Pls Help Test Z9X with Oppo 203

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Sami Sosa

Sami Sosa New Member

Can you give me a cerian movie or scene that you saw a big difference between to two modes?

2. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Big difference in what sense? To me they all have huge differences between PQ in one scene or another.

3. Sami Sosa

Sami Sosa New Member

Can you give me an example of one so I could toggle between Cinema & Cinema Home?
    I looked at a scene from No Time To Die (When Bond talks to M on the phone and M is with Q and Bill). There is a circular red signal on Q's monitor that was a bit washed out on Cinema Home and on Cinema mode was proper red. But again, it wasn't like it turned from red to pink. It was just a bit less red.

I don't know. I'll try to go give the cinema mode a chance for a few days and see if I can live with it.

4. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Gotcha, as you said its that one thing you noticed in that one scene and that's how its gonna be overall cuz no movie is constantly in one tone at all times.
    I think Antman 3 was a good example where it was constant specular highlights once in quantum realm and in Cinema Home, those specular highlights are blown out and spreading light all over the screen constantly but in Cinema, they are much more defined and if you are watching in pitch black room, they really shine against the deeper blacks.

Also, if you have Harry Potter 1 in DV, when Harry is drawing the birthday cake on island home floor and Hagrid shows up with thunder and lighting outside, boy I couldn't keep my eyes open on those lightning shots creeping through the wooden door with Cinema, with CH those lighting shots arent as prominent. Also, the very first scene where Dumbledore appears from the woods in the dark, its very blown out background and very grey with Cinema Home and much more solid and darker with Cinema.

5. Sami Sosa

Sami Sosa New Member

Great, thanks. I'll give it a look tonight.

6. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

But yeah I am getting very much used to it myself now... and appreciated even the older movies I very well remember in Cinema Home mode and think Cinema looks much better and much deeper and accurate colors. But we also can't keeping A/B testing for ages either lol gotta make a decision sooner or later.

7. Sami Sosa

Sami Sosa New Member

And then we'll switch to a new tv and start the cycle again :D

8. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Bet! I am not in the market for a new tv right now as I have the excellent C9 in 77 inches but if I happen to be awarded a new TV from God lol I would go for the C3 83 inches so I can gain more real estate as opposed to more brightness with a G3. I used to have a Samsung that did 1600 nits and watching HDR on that in dark room can really do a number on your eyes/brain/sleep over a longer period.

xskip likes this.
  9. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

LOL - You know you want to...

B0RN likes this.
  10. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Yes! But my wallet says NO! :D:(

Markswift2003 likes this.
  11. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

The only reason I want to stick with LG and WOLED (vs. QD OLED) is because LG just gives you so much control over things that I think other manufacturers do not offer. For example, that tone mapping control is really useful in certain situations! Not sure if Samsung/Sony lets you do that?

12. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

I myself would most likely never mess with that but how does it change your viewing quality across all content?

I do like that you can shut off the TPC algo in service mode to get rid of the dimming in dark scenes... not sure if Sony OLEDs have this issue or not, I know they dont do IQ also. I see myself sticking with LG OLEDs in the future. Samsung is not even in the conversation for me for the lack of Dolby Vision and majority of my content being in that dynamic type HDR.

xskip likes this.
  13. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

So have you figured out the problem? I got all of the above, Z9X, Oppo and Bond and C1. Waiting for the A95L now. WRGB from LG come with a green push from factory, DV Cinema Home also pushes higher blue level than DV Cinema on the white balance. Probably why the red on DV Cinema Home doesn't look as punchy as it would on Cinema. My 70% white in DV Cinema R11 G -7 B4 to get balance RGB.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
    B0RN likes this.
  14. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

This scene? 1 is Oppo 1 is Zidoo looks pretty much the same to me. Can you tell which is which?

Attached Files:

15. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

This is happening because Cinema Home and Cinema are set at different Color Temps, with Cinema being Warm 50 and Cinema Home being like Warm 30 if i recall correctly not sure on the exact one but I know it's set to a cooler color temp, so the it is "cooler" that's why the red isn't as prominent it's more blueish. If you went to Color option and change it to Warm 50 it would be closer to Cinema. Because honestly changing Cinema Home to Warm 50 and doing a white balance adjustment. Cinema Home and Cinema DV look identical to me when viewing in dark environment. Attachment is World War Z Dolby Vision FEL on the Oppo, one is Cinema Home and one is Cinema looks identical.

Attached Files:

16. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

That depends, are they both Cinema Home mode pics? Otherwise Cinema looks identical on both machines for the most part.

17. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Cinema Home doesn't have a warm meter, its set to Warm 2 on my TV as being the accurate setting. And I am not recalling whether Cinema has a meter either on a C9. I am not home to check. But I believe they are both set to Warm 2 and shouldn't cause the color difference. I would chalk that up to the different IQ lighting behavior instead on the cinema home.

And yes, in a complete dark environment the IQ wouldn't come into play as much as it would with some light in the room or a lot but it is odd that they both look identical in your case. I would have thought there would be some slight difference for sure. maybe try a bright scene instead of the dark one in WWZ.

18. Thanh Nguyen

Thanh Nguyen Member

Cinema home and Cinema on Oppo look exactly the same. Not sure why your Oled doesn't have the same Warm Setting (Had a look on Rtings and it seems C9 has the setting different) but C1 G1 onwards have it and yes they affect color because the balance and tracking on each mode is different my panel lacks blue and red and has a green push like with all WRGB from the C1/G1 onward and Cinema Home being Warm 30 which isn't D65 white point every color shifts towards cooler shade. You could also turn off Auto Brightness mode in Cinema home and the IQ wouldn't function to test if you want.

Also from what I can see on the measurements for the C9 on Rtings own panel. Warm 2 only measures 5929K, which is on the warmer side. And also from the RGB balance for Warm 2 on Expert Dark their panel pushes too much red and not enough blue. So unless you've measured your own panel and adjusted Cinema Home and Cinema to the D65 or whichever white point you prefer to match up or very close to matching and balancing the output of RGB on White Output, then you'll always see color differences between mode. No matter what device you playing or TV type LED/OLED/QD-OLED and same with modes because each mode tracks the EOTF differently.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
  19. Zidixx

Zidixx Member

I have a Chinoppo, a PanasonicUB824 and a Z9X. All are connected to a Panasonic HZW2004 Oled TV. The Oppo also takes the best picture (DV-HDR-SDR) for me, it looks richer, sharper, richer in contrast and the smoothness is impressive. The UB824 follows closely behind and also takes a great picture, slightly less sharp than the Oppo. The Zidoo is a very good all-rounder with many adjustment options, but if you place a lot of value on image quality, the other two are better. And important...that's just my opinion.

Edworld and B0RN like this.
  20. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

This pretty much sums up the entire 20 page thread :)