OUTPUT MODE Zidoo UHD 3000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by MORT BERNS, Oct 11, 2021.

1. MORT BERNS

MORT BERNS New Member

I have Zidoo UHD 3000 installed in Room A and it works perfectly in HDMI mode.
    I am able to access it in Room B via a InfraRed powered server modulator. Video and all apps work but Audio does not.
    I would like to be able to have the option to select A/V Output for Room B because I believe that might solve the problem.
    Is that possible ... or is there another available solution?
    I've not been able to find any solution on my own.
    Thank you in advance for any help.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

How have you connected the server to the Zidoo?

MORT BERNS likes this.
  3. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Using the APP via WiFi it should work. A BT remote should work too (standard with UHD3000).
    Mapped myself the Output mode selection to a colored button.

MORT BERNS likes this.
  4. MORT BERNS

MORT BERNS New Member

The Zidoo itself is not directly connected to the server. What is in place in room A is an IR remote sender placed onto front panel of Zidoo (where Zidoo remote "attacks") and in room B there is a remote receiver that receives signal from Zidoo when Zidoo remote "attacks" it. It works for my old DuneHDMax, but when Dune starts in room B, one has to change MODE from HDMI to PAL setting. When one is finished watching Dune, MODE must be rechanged to HDMI to work in Room A.

5. MORT BERNS

MORT BERNS New Member

The Zidoo itself is not directly connected to the server. What is in place in room A is an IR remote sender placed onto front panel of Zidoo (where Zidoo remote "attacks") and in room B there is a remote receiver that receives signal from Zidoo when Zidoo remote "attacks" it. It works for my old DuneHDMax, but when Dune starts in room B, one has to change MODE from HDMI to PAL setting. When one is finished watching Dune, MODE must be rechanged to HDMI to work in Room A.

6. Markswift2003

Ok, so how is the Zidoo physically connected to room B?

We could do with a diagram of how you've connected the Zidoo (video/audio) to Room A and to Room B.

7. muha

muha Active Member

I am guessing a very long rca cable?

8. MORT BERNS

MORT BERNS New Member

Please see the accompanying .pdf document ... OUTPUT MODE Zidoo UHD 3000.pdf

Attached Files:

9. Markswift2003

Brilliant - very comprehensive!

And you're in luck - I used to own one of the largest installation companies in the UK and we used to fit distribution systems like this back before digital TV hit in 1999.

So let me digest that and I'll come back to you later today - My first thought is I think it's just a case of buying (or making - it's very easy!) a balanced (XLR) to unbalanced (Line) converter...

We never used Starserve, we used to build our own systems, but it looks like they're still going - bought by Schneider Electric and marketed under Clipsal.

muha likes this.
  10. Markswift2003

Quick question - do you have a picture of the back of the UHD3000 showing all connections.

11. Markswift2003

Actually I just checked - I don't have a UHD3000 here so I don't know the audio config screen, but it does have unbalanced line outputs above the XLRs.

@Nice Monkey , is it possible to output audio from HDMI and line out from the RCA jacks via the DAC simultaneously?

I assume from what Mort says that baseband video is output from the composite output alongside HDMI by default?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  12. Nice Monkey

No.

13. Markswift2003

Ah. There's the problem - thanks for confirming that.

Out of curiosity, how do you go about using it as a music player with the internal DAC feeding a stereo setup and also a media player through HDMI feeding a multi channel setup? I thought that was the whole point of these high end players?

14. Nice Monkey

See the related section from my UHD3000 review. The same AMP is connected both via HDMI plus RCA.

Practical playback using MP6 or other music player APP's
    Using FW v6.1.05 DAC Analog and HDMI Digital output modes can be changed not only via Quick Setup but also be toggled using Zidoo Navigator and/or mapping the HDMI/DAC toggle to one of the colored keys on the remote control. This works quick and easy in practice.

The switch is 3 way: HDMI Output, Internal Source DAC Output and External USB Source DAC output. Assigned it to a colored button on the remote for ease of operation myself. Used the included Colored Key Mapping APP for that. No need to go to setup then anymore.
    Using that assigned key then will pop-up a message showing the 3 position switch is in. Also the Icon on the Font display will show DAC for output (when internal or external USB DAC is selected).

To change between Multi Channel Home Theater mode and 2CH Stereo DAC mode one just needs to switch source on the AMP and Toggle the output mode for UHD3000 concurrently. The Zidoo FW is smart enough to switch HDMI output mode from RAW to 2CH when going for DAC output and switch it back again to RAW when going for HDMI once more. This way all MCH audio sources are always being downmixed when using DAC analog regardless if the source is Video or Music.

UHD disc players with an audio panel included typically drive both in parallel.

muha likes this.
  15. Markswift2003

Right gotcha - although unfortunately this won't help with this problem because the Zidoo is unable to decode lossless codecs (DTS-HD, TrueHD, TrueHD Atmos and DTS-X) to 2-channel LPCM.

Or does the 3000 downmix those too (the Z9X doesn't)?

If that's the case then your solution will work perfectly...

16. Nice Monkey

Obviously it down mixes as needed. Using the DAC with movies is no problem if one is happy with 2 Channels output.
    Do this for old anyway 2 CH sound movies.

muha likes this.
  17. Markswift2003

Ah - just re-read your post earlier where you say the FW is smart enough to switch between downmix and Raw when switching modes... :)

muha likes this.
  18. Markswift2003

Right, here we go, with many thanks to @Nice Monkey for confirming how to switch between multi channel and down-mix.

So connect the 3000 with HDMI to the equipment in Room A

Connect the RCA Composite Video output and RCA Stereo Audio outputs from the 3000 to the Starserve modulator.

When using the 3000 in Room B, map one of the coloured buttons on the Zidoo remote to toggle DAC mode from HDMI to Internal DAC. (either just press a coloured button to do this if it's the first button you've assigned, or use "Shorcut Keys" in Apps)

You will still be able to use the 3000 in Room A, but you must toggle the DAC setting back to HDMI otherwise you'll only get stereo sound in room A also. When you toggle back to HDMI you lose sound in Room B.

I think :confused:

MORT BERNS and muha like this.
  19. MORT BERNS

MORT BERNS New Member

Sounds workable. I will have to wait until the "sparkie" (electrician) has some free time to help me with it because the module is a "bugger" to program. I gather, from what you say, that mapping the coloured buttons is pretty straightforward. It's been way above my "pay grade" to attempt such a maneuver. I'm very "old school" (age = 83).
    I'll give you a shout when sparkie & I can give it a try. It might be awhile, so don't hold your breath! :)

muha likes this.
  20. Markswift2003

Any time at all! - I started my career as a self employed sparkie - you've got 30 years on me, but it was still quite a while ago ;)

Mapping the colour buttons is dead easy - give it a go... In the words of the wise - "How hard can it be?"

muha likes this.