Zidoo Z9X issue with DSD or 176.4Khz FLAC files

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by TheSnodger, Nov 4, 2021.

1. TheSnodger

TheSnodger New Member

Hi there,

I have had my Z9X for a couple of weeks now and mostly it's really good. The one issue I have is playback of DSD files (or 176.4Khz FLACs). I have my audio setup to play HDMI RAW and to output the same bitrate as the original in the settings.

If I try to play back either a native stereo DSD file or a 176.4Khz FLAC using MP6 from either my NAS or with a directly attached SSD I get some very odd playback behaviour. I get about 2 seconds of audio, followed by another 2 seconds of silence or low-level noise, then it just keeps on doing this throughout the track.
    I at first thought it was because the device couldn't cope doing the DSD>PCM conversion on the fly but then I converted all my DSD files to stereo FLAC at 176.4Khz and the playback is exactly the same.
    MCH DSD files do not play at all.

My reciever shows stereo 176.4 input when it is trying to play these files. I've tried changing HDMI cables and this has made no difference at all. I can play these files no issue using a PC and JRiver.

However if I play 24-bit 192Khz files they play absolutely fine.

Converted my DSD files to stereo 88.1Khz and multi-channel 88.1Khz FLACs and they all play fine.

Does the chipset have an inherint issue with 176.2Khz files or am I doing something wrong?

Does anybody know if this is an issue with the Dune players based on the same chipset or even other models in the Zidoo range?

Also, is there an offical feature request area? I'd really like to see MP support ATMOS and DTS-HD files ripped from blu-ray.

Looking forward to your feedback! Thanks

2. muha

muha Active Member

MP V6.9.78 on Z10 Pro
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue HD 192/24
    and Pink Floyd - the Dark Side of the Moon DSD 128
    RAW output with Original Sample Rate - no problems whatsoever.

Why converting to 176.4Khz?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021
  3. TheSnodger

TheSnodger New Member

176.4Khz appears to be the default DSD>PCM conversion rate on the Zidoo when outputting over HDMI. My guess is that the Zidoo determines that my reciever can do up to 192Khz from the EDID and then sets the DSD conversion rate to 176.4Khz (as it's half of 352.8Khz). I think in JRiver it defaults at 352.8Khz doing DSD>PCM but most recievers and DACs can't go this high so I set it to 176.4Khz when using JRiver.

Are you doing DSD>PCM or Native DSD via some other output?

Thanks.

4. muha

muha Active Member

Native for USB but I don't use it.
    @Nice Monkey can clarify what is wrong. I think that it is frequency rate. Doesn't sound uniform to me.

Why don't you set 192khz when converting to flac and see what happens?

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

From FW 6.3.12 up the following conversions are made with Sampling rate-control set to: Native output
    DSD64 outputs as 176/24 bit PCM
    DSD128 outputs as 88/24 bit PCM
    DSD256 outputs at 44/24 bit PCM
    This can't be changed with a setting. Native /DoP DSD is supported via USB or using an Internal DAC with HiFi models only. HiFi models also support DSD512 that way.

6. TheSnodger

TheSnodger New Member

I might see if I can find a DSD128 and DSD256 file to test with.

7. maxhim

maxhim Active Member

The 176,4kHz is not too general....

8. TheSnodger

TheSnodger New Member

I can confirm this is the sameplerate output from the Zidoo Z9X when using DSD files of each type.
    However, I think that a recent firmware update on my NAD reciever might be the cause of the issue now. I am investigating this further. Thanks.

muha likes this.