Defect with Z8 at high frequencies (705.6/768kHz PCM, DSD128/256)

Discussion in 'Eversolo DAC-Z6 / DAC-Z8' started by 0rangutan, Mar 8, 2023.

1. 0rangutan

0rangutan New Member

@mirror - I have identified a possible defect affecting my Z8.

If the Z8 receives a PCM signal at 705.6kHz (16 x oversampling a 44.1kHz signal in Roon) or re-sampled to 768kHz after a short while (just a few minutes) there is a clearly audible white noise in the background on one or both channels (more commonly the left). I get the same if resampled to DSD128 or 256.
    If I pause the music, close Roon or disconnect the USB cable the noise continues so it is definitely the Z8 creating this noise rather than my source. If I change the volume on the dial, the volume of the white noise does not change.
    The noise will only stop when I restart the Z8, after which it will play as normal before returning again after a further few minutes.

I do not experience this issue resampling to 352.8/384kHz or below, or DSD64.

Can anyone else recreate this issue with their Z8? It would be good to know whether this is a systematic defect or a problem with mine in particular.

2. 0rangutan

0rangutan New Member

@mirror - After further testing today, I can confirm that the problem also affects playback of regular DSD64, DSD128 or 256, not just upsampled content.

@rozel - Any chance you could see whether you can recreate this in your setup? Trying to work out whether I need to return mine :(

3. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Hi - I don't use Roon otherwise I'm not affected by this noise you describe.

4. 0rangutan

0rangutan New Member

Thanks. Are you able to play back high bandwidth DSD files through another app? There are example DSD files here: https://samplerateconverter.com/free-audio-downloads
    You just need to play back for a few minutes then pause and see whether you are hearing white noise from your speakers.

5. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@0rangutan - I playback all DSD resolution files from 512 to 64 as well as PCM files of all sample rates & resolutions. I structure my hi-res folders by these sample rates & resolutions. As well as Music Player Pro, appx 15% of the time, I use UAPP (USB Audio Player Proa) the remaining 85%. I do not suffer any white noise. I use 2 DACs, a Monolith Headphone amp as well as the Z8, with no issues at all. But I never resample - perhaps this may be the source of your issues

6. 0rangutan

0rangutan New Member

Thanks @rozel!
    I wondered about the re-sampling too, but see the problem while playing back regular DSD files too.
    And even if it were the re-sampling, it shouldn't really send the Z8 into a problem state like this.
    Will hold out for a response from @mirror a little longer but fear that I'll be returning my Z8 for a replacement.

7. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Will release a new firmware later.

8. 0rangutan

0rangutan New Member

Approximately when please?

9. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

ASR User, 0rangutan and rozel like this.
  10. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Nice one - thank you!

11. 0rangutan

0rangutan New Member

@mirror - Unfortunately I am still experiencing the issue in Post 1. This has not been resolved by the firmware update. Please can you advise whether you are able to reproduce and resolve this issue or whether I should return my Z8? Thanks

12. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@mirror The downloaded file isn't working to upgrade the firmware to my Z8. I've tried downloading twice, used two formatted FAT 32 USB sticks with just the .PKG file on them but the unit says there's no file to be found. Not had problems updating previously.

13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@mirror - I tried a third USB stick cleanly formatted FAT32 and again the message came up "no update file found".

14. 0rangutan

0rangutan New Member

How odd. No issues here.
    Have you tried re-downloading the file?
    And a hard power reset of the Z8?

15. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding - I had a feeling you had no difficulties. Tried at least 4 times to download (after deleting the previous downloaded one to prevent renaming) but no, I haven't tried a hard power reset. By that do you mean turning the switch on the back to "off" and then back "on" after say 30 seconds, if so I have done that. But haven't unplugged the Z8 and plugged it back in after a period. Do you think the latter would help?

16. 0rangutan

0rangutan New Member

Probably won't be any different to turning the rear switch off, but quick to try so worth a go!
    A few other thoughts: Can you factory reset and try again? Can you try reinstalling the previous update - does that work?

17. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Good
    Good suggestions, thanks - will give them a try - in meantime how does the view 4 of VU Meters look now - better?

18. 0rangutan

0rangutan New Member

Clearer I think!
    20230313_135516.jpg

19. 0rangutan

0rangutan New Member

20. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Try a smaller USB stick - I remember trying a 16GB one when I first got the Z8 and had the same problem. Loaded the file onto a 2GB stick and no problem. Formatted as FAT32 obviously :)