Status of HDR10+ in MKV passthrough

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Gelto, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Gelto

Gelto Member

I can't seem to get HDR10+ (not HDR10) passthrough working on a Z9X. My TV (Philips PUS7304) is reporting only HDR10 from an HDR10+ MKV file (Testfile from kodi here). HDR mode is set to Auto (no change with forcing HDR10 for everything).

I I play the file directly on the TV (via internal player or VLC), it's recognized correctly as HDR10+.

Can anyone confirm this? Does the Zidoo pass HDR10+ in an MKV file through correctly to the TV?

2. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Zidoo can do HDR10+ just fine.
    Is the Zidoo connected directly to the TV?

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Are you playing through an amp or is the Zidoo directly connected to the TV?

4. Gelto

Gelto Member

Ah thanks, you were both on the right track, I played as usual through my Yamaha AVR, since everything else is working using that path and I need it for HD sound of course.

Now I temporarily tried a direct connection to the TV and HDR10+ is recognized correctly!

Can this be remedied by a custom EDID? (I uploaded my EDID file here before)

5. Markswift2003

Probably not - the Yamaha is obviously telling the Zidoo via EDID that it doesn't do HDR10+ and even if you force it with an EDID, it probably won't pass due to the HDMI version.

It's worth a try though - as a test try the included Samsung Custom EDID.

If it works I can adjust your "real" Yamaha + TV EDID to enable HDR10+.

6. Markswift2003

Oops - didn't read that you'd asked the same question :D

7. Sledgehamma

As usual ;)
    But understandable, internet explorer on Windows 95 takes longer to load the website :D

Markswift2003 likes this.
  8. Markswift2003

9. Markswift2003

It does struggle a bit it must be said..

upload_2021-12-3_17-12-48.png

rozel, Gelto and Sledgehamma like this.
  10. Gelto

Gelto Member

You're completely right here, my AVR isn't HDR10+ capable, the Samsung EDID didn't help. I should have read the first few pages of the custom EDID thread, it's all explained there :rolleyes:

In any case, thanks for your quick answers, guys!

11. Sledgehamma

What Yamaha AVR do you have? It seems that RX-V4A and RX-V6A will get support via a future software update.

12. Gelto

Gelto Member

It's an RX-V585...no update in sight here ;)

13. thaworn R

thaworn R Member

I get HDR10+ on my Sony TV using Custom EDID pass-through Yamaha AVR. Is it real HDR10+?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  14. Gelto

Gelto Member

Which AVR model is it exactly? - If your TV reports HDR10+, it should be real. If only the Zidoo reports HDR10+, it just means that the Zidoo is processing HDR10+.

15. thaworn R

thaworn R Member

Sony TV does not support HDR10+, just the Zidoo info says that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  16. Markswift2003

It will pass through the amp as HDR10+ and the amp will report HDR10+ but the Sony will display in HDR10 only.

thaworn R likes this.
  17. thaworn R

thaworn R Member

Thank you so much for explaining in detail.

18. ulna68

ulna68 Active Member

19. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

How do you do that? I have a SONY 9500H and a Yamaha A1070 av

20. thaworn R

thaworn R Member

Marks modified the original EDID for me, look like the Vendor Specific Video Data Blocks changed as picture below.

Attached Files: