Problem with UHD iso when using SMB connection using SMB but not via USB/SATA

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Thorbjörn Holmberg, May 18, 2021.

1. I have problem playing UHD iso from my Zidoo Z9x. For example the .iso of Days of Thunder is stuttering so bad that I can not even look at it. When playing the same .iso thru my Oppo 205 it is smooth as butter.

I have the latest stable release and use SMB thru my Qnap (I do the same with the Oppo). What can be the problem?

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

First try to play it via SATA/USB. All my ISO's (and I don't use anything else) play smooth like butter on room temperature. ;)

The Zidoo seems to be picky on SMB/LAN setup as some complain about it and others have no problems at all with it. Do the reverse myself and use my UHD3000 as my SMB Server.

3. Yes, but 40TB of UHD/HD ISO is hard to connect via USB. I need to have the SMB working as I can not have my server next to my player. I can check the movie on a USB but it is not a solution for me...

4. Nice Monkey

It will help you diagnosing the root cause with just one problematic movie. If you know it is SMB/LAN you can try to find the cause.

Is it really essential to have 40 TByte online via NAS? Plug & Play 2x HDD UHD3000 plus a 5-slot USB 3.5 inch HDD docking station (mainly for OPPO) using multiple big HDD's works very nice for me. Connecting 40TByte is really peanuts with a simple USB Docking Station setup (1, 2, 4, 5, 8 or even 10 slots). Mine has individual power buttons per slot and comes with USB3.1c)

NAS is essential for an office but for home use a big overkill in my (modest) experience. Very inflexible + very expense (on HDD's and Power) and even more error prone despite having RAID. My HDD's hardly ever fail as I do swap them individually for bigger ones before becoming used a lot (=static storage mainly).

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

When you say stuttering, do you mean the movie itself? and if so have you tried "Play Video" instead of " Play with Blu-Ray Menu"?

6. I have tried both and it is impossible to watch. No sound and 3-4 sec stutters

7. Markswift2003

So you need to do what @Nice Monkey says and try USB to see if it's your network or the file.

8. Yes, working on transfering the movie to USB right now. But this is not that single movie, it is all my UHD .iso so if I need to have them on a disk then I have no use for the zidoo. I can play .mkv that is high rate 75mb+ without any problem. It is just .iso

9. Markswift2003

Not sure what's going on there then - I have no problems with any ISO, UHD or otherwise from SMB shares on a NAS drive. Let's see what happens from USB...

10. Lala77

Lala77 New Member

I have the same problem. Same file, copied to usb HDD without errors. NAS via SMB, image stutters, no sound. It's as if it's having buffering problems.

11. OlivierQC

OlivierQC Well-Known Member

It's the same for me, I never had a problem with SMB.

12. Markswift2003

No sound is a clue that there's a file incompatibility.

13. OK, USB test done. Movie plays perfectly via USB. Actually tried 4 different .iso that does not play over SMB. All plays perfectly via USB. Bandwith OK as I can play .mkv with above 75 Mb/s. I agree with Lala77 that it seems like a buffering problem.

14. OK, USB test done. Movie plays perfectly via USB. Actually tried 4 different .iso that does not play over SMB. All plays perfectly via USB. Bandwith OK as I can play .mkv with above 75 Mb/s.

15. Nice Monkey

Already suspected this to be the case. So we are back to the mysterious SMB performance problem which for sure some have and others don't have with the same files. It is a nasty one needing an urgent fix.
    It is item #14 on my aggregated list.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...problems-fw-v6-3-2-no-feature-requests.84836/
    @Thorbjörn Holmberg Please change the title to: "Problem playing UHD ISO using SMB but not via USB/SATA".
    Updated my entry with this info too as it seems a good way to reproduce it.

Can somebody do the laborious job reverting to FW 6.0.45 which is claimed by some to be still free of this issue? Also older generation Zidoo players seem to work correctly when swapped.
    You need to do an emergency recovery first and next upgrade to that FW again. That should help Zidoo a lot if confirmed.

Also indicate which NAS you are using: Brand, Model and SW/FW version please.
    Also important is to know which SMB version is active. I don't know a simple way to reveal that myself. I presume the LAN is error free and running at Gigabit (a simple ping will tell that).
    Never saw this reported using W10 configured as a SMB server (using defaults with SMBv1 disabled). This could be tried as a temporary bypass too.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  16. Markswift2003

Unfortunately since these are isolated incidents, it has to be inconsistency on the LAN side and without knowing exactly the configuration it's impossible to replicate - certainly the devs aren't seeing this otherwise it would have been addressed since network playback is the crux of this device.

The odd thing here is ISO playback only is affected and MKV is fine - as far as I know, nobody else has reported this - in other cases it's been SMB playback across the board so the usual suspects such as IP conflicts, frame size etc can't really apply.

17. Nice Monkey

There are too many reports on this to be ignored. I feel this is the first time some can really reproduce conditions for it to happen or not happen. Also the fact that other players (apparently including previous generation Zidoo) work flawless under the same condition is very peculiar. In fact marked it as hot-item on my list now.

Seen it typically happens with ISO's it could be a memory allocation problem competing with resources from SMB buffering?

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  18. Markswift2003

I don't think so otherwise I'd expect it to affect all users - seems to me it must be some network configuration that the box doesn't like, but in order to nail it, the engineers need to replicate it and to do that we need to know what's different about these users' LANs to the ones that work fine.

19. I can install the old version but need to know before if that wipes my box and I need to start build my catalog back up again because that is something I do not want to do. It has been a massive task to get everything right (2700 movies and 78 tv-shows)

20. Nice Monkey

Mark can help you with that as indeed it will wipe everything and a HT backup should be made first.

Please change the title as only you can do that. That will attract and direct others with the same SMB problems to this topic. The more detailed info the sooner it can be fixed.