New firmware v2.2.96 version for ZIDOO Z9S release

Discussion in 'ZIDOO Z9S' started by pavlin67, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Being a shop. I would also insist you doing a test using their supplied short cable first. 4K with HDR plus Atmos peaks at the bandwidth limit HDMI 2.0 can transport.

I don't agree it does not make a difference. Using converters with optical cable for sure has an impact on HDMI peak bandwidth (just not on functionality).
    It for sure also has an impact on clock jitter and never produces the very optimal sound or video but that is a secondary consideration (same reason Coaxial SPDIF is better than Optical SPDIF).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    myzidoo likes this.
  2. Emphyrio

Emphyrio Member

i have tried those

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00B4CVV60/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00KR9E0UK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00J268HFI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32944697312.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27426c37iCCaGi
    https://www.amazon.fr/ATZEBE-Câble-Fibre-Optique-100m-Supporte/dp/B07L2XWHVN?th=1

and their cable of course

3. Nice Monkey

If you got the same results with the original supplied then it is indeed time for a RMA (return).
    Seen you bought it on Aliexpress you in fact can start a claim via them too. Did this for goods not received and they helped me well.

4. Emphyrio

Emphyrio Member

seems it will be difficult, after described my problem some talk they tell me that

"4k movies don't support 4:4:4, we think this is the reason of HDMI drop"

5. Nice Monkey

To be honest I leave all the color settings on auto with Zidoo. Works just fine for me.

6. Emphyrio

Emphyrio Member

Here the last sentences with zidoo, is it true that zidoo don't support as they say, 4k with chroma 4:4:4 ?

My friend, could you tell us these movies are all 4k?
    4k movies don't support 4:4:4, we think this is the reason of HDMI drop.
    yesterday

[​IMG]
    I'm sorry but 4k movies 23.976 fps 10bit (HDR or not) support chroma YUV 4:4:4. Not supported for 60 fps, but i'm not 60 fps
    Lu
    is there are on this page the correspondance https://community.cedia.net/blogs/david-meyer/2018/05/16/hdmi-data-rates-for-4k-hdr
    Lu
    4:03 AM
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for your message but Zidoo don't support 4k 4:4:4
    Thanks for your message but Zidoo don't support 4k 4:4:4

7. Nice Monkey

8. Emphyrio

Emphyrio Member

Problem is i can't watch movies at original framerate , my projector handcheck (and so the Zidoo) at 10 bit 4:4:4 23Htz and the zidoo drop the signal. have to put to non - native framerate (60 htz) so the question was why (my) zidoo drop at the handcheck

9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

4K23 10-bit 444 output from Realtek 129* SOCs has been know to cause issue with some monitors - I've seen this issue with the X9S but never the z9S - what projector is it?

The workaround was previously to use 4K23 12-bit 444, but unfortunately Zidoo decided to disable 4K23 12-bit 444 (it actually still outputs 10-bit) so that no longer works. This is a very bad decision in my opinion.

Have you tried 4K23 12-bit 422? This mode is handled internally at 8-bit so there will be chroma banding on some material but that's better than incorrect frame rates.

10. Emphyrio

Emphyrio Member

tks for your replies, i understand better those arguments than "don't support 4:4:4 4k" witch is not true

my projector is Epson EH-TW9400 witch is 5050UB as US reference i think. i thought i have seen those problem with Z9s few month ago in the topics "black screen issues"

Here is the Epson table

upload_2019-10-1_13-1-16.png upload_2019-10-1_13-1-16.png

as you suggest , i'll give a try at 4K23 12-bit 422. but remembering my tries few month ago, whatever i chosen, zidoo put me back at 4:4:4 10bit. may be

11. afss

afss Active Member

Once you install the main v2.2.96 image, both of those already come inside it, correct ?

New ZDMC 18.3
    New Gapps 1.2.4

Thanks !

12. Markswift2003

Nope :)

13. Nice Monkey

Correct these are not bundled which is unexpected. I have the feeling this is a legal thingy in one way or another?

14. Emphyrio

Emphyrio Member

you suggest to try Have you tried 4K23 12-bit 422 doesn't work, what ever i chose (12 bis & 4:2:2) , zidoo always force 10 bit 4:4:4 :(

15. Markswift2003

How long does your projector take to do a sync change? You're not missing the confirmation dialogue when you change bit depth are you?

Unlike the Dune, the confirmation dialogue doesn't stay on screen for very long so projector owners may not see it which is a real pain in the arm.

16. Emphyrio

Emphyrio Member

no it's ok, when i see confirmation dialog, it's before 12 sec before cancel.
    Developer menu in Zidoo where you can ignore EDID proposed by projector and display all possibilities does not exists since one or two firmware update i think ? i ask because may be it's the projector (there is a av yamaha between) who force EDID ? (menu in zidoo are display as "Prefered" ) so may be is it force to 10 bit 4:4:4 by the projector.

17. Markswift2003

Oddly your PJ specs say 4K23 12-bit 422 is supported, but you can reinstate Developer Options with:

Quick Settings / Other/ About / Advanced Settings / About TV Box - Highlight the Build number and click <OK> 7 times

18. afss

afss Active Member

thank you both for your replies !

19. Emphyrio

Emphyrio Member

i have tested a lot and with dev option.

at 23 Htz when i choose 10 or 12 bit i'm stick at 4:4:4
    so 4:2:2 8bit --> 4:2:2 8bit
    4:2:2 10bit --> 4:4:4 10bit
    4:2:2 12bit --> 4:4:4 10bit

when i choose at projector level option EDID normal and not expanded i beeing switch at 4:4:4 8bit

at 23htz can't choose 4:2:0, it's only available at 50-->60 Htz

thinking that color deep is the most important, so beeing at 10 bit force me to be at 60htz 4:2:0

20. Markswift2003

The HDMI spec does not support 420 at 23Hz (only at 50/60Hz) or 422 8-bit and 10-bit at any refresh so a lot of the above behaviour is expected, but...

422 12-bit certainly is a legal mode, so there has to be a problem with the PJ EDID if it's forcing the Zidoo to output 444 10-bit - don't forget the Zidoo doesn't force any particular mode, it's lead by the EDID - so if you choose a mode the EDID says no to, the Zidoo will then switch to the best legal mode at that frame rate.

That said, 444 10-bit should be the mode you use at 23Hz anyway, so we already know there's some incompatibility issue there.

I'm afraid the only way I know to trouble shoot issues like this is to use something like an HDFury Vertex where you have full control of what comes in, what goes out and what's in the EDID.

This may help though:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019