Beta version v1.0.52 for Z9X Pro/Z20 Pro/Z2000 Pro/Z2600/UHD5000 release

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Markswift2003, Jul 21, 2023.

1. geebolt

geebolt Member

Definitely buggy and more so for some than for others. I only have the one issue of multi-channel dsf files not playing correctly but everything else is good for me. But I understand the problems are more numerous and serious for other users and for their sake (and mine) I hope a FW comes along soon to fix their issues.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Not mine we’re not - just watching the sun go down over Lago Trasimeno…

dr4go, blenky and geebolt like this.
  3. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

Zidoo used to release new firmware at a faster rate. Of late it has been too long between release especially as the new boxes have many issues. I'm one of the lucky ones where I do have issues but none are major. My Zidoo, with all its faults, is still my best option to play media.

AngryVirginian, dr4go and xskip like this.
  4. sandyj

sandyj Member

Yes agree with this and to me it has the best play back quality out there I am not sure there is a good alternative from my point of view it does normally take these companies a good 12 months or more to iron out the bugs which is pretty standard with these things. One thing I have learnt is not to install every update out there if things work pretty well then leave it alone and let things mature a bit more first before taking the plunge again. Zidoo may be also waiting on their partners for some of the fixes which will also be out of there control with the time lines as the Operating system and the processor has changed.

5. USA

USA Member

I am in the same boat.

In my 'long life' in the technology industry, I have never seen such an UNUSABLE new product as the Zidoo UHD5000.

Z5000 and Venmaster like this.
  6. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

I Recommend People that are not happy go buy a Zapitti you will have an even longer wait to get any updates ;)

its getting even slimmer pickings on a media player now so really you have no choice but to wait it out or
    Jump ship to …………

well were down to two options now as such .

7. Venmaster

Venmaster Member

It's the same for me with the Z200o Pro, I've never seen anything as unstable and I'm absolutely gutted I spent the money on it and to see owners who spent double the price I did on the flagship model and be getting the same issues is shocking.

In my opinion, 'Android TV O/S' should be dropped and these companies and developers should move on to a player that is 'Linux-based' or even 'Windows 11 Lite'.

It's not like Zidoo or Zapitti are charging the average 'Android TV Box' prices - they're already the price of a mid to high-end mini-PC, so make the move and utilise a far more powerful operating system.

You could even make the argument that these kinds of price tags could fund a modern 2 or 4 bay 4K-UHD compatible NAS server with an HDMI 2.1 port.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2023
    Z5000 and USA like this.
  8. USA

USA Member

There are very well other options like Zidoo, that existed even before the Zappiti bankruptcy, to play media. Here are just a few examples:

Dune HD:
    Definitely more stable and performant than Zidoo. The only disadvantage is that you can't make collections or customize posters from movies.

Plex with Nvidia Shield as client:
    Definitely more stable & performant than Zidoo, also a better GUI than Zidoo (Zidoo copied the GUI from Plex). With Nvidia Shield as client, DV/DA is also possible. Added plus you can access your movie collection remotely with tablet and smartphone.

Combination DNLA (Plex, NAS, application, etc.) with Disc Player:
    Use classic disc players, like Oppo or Magnetar, in combination with DNLA. I have successfully tested my Oppo UDP203 with various DNLA sources. I will now still test all variants with my new Magnetar UDP900 (https://www.magnetar-audio-us.com/udp900).

