Cropped Dolby Vision with grey bars

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Suza, Jul 15, 2023.

1. Azreil24

Azreil24 Member

I have only seen this issue once on the Z9X Pro, after I tried to test the Metadata HDR option in trying to send only HDR10 output instead of DV. Switched back to Auto, restarted the movie and issue was gone.

enry184 likes this.
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

This issue was resolved in v1.0.65.

3. Nugget

Nugget New Member

Just bought the z9x pro and updated to v1.0.65. Still getting gray bars in player led dv on lg c3. Tv led is better but only shows as 8 bit colour.

4. xskip

xskip Active Member

No problem with gray bars.

top right, search: Tunneling

:)

5. Nugget

Nugget New Member

Oh, thanks! Sounds like the 8 bit rgb tunneling Dolby Vision signal still carries the 12 bit within. So no loss in quality in tv led. I still find it odd the black bars are still raised to grey on the player led. I wonder if anyone else is having this issue and why?

6. enry184

enry184 Member

@Markswift2003
    I have the same problem with the Zidoo UHD3000 connected to my 77 inch C3 OLED. If I set Standard LED TV DV in the Zidoo, black is perfect. If instead I set Player led LLDV, the black level is too high and I am forced to lower it to 44. Is this normal? What can be done?

7. Markswift2003

There seems to be a pattern here - LG displays, particularly the C3.

The Zidoos certainly don’t put out raised blacks any more so it has to be the display.

The issue raised on this thread is completely different, it’s to do with video background layers, not video, and again has been fixed a long time.

Can you post your EDID - there may be a fix in the Dolby block but I haven’t had it confirmed that it works.

Or just use TV Led.

8. enry184

enry184 Member

@Markswift2003
    Yes, the problem is different but similar to mine and not having found an already open discussion, I preferred to write here. By selecting "LLDV led player", the video quality is slightly higher so I would prefer to select "Player led LLDV" and not "TV Led". I attach my EDID. Thanks so much Mark

Attached Files:

• edid.rar
      File size:
      328 bytes
      Views:
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  9. Markswift2003

Ok, I'm afk at the moment but back tomorrow night, so I'll have a look then

If I forget, please @ me in this thread ;)

10. enry184

enry184 Member

@Markswift2003
    Ok, thanks always

11. Markswift2003

Ok, try this EDID:

https://mega.nz/file/MeJgjJ7S#CFQIxRDgpYTMlT50zTAqT1JuBcQwD6_B_T0RO8QwjN0

I don't know if this will work, but your EDID is strange for an LG one because T_MinPQ which is what defines the minimum nits in the Dolby Vision Block is set to 0.008 nits.

Usually, LGs are either 0.000 or 0.001.

What's also odd is that yoir C3 shows T-MaxPQ (maximum nits) as 900 but the last C3 EDID I saw was only about 600nits but this is probably due to difference in screen sizes.

Anyway, all I've done is change T_MinPQ from 0.008 to 0.000 so load this EDID and see if it makes a difference.

12. enry184

enry184 Member

Thanks so much Mark. I'll try the edit and let you know

13. enry184

enry184 Member

@Markswift2003
    Hey Mark, everything works perfectly. The blacks are back to the correct levels and the Dolby Vision contents can be seen really well. I'm so happy, I'll never stop thanking you. Thanks again!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  14. Markswift2003

Wow!

I've learned something too then - I'll have to do some testing with this with other devices and see if this is a Zidoo problem or an LG problem.

Very interesting...

I'm really pleased it's sorted for you :)

dr4go and enry184 like this.
  15. Markswift2003

It's an LG issue.

So it seems the EDID in the C3 does not match the display's capabilities - the Dolby Block shows minimum luminance as 0.08 nits, which as we've said is rather high for a flatscreen, especially a brand like LG.

Because LLDV essentially sends out a pre tone-mapped image in accordance with the Dolby Block, if the EDID says the min nits is 0.08 then it sends black at 0.08 nits.

And if the display can go below that so the display expects black at say 0.001 (or even 0.000) nits, then black will appear slightly grey.

So it's a bad EDID in the LG - something I've not considered before so I'm very grateful you brought this to my attention.

dr4go likes this.
  16. enry184

enry184 Member

@Markswift2003
    All very clear Mark. Happy to have been helpful to you and the community. One last question, is it more correct to set black to 0.001 or 0.000 nits? Or indifferent?

17. Markswift2003

It will depend on the display but to be honest, it will make very very little difference.

Without calibrating I would choose 0.000 because even if you lose 0.001 nit in shadow detail, you will never notice and black is definitely then set at zero nits.

18. enry184

enry184 Member

@Markswift2003
    Thanks so much for the explanations. As soon as you have time and opportunity, could you modify and send me the edid at 0.001 nit? In order to try them both and choose the one I like best. Thanks again Mark

19. Markswift2003

20. enry184

enry184 Member

dr4go and Markswift2003 like this.