DMP-A8: Feature Requests

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by ammar11, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

You may be right, but considering WHAT the ME was in respect to the A6, there is not much in terms of audio improvement.
    These you mention are enhancements, more likely to pertain an A10 model...

Barry1969 and Miki222 like this.
  2. Miki222

Miki222 Member

That's right, let's be surprised.

3. Barry1969

Barry1969 New Member

I would like to try the DSP with a room measurement, something like Dirac.
    But I have not so good experience with older systems, they deteriorate the sound. So I always ended up with not using dsp.
    But it seems like Dirac and the newer technology has improved quite a bit, and the A-8 ihas a capable dap.
    So could it come with a room measuring software and ease of use? Maybe a good microphone as an accessory?

4. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

In my experience DSP room correction is only part of the solution. Firstly you need to try to optimise your room acoustics first and foremost. This can be done with acoustic room treatments and experimenting with the positions of both your speakers and your listening position. I fully appreciate this approach could pose some issues as most people don't have a dedicated listening room and there are many other considerations like aesthetics, shared purpose room, PAF (partner approval factor), room size et al to take into consideration.

Whilst DSP room correction can help, most systems don't incorporate a true parametric equalizer with sufficient frequency bands and/or flexible Q adjustments to be really effective especially in an acoustically "difficult" room. In addition to be truly effective the acoustics of the room has to be accurately analysed and then "corrected" appropriately. In some cases by a combination of DSP correction and acoustic treatments like panels to reduce room reflections and bass traps. It's not an easy task and requires time, knowledge of what you are doing and patience to achieve a good result.

5. Barry1969

Barry1969 New Member

Yes I agree fully with your view on DSP as a last resort. And I have a pretty good listening room, speakers (dynaudio confidence 30) power amp (purify), but I believe or think to hear the bass is a little bloated sometimes. Maybe in the 120 hz region. Standing waves are unavoidable. Also the right channel is a little bit muffled because of furniture standing in the room. Less wall bounce on that side.
    Speakers are standing freely in the room, 2-3 feet from walls.

so that is why I would like to experiment if these minor issues can be solved with room correction.
    But only if the sound will not deteriorate in any way because of the longer signal paths or more noise or distortion.

and I can still hear very small differences in sound, fortunately. MP3 320 vs flac lossless I can easily detect.

so I hope the dmp a-8 will deliver a really fine airy soundstage, even with the DSP active.

When I had the A-6 master edition I still used mij topping d90se dac because it sounded just a little better for my ears. Despite of the so called transparent device the A6 is supposed to be, Keith ;-)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2023
    Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  6. benma

benma Member

Option to increase the output gain (xlr, rca).

Miki222 likes this.
  7. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

The almost universally accepted standards of about 4 and 2 Volts respectively don't suit you?
    Bear in mind that changing the output gain is almost the same as having a pre-amp with less attenuation... you usually do not listen at full-scale output, do you?

8. benma

benma Member

I'm using the A8 also as a preamp. My previous combined device had the output level of 5.5V. Lumin D3 generates even 6V. For normal listening level I have to have the A8 volume level set on -30dB (xlr) and at -20 over the rca (connected to my headphones amp where I had to incrase gain to +12db). Listening of DSD files requires even more volume. So, I'm coming close to the maximum level. In my previous device I have the option of increasing the output level.

9. Milky

Milky Active Member

Yeah, the a6me is not transparent. Not sure why people were saying it is.

10. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

No DAC or AMP is truly transparant. If that would be the case the ultimate versions of all brands reaching this would all sound 100 procent identical.
    They all have some uniqueness and sound somewhat different resulting in personal preferences. Nothing wrong with that.

Room correction is a difficult subject with complex DSP filters for many small band channels. Constant progress is being made in this area now also coming to the home market. If Eversolo DMP-A8 ever will play a role here? It would require a partnership with a company offering this feature for the DSP integrated.

11. Milky

Milky Active Member

Just do a convolution filter with the dsp. Nothing very difficult. You don't need dirac or anything.

12. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

Does the A8 have HT bypass? This is to connect and AVR receiver to the RCA IN of the A8, and from here to power amp, without any processing or volume control

13. eieio

eieio New Member

May I ask what are the chances of having Apple Music Classical included / pre-loaded on the A8 please?

i received conflicting guidance from tech support: the person who replied to my email told me that Apple Music Classical is UNsupported by the A6/A8! i.e. cannot be used with the A6/A8, while a user by the name of "mirror" on audio science review, who appears to be ALSO tech support from Eversolo/Zidoo, said specifically that it CAN be used, and in fact, posted the api on audio science review.

which tech support person's information is correct then?

when might Eversolo ADD Apple Music Classical to their A6/A8's out of the box main screen then?

14. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Even if they do not include it (shall they include every single app every user requires... there won't be enough space), you will be able to install it on your own, the same way Mirror has most probably explained on ASR.

15. eieio

eieio New Member

@Nutul
    I didn't say to add every single streaming app! not at all.

it's not as if Apple Music Classical is an unheard of, out of the blue small time app! it is part of Apple Music (due to their acquisition of Primephonic) so it's not a wild request to add this app.

is it really possible that i'm the ONLY one here who listens to classical music?

normally, i use Tidal due to their higher bitrate streaming. however, in an attempt to try to see what Atmos tracks are all about on BOTH Tidal and Apple Music/Apple Music Classical, i'm going to subscribe to Apple Music and use (temporarily) Apple TV 4K (ethernet model) to see how their 24/48kHz sounds. it is certainly not going to be 192, but it is possible that 48 doesn't sound so bad after all? maybe?

i'll know soon because i'm installing my Apple TV 4K tomorrow.

16. eieio

eieio New Member

where would we find a list of USA authorized dealers please for the A8?
    i went on Eversolo's site and they don't have a page for authorized dealers.
    thank you in advance.

17. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Nobody says it's a useless and niche app. The point is that I would like another app to be installed by default; and like me, hundreds out there. Then again, you can install it yourself.
    P.S.
    I listen to a lot of classical music. Not on any streaming service though; only on CD. Well, on CD-rips, because a) I am sure about the quality, and b) because they are there even if there is an internet outage just when I'd like to listen to some music.

18. Alan Rutlidge

I think you might have misinterpreted @Nutul Both the DMP-A6 and A8 have limited internal memory for the storage of programs and user data. Therefore, just like most smartphones it comes pre-loaded with some popular applications whilst others haven't been included by default. The beauty of Android OS is in most cases you can easily add the required app (apk) albeit installation isn't as straight forward as it would be downloaded from Google Play store. Never the less it can be done. I recall installing Amazon Music on my A6 long before it became part of the standard firmware and it worked perfectly by following some simple instructions in the A6 subforum. Let us know how you went installing Apple Music Classical.

Nutul likes this.
  19. eieio

eieio New Member

@Alan Rutlidge
    thank you kindly for your clarification.

btw, a friend of mine thinks (he's guessing) that Apple Music Classical is merely a "catalog and search". as such, it might not even need to be ON the A6/8 if one doesn't intend to use the front panel as a music selection interface!

for example, my components are all in a media closet. i will ONLY use an Android phone or tablet, if permissible by Apple, or if required, i'll have to buy an iPad, as my Apple Music/Apple Music Classical interface. so, my friend is speculating that it is NOT needed to side load Apple Music Classical onto the A6/8 at all IF one doesn't intend on using the front panel as the music selection interface. as long as Apple Music (regular, non-classical) is already installed, it should be fine - so he is guessing.

may i ask what the good folks on here thinks please? thank you all in advance.

20. Alan Rutlidge

@eieio I wish I could be of more assistance but I'm not really much of an Apple product user. The only Apple product I have is a 13 year old 160GB iPod Classic I use in the car as it interfaces with the car's integrated multimedia communications system nicely. Perhaps some Apple aficionados can chime in here and provide some advice.