New firmware v1.1.70 for DMP-A6 release

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by mirror, Jun 22, 2023.

1. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Before this i use rasberry pi running LMS and no issues, done a reset and scanning again, I have way too many albums to bother looking into the tags should work as is.

2. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Ok so done a rescan and seemed to be working but a few albums the covers are split in half the correct cover just not displayed correctly. This is strange and is a problem with the scanning.

It seems if you have two albums the same and one is called album name in brackets i name it remastered. Then the cover is split showing the staples down the middle, despite the tag not like that when i check.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
  3. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Looks like the cover is the whole scan, and the A6 shows it centered, either with a width like its height, or padding it on top and bottom, to make it square-ish.
    This is a wrong embedded album art; and the A6 is doing its best to show it

4. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Every album was taged with MP3tag and double checked and is correct also been using a rasberry pi3 for years running LMS and guess what, yes displays perfect.

5. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

This means nothing; if the RPi displays the image without centering everything would look like it is correct... send the file over, and I'll have a look.
    It's too weird you appear to be the only one experiencing the album art not displaying correctly.

6. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

how do i send you a file, will be just a random track that is tagged but displays incorrectly

7. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Exactly. So that I can examine its metadata and picture; and try to figure out why it shows up incorrectly.
    I don't know if you can upload a track here in the forum; if not upload it on one of those file-sharing sites, and post the link here.

8. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

no idea about file sharing not have one, i have the files on my desktop ready

9. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

Dropbox? It has free plan for small files, or join a free trial and cancel.

Or just google Dropbox alternatives. Time to know these things, will help you a lot in the long run.

10. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

11. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

i have several like this and some with no covers despite all tagged correctly

12. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

The only thing I can say is that the image shown by the A6 is not the one in the file. The one shown is either:
    1. retrieved from the internet during library scan (and even an apparently wrong one...)
    2. obtained from the files in a previous library scan _BEFORE_ an _EVENTUAL_ _SUBSEQUENT_ tag / metadata / image fix

It would be interesting to see another file from the NON REMASTERED version of the album... maybe in case of multiple albums with the same title the A6 retrieves the album art from the very first file it scans, thus the image could be wrong in another file, and I suspect it could be in the "other" album, as in this one it is the one I am attaching.
    upload_2023-6-28_1-52-40.jpeg

13. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

1. set to use local images only
    2. was formated before i scanned
    3 the non remastered album is just the same artwork as above
    4. in every music album i have an artwork folder, which is the same for the 4000+ so if was pulling from there all the albums would be incorrect which is not the case just about 10% or so in colllection.
    Thanks for looking but nothing wrong with any tags seem to be scanning maybe the artwork covers folder which should not do especially when the files are all independently tagged.

14. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

So, there appears to be some mess regarding the embedded album-art and the pictures eventually found in the folder (cannot say much here, as I don't know how the algorithm for retrieving the album-art actually works on teh A6...)... maybe some file-name based priority? Such as, for example:
    1. search for album-cover.*
    2. if not found search for folder.*
    3. if not found search embedded picture
    4. if not found try online

I am just thinking out loud, but (as a developer) it makes some sense to me... Do you see any picture like the one the A6 is showing for this album, in the album-art folder you are mentioning? If so (I suspect...) what is its file name? And its file format?

Again, not that this will help us here fix the issue; but the more information we collect, the best we can describe the wrong scenario to the dev crew, and have them fix it...

15. gadgetman

gadgetman Active Member

Yes a picture identical to what is showing
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/f39i3tv8k61lcoa/front.jpg?dl=0

So it seems to be ignoring in some cases the embedded tags then moving on to the front.jpeg in this case stored in an artwork folder.

16. pnjunction

pnjunction Member

Image.flac + Image.cue + front.jpg in album folder works perfect

17. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Well, as I said, I don't know what the algorithm for detecting the album art is, but it looks like IF there is an image named "front.jpg" in the same folder, IT WILL BE USED, regardless of the audio file containing an embedded one.

Now, IF there is a method for choosing the priority: embedded vs file, the device should eventually FIRST search for embedded image, and then, if none is found, search for the files. (or vice-versa).

If you can confirm that also all the other albums with the same problem have a front.jpg file too, AND that you set the search method for the album art to EMBEDDED, we have enough evidence that there is a bug in the A6, and enough data for the dev team to investigate upon.

18. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Spend a lot of time on this in the past:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/how-to-tag-and-structure-music-collection-for-mp.91886/
    New box so doing it all once more.
    The Eversolo/Zidoo preferred file is folder.jpg but front.jpg and cover.jpg should also work but no folder.png won't be acceptable and must be converted to jpg.

As I mentioned before they use the same engine for playing, scraping and Library Database. They just picked up the status Music Player was in.
    So learning from the past helps for sure. :p

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023
  19. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

That's fine, BUT what about the embedded album art? Is it being searched for ONLY if no image is found in the folder? Isn't there a way to specify what to be searched for first?
    I mean, in moOde you can select the album-art priority:
    - "Folder image" (expect an image file in the folder; if not found attempt to extract from the audio file, if not found => default "no art" picture)
    - "Embedded" (expect embedded pic, if not found search for images in the folder, if none found => default "no art" picture)

20. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

It was asked for but never was implemented as far as I am aware.
    Eversolo/Zidoo tends to put player option within the Database Library only.

It may hence result different if you play an album using method:
    1. - Album is not scanned and played using "File Explorer" directly
    2. - (Main) directory was scanned first; next using "File Explorer" to play
    3. - Playing via selection within the Library Database itself
    Frankly gave up here as I did not get a real interaction with the developers.
    If you report a problem please tell always which method was used to select/play the album.
    Zidoo always assumed I was following method number-3 but my prefererd and only good working method is number-1 for above all collection albums.

Will be nice to see what way it now goes?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2023