Defect with Z8 at high frequencies (705.6/768kHz PCM, DSD128/256)

Discussion in 'Eversolo DAC-Z6 / DAC-Z8' started by 0rangutan, Mar 8, 2023.

1. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thanks @Markswift2003 - I'll try. I have this issue trying to update my older Egreat A11 too. What gives here?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Oversight somewhere no doubt..

3. ASR User

ASR User New Member

Is the Firmware Version linked in post #9, released for public use ?

4. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Not yet - see here: - https://www.eversolo.com/Support/downloadList/target/PfjRkwqbV7FKKmVViAFMcQ==.html

I'm guessing there's an issue with the one @mirror released on here given I'm still having issues uploading it to my Z8, having not experienced problems prviously. Maybe this could explain why it's not been uploaded to the Eversolo website for Official downloading by owners generally?

ASR User likes this.
  5. ASR User

ASR User New Member

‘Funny I was able to download it and install without problems. I did notice that the EverSolo device is picky about firmware versions being installed in order. I tried to skip to the latest update and it wouldn’t take. So I had to do each version in order. Maybe that’s the problem? Just guessing here so don’t shoot me if I’m wrong.

6. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

@ASR User - interesting but I've not skipped any firmware to the best of my memory. Current version is v1.00.47

7. ASR User

ASR User New Member

‘Well when you download the files they have the same file name. Making it difficult to keep track of and very likely that you might possibly be trying to update the unit with an old or current Firmware pkg. Try clearing the thumb drive and redownloading a fresh copy. I ran into this problem myself. They need to add some type of numeric value to the file name so we can easily identify what version of firmware is inside the pkg file.

Frustrating I’m sure. Best of luck that you figure this out @rozel .

rozel likes this.
  8. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I was aware of this lack of a renumbering firmware file issue and have been using the correct one - have deleted and redownloaded @mirror 's file at least 4 times now to be sure.

Thanks for your interest, I shall try again with a small USB stick as soon as I can

ASR User likes this.
  9. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Well success! I tried a 1GB stick - absolutely no issues! Thanks.

But I have a bigger problem now - I seem to have an HDMI issue preventing me seeing my Zidoo's output on my TV screen! Getting vertical blue & black bars instead - usually something along the HDMI chain is wrong but after 1/2 hour I haven't found it - have rebooted the Zidoo and the Vertex2 and checked all HDMI cables are inserted fully but still not sorted :(:(:( Nothing to do with the update btw.

Tomorrow is another day as they say

10. Markswift2003

Oh that sounds nasty! Process of elimination is the key there...

11. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

I'm still struggling - there's an HDMI conflict somewhere. The Blue & Black vertical bars (for me at least) has always been due to something requiring rebooting and I'm guessing it's something to do with how my AVR or maybe new TV are handling things. But before looking at that, can I ask you a question please?

When I "Reboot" the Vertex2, I've always pulled the power lead from it for a few seconds before plugging it back in. I notice there's a "Reboot" option when I log into it via its I.P. Adress. Is there a difference? I'm afraid to mess in case I upset some of its settings.

Your help, as always, would be gratefully received :) Thanks

12. Markswift2003

I do the same - just pull the power. The reboot in the interface is a software reboot, but I prefer the old fashioned way - no harm in either.

rozel likes this.
  13. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Thank you

14. Klangfarben

Klangfarben New Member

I'm not encountering any issues with DSD 64/128 playback with the Z8. I have yet to try DSD 256 files but will do so shortly.

I don't have any PCM files above 192 KHz to test. I'm not upsampling either. Perhaps this is a defect with your specific unit?

Just a couple questions. Are you getting the noise with both the USB B and C inputs on the Z8? Also, have you tried DSD playback on another device plugged into the Z8 such as your phone? Those might help narrow down whether the issue is related to the Z8 or if other factors might be involved.

0rangutan likes this.
  15. rozel

rozel Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't use the USB C input, just the USB B. However I connect 2 DACs, the Z8 of course from one of the front USB B 2.0 sockets on the Zidoo and a Gustard X-16 similarly from the other. I get absolutely no noise from either no matter what file I play - ie; DSD up to 512 and PCM up to 32/384.

16. Klangfarben

Klangfarben New Member

Right, but we aren't the ones having the noise problem. That was why I was asking Orangutan. Since he is having the issue, maybe it's best he respond.

rozel likes this.
  17. Adrian Nst

Adrian Nst New Member

Hm, wird. I also tried to install the new firmware v1..52 but after installation no change appears in Vu shape, info, etc, maybe i did something wrong .