...and let's be honest, high-end disc players are superior to Zidoo and other media players, in the following points:
    - BD Menus
    - Forced Subtitles
    - Stability
    - Picture (especially pan & tilt, more vivid) and audio quality
    - Much more performance (faster in booting, starting in play, pause, resume...)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2023
    Z5000, leviathan and Venmaster like this.
  9. Laseriano

Laseriano New Member

Hello, I have owned a zidoo UHD 5000 for 2 weeks and I also have a Zappiti Reference.
    My experience with zidoo at the moment is not bad, I am not having problems playing any movies, neither mkv nor ISO, well as you all know, some of the full menus do not appear but the movies are played without problems. Also a very mentioned problem in this forum is with the Samba protocol, so far it has worked without problems with my Nas synology I only had problems with 2 folders that I was able to solve by changing some characters and regarding the 2 disk bays that it comes with, I put 2 4TB disks that I already had full of movies and he recognized them without problems.
    That said, it still has errors to correct.
    A thought that runs through my head is if it is a firmware problem because for some users it works well and for others not even being able to view a complete movie makes any sense. I don't know if I were those owners of said machines I would demand a change of firmware. unit and not wait for a new firmware.

10. Venmaster

Venmaster Member

SMB with NTFS works fine for external connections. the issue which affects everyone is connecting to SMB on internal NTFS drives if installed via an external source, only the root folder can be connected to successfully...

If your drives are not formatted in NTFS then you probably don't have the problem but then you won't be able to use larger files if using FAT32 which is useless to most who have 4K REMUX Libraries.

In general playback of one movie has been fine, general issues for those affected have been consistent playback over 4 hours plus with memory spiking and the operating system responding slow and or crashing.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2023
    Z5000 likes this.
  11. Laseriano

Laseriano New Member

My hard drives if I remember correctly are formatted in exFat and my movies are all full or Remux with 60 or 70GB.
    The truth is that I haven't had the opportunity to use it for so long, the most I've seen is one movie in a row, anyway that seems more like a hardware problem rather than Sorware.

12. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

While not NTFS specific, I did want to call out that there are a multitude of SMB issues. I have SMB issues, with the zidoo connecting to my NAS. The zidoo, doesn't reconnect SMB shares on boot. If I open kodi or HT4, everything is empty. On boot, I have to first open the media browser, navigate to a share, which forces it to reconnect, then go back and open HT4 or kodi. No other player in my house has this issue, and the z9x (non-pro) I had prior to this didn't have this issue. This is a z9x pro issue.

13. Venmaster

Venmaster Member

Yes, this is another issue some are having added to the ever-long list of bugs with the current players.

It is shocking that Zidoo released them in such a state in my opinion - I think they needed a good 6 months back in the oven with beta testing and should have fixed the issues before releasing them or sold them with a warning and added an extra 12 months of warranty onto the sales to counter for the period of stagnant firmware releases.

nutzer and USA like this.
  14. fnhanks

fnhanks Member

At this rate, the warranty will expire before I even get to use the device. I've gone back to the shield in the meantime, as I need something that just works.

USA and Venmaster like this.
  15. cbnbmore

cbnbmore New Member

Do you think Zidoo is trying to capitalize on the demise of Zappiti and get Zappiti owners to switch over before they come up with their new app that supposedly will replace the cloud for a fee? New players can make many think that they are better performers than the current players.

USA likes this.
  16. USA

USA Member

A certain nervousness among the Zappiti users can be noticed. Some are already actively evaluating a new manufacturer and absolutely want to buy e.g. a Zidoo UHD5000, although I have issued the warning, wait until Zidoo has a usable firmware and if you do not believe me, go to the Zidoo forum and see what other users report. There are those who want to buy immediately, others who wait until they have bought the Zappiti solution. According to information, this should be presented at the Paris trade fair on 21/22 October.

I hope that the design will also be made more independent of a cloud. Zidoo is exemplary in this point, you can backup and restore your collection - this is best solved of all players I know. (A word of praise from me to Zidoo - not least because some here might think I'm just always bashing them).

Z5000 and Venmaster like this.
  17. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

The older Zidoo lineup is still much more usable than the Zappiti.

USA likes this.
  18. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

That's because they pay licensing fees for the media :)

19. USA

USA Member

Zidoo Z2000 Pro (More bugs than 'A Bug's Life')

LOL - cool slogan in your signature!

Z5000 likes this.
  20. nutzer

nutzer New Member

come on, zidoo, it's mid october now !!!! get going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moyt and Tarantula like this.