16TB HDD but the prices are crazy in my country.
    I have to buy one anyway always in 16TB. I've seen the Seagates (the only ones sold here). But there are several models.
    What model do you recommend?
    There is the Ironwolf Pro (very expensive) and other models with the same capacity. I don't use NAS, for my country it's too much money.
    I can get the 16 TB Seagate but as I said there are several models from the Pro (the most expensive) to others like the Skyhawk, and finally the Exos.
    Those are the ones you have here.
    I ask you to recommend one to save all the movies to see and some already seen. Because sometimes I delete or move to other portable external drives, the ones I keep to see again.
    I have these three Seagate models to show, but not from the experience of each unit, but from the manufacturer's technical specifications, perhaps you can tell me which one I can buy, taking into account the difference in price between one model and another, and here are the three Seagate models (I put the links not because of the price but because of the specifications, which I don't know)
    1) https://www.ebay.com/itm/2558088133...FiblOL|tkp:BFBM4uCewqVi&LH_ItemCondition=1000
    or this other
    2) https://www.ebay.com/itm/2252643219...iw==|tkp:Bk9SR97gnsKlYg&LH_ItemCondition=1000
    or this other
    3) https://www.ebay.com/itm/2558088018...vw==|tkp:Bk9SR97gnsKlYg&LH_ItemCondition=1000
    There is a big difference between the three models.
    Don't look at the prices on Ebay. I only send the links so that you can see the technical specifications. Because as I said before, I'm only going to use it as an Internal Hard Drive housed in the internal bay of the Zidoo Z10 Pro. I use that hard drive to upload and add movies, which I download from utorrent, or make a backup copy on other drives . And only to play the contents on the Zidoo.
    Being the cheapest the skyhawk, then the exos follow and the most expensive is the Ironwolf.
    And I wonder, if the only function is to store movies, music and TV shows, and not have data on the network, wouldn't it be more convenient to go for the cheapest one?
    It's a simple question for someone who doesn't have technical knowledge, but using logical reasoning, it works for a few hours a day and only for playing content.
    I have no answer for it, given my ignorance on the subject.
    Thank you all.

2. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Exo's are Enterprise class drives, so meant for reliability in a commercial environment. They can also be a little noisy but so far, mine (second hand 16Tb & 18Tb) have worked reliably with video files (but not inside a Zidoo).
    Ironwolf Pro is a NAS drive, so without a NAS, not really worth you paying extra to the Exos (which can be put into a NAS in any case). They can still be noisy as they also run at 7200rpm.
    Skyhawk's are designed as surveillance drives, so would still be suitable for video use but are also 7200rpm. Have not owned one so cannot comment on noise (but did try to buy a second hand 16Tb Surveillance from eBay and the seller found it not working when tested, so substituted a 18Tb Exos :cool: ).

I found a HGST 8Tb 7200rpm NAS HDD (removed from previous media player) too noisy for my liking, inside my Z1000 Pro and replaced it with a 2.5" laptop drive. Unfortunately these don't come larger than 5Tb :(
    Of course, you could do this and buy a large capacity external HDD (most are 5400rpm) to plug into your Zidoo's USB port.

If you want to save money, consider second hand HDD's. They can often be found much cheaper than new and with good SMART and low hours of use. Some businesses upgrade NAS' and offload their HDD's regularly. Some eBay sellers provide a limited warranty for what they sell (some test first and provide results of SMART on the listing for each drive).

With all hard drives, it is a risk as to when they will fail. This is why a NAS with at least RAID 5 is popular! I have a few (most purchased second hand).
    If you don't have a backup, be prepared to lose it all. When my 8Tb WD Purple drive started failing, with persistence I was able to copy around 4Tb of movies off, before it died completely.
    Whilst it was replaced under warranty by WD, luckily I had a list of what was on the failed drive......

3. masterchipo

masterchipo New Member

Thanks, @Phil181 , but in my country Argentina, it is impossible to buy something imported, due to customs, economic and political problems.
    It is also impossible due to the high costs, to build a NAS, nor to make ethernet wiring throughout the house, my wife would kill me, nor would I risk buying a used hard drive. Just for the warranty issue.
    There is a lot of difference between the two models.
    On the other hand, I am already 72 years old, my birthday is July 10, and although I see a movie every night, there is no material time for me to see all the movies stored.
    I think that of all the Seagate models, the Skyhawk is the cheapest and I will go for this one.
    I appreciate your information
    Sincerely
    Thank you @Phil181
    masterchipo

Phil181 likes this.
  4. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

I got the WD Red Plus 14TB. Very quiet. The previous Seagate Exos 14TB was very noise (enterprise drive)

darkeyes909 and masterchipo like this.
  5. masterchipo

masterchipo New Member

Sorry for a long time @tc2007 , just now that my daughter is traveling to Argentina (she lives in Paris) I will ask her to buy me the HDD that you recommend.
    Now, can you recommend a store or an Ebay or Amazon seller that she can buy with peace of mind, since she lives in France and I don't think she understands much about noise and performance and here in Buenos Aires I couldn't change if it works poorly .
    Thank you @tc2007

6. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

7. masterchipo

masterchipo New Member

8. masterchipo

masterchipo New Member

@tc2007 @Phil181 @Markswift2003
    Oh, thanks, but I see they are recycled and I want new.
    What do you think of this Toshiba model and the brand. Don't look at the price but at the features, noise and all that.
    I have many complications, the price does not matter, it will always cost less than in my country, which I cannot directly buy for reasons of public knowledge. In addition to the language.
    Here I put the links:
    https://www.macway.com/16-to-toshib...iii-35-7200-trmin-512-mo-mg08aca16te/p3073247
    This is the very trusted house or business in Paris, where my daughter would buy and the models here.
    I repeat, I do not want reused or recycled or renovated.
    https://www.macway.com/disque-dur-interne/n200116/+na-e:11+na-fc42:5807.html
    And this model, is it worth paying more for it?:
    https://www.macway.com/western-digital-red-pro-35-16000-go-sata/p2432994?nid=200116&oid=1620599
    Please, I await a response, urgently because I have to decide today.
    I hope you know how to understand
    Thank you

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I have no experience of Toshiba drives but decades of experience with Western Digital, so that's where my money would go.

masterchipo likes this.
  10. masterchipo

masterchipo New Member

Your explanation is very clear, colleague and friend.
    Above all, when they are such expensive products and that also contain what is most precious to us: our collection of films that it has cost us so much sacrifice to keep little by little over the years.

Thanks a lot with all my heart

11. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

You're welcome - good luck!

masterchipo likes this.
  12. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

@masterchipo I would also go with WD or Seagate Exos. If money is no problem for you, I recommend keeping a backup of your movies on another hard drive.

masterchipo likes this.
  13. masterchipo

masterchipo New Member

No, mistake, I don't have enough money, I think I like everyone else.
    About the backup, it's true, you're right.
    Regarding the WD drive and Seagate Exos, wasn't there someone who said that the Seagate was very noisy?
    The noise that affects? The sound of the movie or is it an external noise?
    Because I need to clarify at this point that noise does not affect me, unless it ruins the movie.
    Thank you for taking the trouble to answer and help me in this election that would seem like a state cause.

14. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

All 16TB enterprise drives will be noisy. It means the hard drives make clicking sound when the data is read. It depends on how close you are. Only heard during quiet movie scene so not usually a problem.

Phil181 and masterchipo like this.
  15. masterchipo

masterchipo New Member

Thanks a lot
    Anyway, I'm a little deaf in my right ear.

tc2007 likes this.