Pls Help Test Z9X with Oppo 203

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by B0RN, Apr 17, 2023.

1. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Except on the Shield lol.

Reset_9999 likes this.
  2. Reset_9999

Reset_9999 Member

static DV is basically the same as HDR10.
    MDL mismatch doesnt really matter but if the PQ images and pixels measurement are different, then it's totally inaccurate and a lot worse than HDR10.

I wouldn't say that. The red push issue is only very visible and distracting in some particular conditions.
    For the DV performance (rpu processing, excluding fel), I would say it's pretty good and better than the x700/x800m2.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2023
  3. Jimbo Randy

What about shield vs. zidoo?

4. Reset_9999

Reset_9999 Member

Well, I don't know much about the Zidoo RPU response but Shield has the cmv4.0 engine and does true TV-LED so the shield is most likely better as well.

Anyway, you have tons of rpu/color test files in my google drive folder. Feel free to test and compare the rpu response.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/folders/1yAq-jgsb8pYa92PnGZkxyEV0E3VVkhiC

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  5. Sledgehamma

Sledgehamma Well-Known Member

Got this from Stacey, which might be interesting:
    Cinema Home (starting with C9) converts DV 2.9 into 4.0 for the ambient light feature and the way we show the error does not work under DV 4.0. They changed the algorithm for that feature in 4.0 so it does not have the same behavior. We will show the press how to find and interpret the results and then I am sure it will leak from there.

Source:
    https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=20759599&postcount=1045

DV really is an absolute and utter mess….

6. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Well one thing is clear... that I am not smart enough to decipher his comments regarding the 2.9 and 4.0 and what it means for the C9 lol Basically, so far its a crapshoot?

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  7. Jimbo Randy

Yea I don't understand any of this lol. That would explain the cinema home thing I guess but not differences in normal cinema.

8. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

For the sake for completeness, my first post question was resolved.

It is basically the IQ technology in the LG that causes the 007 scene to be brighter, more vibrant and in fact taking the room lighting into consideration when in the Cinema HOME mode. I can actually see a bump in the tv brightness when changing the chapter because it is dramatically brighter than other parts/scenes of the movie. When the movie is playing normally, that scene has no brightness shifts of course because it has already adjusted for it in advance. Also, the same scene does not have this behaviour and is dimmer/similar to Z9X when in Cinema mode.

Now, for me personally this wouldn't matter much since I like accuracy (and will start using Cinema for good) but it does makes one wonder why the Oppo takes the IQ feature in consideration and adjusts the brightness like that but Z9X never does in Cinema HOME mode.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  9. Jimbo Randy

Yea man I'm really not sure. The other two testers are saying they still see a difference with normal cinema mode. I'm not sure we'll ever really get an answer to this unfortunately. I'm out of ideas.

10. Sami Sosa

Sami Sosa New Member

As an LG C9 owner who has the Oppo 203 and just bought a Z9X Pro player, I jump into this thread and ate it all up, piece by piece and got very useful information. Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.

I'm also using the Cinema Home setting for as long as I remember. Not sure why, but it probably impressed me the most when I calibrated the TV in 2020 and I kept the setting until today.

I also have a full 1:1 4k rip of No Time To Die and I've compared the Oppo vs Z9x Pro. The Oppo seems to add a bit more brightness to the picture. Like 10% more.
    As for the Z9X pro - I find it hard to engage with the Blu-ray menus. On most rips, the player gets stuck on the 1st second of playback and I need to do a hard reset. Not sure really what the problem is.

Anyway, I'm going to stick with my Oppo if I want BD menus.
    It's amazing how the Oppo is still a king of streaming after all these years.
    It eats up everything you throw at it with great ease. (Yes yes, except DV MKV files).

I bought the Z9X pro just because of the FOMO that I had that I'm missing out on DV MKVs (Vs HDR10), but I'm now I'm not so sure that it was worth the hassle/money.

B0RN likes this.
  11. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Well with Reset's help and tools I may soon ditch the Z9X all together and go 100% Oppo. As now, you can create TS files with DV and Lossless audio and subs, only thing missing is the chapters which the GOTO setting on the Oppo is coming in very handy as are the left and right buttons to jump the timelines forward and backward.

Thought I'd never say this, but my Z9X is starting to collect dust.

Edworld and Sami Sosa like this.
  12. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

To add my 2 cents on the picture mode, I am now sticking 100% to Cinema mode and constantly thinking to myself, "Oh so that's why this particular scene looks so washed out before, cuz it was Cinema Home and is now much more inkier/dynamic." That goes for about 90% of the content and I am not missing Home mode much except every time I put on No Time To Die :p the movie feels rather dull without it.

Jimbo Randy and Sami Sosa like this.
  13. Jimbo Randy

I only have the Zidoo and Shield, so the Zidoo wins out for me.

@Sami Sosa , if you use the normal DV "cinema" mode (NOT Cinema Home), do you notice a brightness difference? Just curious.

14. Sami Sosa

Sami Sosa New Member

I'll check it tonight. Question - if I'm switching to DV Cinema permanently, should I not calibrate the tv again? I have the new S&M 4K cal discs.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  15. Sami Sosa

Sami Sosa New Member

It would be interesting to see if my conclusions will be the same as yours.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  16. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

Yeah I am also curious if you notice any difference between the Oppo and Z9X after you have gotten used to the Cinema mode.

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  17. Jimbo Randy

Btw just in case anyone didn't realize, on our LG oleds, you can choose the tone curve that you want the TV to use for movies. You hover over the picture mode and press 1113111 on the remote. This brings up the HDMI Signaling Override menu. Then you set "mastering peak" and "maxcll" to your desired target. I tested it out on the moon blu ray. Just be aware that it takes about 5 or so seconds to have an effect, and it may be more subtle than you were expecting. Make sure you test it during a scene that has very bright highlights.

18. Sami Sosa

Sami Sosa New Member

Ok. So I've tested Cinema Home vs Cinema on the Oppo and Z9X Pro.
    On the Z9X Pro, the image looks 10% brighter on Cinemna Home vs Cinema. On the Oppo, it's more like 20% between the two.

On the one hand, I see why using the Cinema Home mode can be a bit worst for color accuracy. On the other hand, the Cinema mode really darkens the picture. Not sure that I'm ready to give up on it.

B0RN likes this.
  19. Sami Sosa

Sami Sosa New Member

Thanks, I'll look into it. The question is how will I know what's my "desired target"

20. B0RN

B0RN Active Member

You just described what I went through and trust me after 2-3 weeks of change now, I still have withdrawals BUT that's because that 10% of the material is just not graded correctly and is super dull and dim to begin with. When you watch the correctly graded/well done DV, you really appreciated the inky blacks and correct colors and amazing specular highlights. But yeah dont try to go cold turkey hehe watch some well regarded movies with great PQ in Cinema and you will get hooked on it.

PS, Make sure when testing the two devices for Cinema Home, either do the comparison at the same time with same amount of light in the room or in a pitch black room and see what the brightness difference is. Because Cinema Home has the IQ technology which changes the brightness of the tv depending on how much light is in your room.