Zidoo Z9X Pro newbie question

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by BigPug, Oct 9, 2023.

1. BigPug

BigPug New Member

Hello everyone, Im new to this, so please bear with me as I seek some guidance.

I recently purchased two Z9X Pro media players, one for myself and one for my parents. We both have LG C2 TVs.

Up until now, I' have been using TV LED option, but recently saw that Player LED should be enabled instead.
    I have downloaded and installed "full + BT.2020 800nits LLDV" EDID profile.

My question is, does this mean I've correctly set up everything, and should I leave the custom EDID enabled at all times?

I also have another question regarding my recent purchase of a Samsung Q800C soundbar, which is capable of outputting 4K Dolby Vision . I've connected the setup as follows: Zidoo Z9X -> (HDMI 2.1) Q800C -> (HDMI 2.1) EARC port on my LG C2.

However, when I select HDMI 2 on my TV, I'm unable to access my Zidoo player, and the screen remains blank. What could be the issue here?

I am also wondering, I have found out that VS10 LLDV engine is pretty neat watching SDR shows. I have found out that when watching series "Power" blacks are actually "gray", but when intro of the show is rolling blacks are in "true" black color.

I would like to thank all in advance for each insight :)

2. Aleksander.1

Aleksander.1 New Member

Hey

i stumbled across same issue.

Have you found out if using full + BT.2020 800nits LLDV" EDID profile is better than not using any EDID profile? I'm also curious if VS10 LLDV has to be turned on with this EDID profile in order for it to work?

Best regards,
    Aleksander

3. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

With an LG C2 there's no need for a custom EDID unless you have a very specific reason to use one (restricting bandwidth as an example).

Choose either TV Led or Player Led DV depending on which gives you a better image - use a scene you know well if you don't have or don't know how to use test patterns.

TV Led is generally accepted as being "better" but that's not always the case and in all honesty, because the FEL is not used, you'll probably not see any difference.

Is the soundbar connected to HDMI 2?

BigPug likes this.
  4. BigPug

BigPug New Member

Hey, thanks for taking time to reply and help:)

I was only worried because I've read that TV Led doesn't process video as it should and using Player LED I thought I need EDID so player knows maximum nits my TV can achieve.
    Mind me asking one more thing, if i use Dolby Vision Low Latency (LLDV, YUV422, 12bit) is it normal for picture to become a bit "grayish" when watching SDR content? In your opinion, should i just leave this option turned off?

Yes soundbar was connected to the TV hdmi 2 (EARC) . On soundbar's side I was setting it up like this: HDMI (EARC) connected to TV, HDMI (other one on soundbar) linked to Zidoo Z9X Pro device. I have checked settings in Zidoo to see if i could adjust anything but i did not find anything that could help me, and using samsung remote / smart things app I can't fix the issue also.
    If i connect Zidoo and Soundbar seperately to my TV overall everything works perfectly, but I had a problem where I couldn't play movie with DTS audio format if i'm correct.

I think that Markswift2003 just answered to both our questions :)

5. Markswift2003

No, there's a bit of misunderstanding flying around about TV Led on these boxes - yes, the metadata is processed by the player in TV Led, but that doesn't really matter - the whole point of TV Led is in the heavy lifting involved in the recombination of the layers and because that's not needed, it's kind of a moot point.

Bottom line, don't worry about it - set to TV Led and go from there (I think that's what you were doing before?)

For that TV the best setting would be HDR > Auto so everything is native. You can experiment of course and if something else looks better to you, use that - always trust your eyes!

Viewing SDR content mapped to LLDV using VS10 shouldn't result in a grey image. Not sure why that would happen, but as I say, I'd use Auto.

Not sure why it wouldn't work going Zidoo > Soundbar > TV - do you have to select the HDMI input on the soundbar?

(the Samsung probably doesn't support DTS so if connected direct to the TV, despite the soundbar supporting it and despite using eARC, it seems the EDID isn't being passed forward - this is one of the many reasons I hate CEC/ARC/eARC)

BigPug likes this.
  6. BigPug

BigPug New Member

Hey. Sorry for such a slow response.

Awesome, I'll just leave it on TV Led and stop worrying about it.

It's funny when using LLDV VS10, as mentioned on first post when watching Power series, even though black is "gray", when there is intro screen, blacks are pure blacks as they should be.

I'm uncertain what the problem is regarding Samsung's soundbar. Original idea was to link Zidoo trough soundbar so I can play DTS, because sadly my TV isn't capable of DTS pass-trough.
    On Samsung's official website it says audio processing : DTS:X DTS-HD HRA DTS-HD MA DTS Express DTS 5.1ch . It also states that it supports 4k pass-trough.
    It is indeed needed to set to HDMI input on my soundbar, but even when HDMI input is used nothing happens.
    ( I also have TV set to soundbar input but screen remains black, I have also tried swapping HDMI cable for my main one, but screen remains black ).

I would like to add that I'm actually on version v.1.0.48 G on Zidoo Z9X Pro, but i'm uncertain if that could be the main cause of this issue? I'm open to any suggestion.

Thanks for all the help again :)

7. Markswift2003

Do you initially see the Zidoo logo when the box boots up?

BigPug likes this.
  8. BigPug

BigPug New Member

No, I haven't been able to see logo initially.

I took time yesterday and checked for updates on all devices, so I updated my TV and soundbar (firmware came out few days ago for both TV and soundbar),
    and Zidoo device and now it seems to work perfectly. Only thing I have seen is that every-time I turn on soundbar ( for example when playing games) it will force turn on Z9X Pro.
    This is issue with soundbar now and not with Zidoo I think.

But as I checked on the internet Zidoo Z9X Pro power usage is so low on idle that i will just leave it as is.

Thanks again for all the help, it was very much appreciated :)

Best regards.

9. Markswift2003

This is CEC, which in my opinion is the work of the devil and should never be used.

You can turn it off in Zidoo settings and probably in the soundbar (may be called HDMI control or suchlike).

Must admit my test boxes stay on 24/7 too.

BigPug likes this.
  10. BigPug

BigPug New Member

Yeah, HDMI CEC was pain when I used my old soundbar also.

It's interesting that there is no difference if I'm using HDMI-CEC on / off, or if i mess with settings in Zidoo Z9X Pro settings.
    It will force turn on Zidoo every time no matter settings chosen. Even when soundbar is connected to bluetooth and music plays it still forces device to turn on :D
    But just to be sure, i will try to factory reset my Z9X Pro device tomorrow.

Thank you again ^^

11. Markswift2003

This is why it's the work of the devil ;)

If you want to disable CEC completely on a device, you can get one of these:

https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adap...07/hdmi-cec-less-adapter-female-to-male-p7299

CEC is carried on pin 13 and this physically disconnects it.

dr4go, geebolt and BigPug like this.
  12. BigPug

BigPug New Member

Woah thanks for the link :)

Could I ask, so there is basically no point in trying to factory reset Zidoo device if i understand correctly?
    Since Z9X Pro is capable of using HDMI 2.1, should i get CEC-LESS adapter that has HDMI 2.1 interface? Or would CEC-LESS adapter with HDMI 2.0 interface be enough?

13. geebolt

geebolt Member

I have those little devices on most of my sources. The Apple TV is notorious for causing problems even when CEC is turned off. One of those cured it completely. I also have one on my Xbox, Nvidia Shield and Z2600.
    I've read where some have actually removed the connector for pin 13 from the cable connector but that looks way to difficult to me.

BigPug likes this.
  14. Markswift2003

HDMI 2.0 would be fine - the HDMI hardware standard itself hasn't changed: HDMI 1.4 = HDMI 2.0 = HDMI 2.1 as far as the actual hardware goes. As long as it disconnects pin13 and passes all others pins it'll work just fine.

BigPug likes this.
  15. BigPug

BigPug New Member

Hey thank you both :) I have went to pickup CEC-LESS adapter in the morning and it works perfectly, all problems solved

I really wish you all the best, have a nice weekend going forward ;)

geebolt and Markswift2003 like this.