Zidoo Z9X can´t see folders on my Synology NAS

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Tom Savini, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Tom Savini

Tom Savini New Member

Hello all,

I have a NAS, a Synology DS1812.
    I have ripped some movies, and I have used a Nvidia Shield pro (with Kodi) and an Apple TV 4K (with Infuse) to watch the movies.
    It is working just fine, no problems.

A friend of mine told me about the Zidoo Z9X, som I bought one to test. See if there was anny differences.

The problem is that I can't see my NAS folders on the Zidoo.
    I found the attatched pdf-file.
    I did follow it. It didn't make any difference.
    I tried both SMB and NFS.
    There was no problem for mye Zidoo finding/logging to my NAS. I did enter the username and password, no errors.
    I can see the NAS (in sources), but when I press enter, I can't see any folders, all I see is an arrow and "Back".
    Software on the Z9X and NAS is updated. I have tried restarting the NAS and the Zidoo.
    If I choose the folder on NFS I do get an "Unknown error".
    I restartet the switch that the Synology NAS and the Zidoo is connected to.

Has anyone seen this problem before?

In advance, thanks a lot View attachment 13710

Attached Files:

2. JohnG

JohnG Member

Tom, to start let's confirm that you have created some Folders on your NAS, and that the NAS is visible on your local Network. From the screen shots, it appears that your NAS is on your local network and the Zidoo sees your NAS. When you see the "Back" arrow, ignore it. Instead toggle down and select the bottom icon. If I recall, that is your Samba connection. Select it and it should open to the folders on your NAS. You'll still need to select the folder that stores your media. Once you've opened that folder, select it and that should Add the folder contents to your Zidoo. I'm away from my Zidoo at the moment but will try to confirm the steps later today. Hang in there. I have 2 Synology NAS boxes that are used to store media files. The Z9x and Z9x Pro identifies both of them.

Tom Savini likes this.
  3. Tom Savini

Tom Savini New Member

Hello JohnG,

First of all: thank you very, very much for taking interest in this.
    Very nice of you.

Yes, folders on my NAS are created.
    When I use my Apple TV and the Shield I can see all my folders, and I can stream content (using SMB).
    So, it is visible on the local network.
    I can see it on my Widows 11 PC as well. I see all the folders, works fine.

On the Zidoo I open the Media Center.
    I open the menu on the left, and choose SMB. From there, I can see my NAS.
    At the bottom of the screen it says Host: DS1812, smb://DS1818/ and Ip address 192.168.10.146.

When I press ok on DS1812 I do get the picture above, the one that says ALL/SMB/DS1812, and the arrow/back.
    When I see the arrow and back. I tried pressing the down button (and the up/right.
    Nothing happens.
    The only thing I can do is press ok. That takes me back to the SMB sources.

I did follow the PDF manual posted above here.

Again, thanks for the help Sir

4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

So the Zidoo sees the NAS but not the shares?

Got to be a permissions issue - I guess you're using the Admin credentials to logo on from the Zidoo? For some reason the NAS isn't allowing the Zidoo to log in to the shares under those credentials.

Try creating a new user on the NAS - "Zidoo" for example - and apply read/write permissions to that user for the share(s) you want the Zidoo to access. Or provide anonymous access to the share(s).

To access the NAS with the new user or as Anonymous, you'll probably need to logo off the NAS on the Zidoo first (press "menu" or right arrow):

upload_2024-1-8_16-21-18.png

upload_2024-1-8_16-22-11.png

upload_2024-1-8_16-21-51.png

Tom Savini likes this.
  5. Tom Savini

Tom Savini New Member

@Markswift2003 @JohnG
    Thank you Very much for the input.

Mark, I allready tried it, didn´t help.
    Thanks for the input though :)

Well, hey - I am noe a happy man!
    The problem is solved. Strange, but it is solved!

I had an idea: enter the ip/folder on the NAS instead using the search SMB-option.
    I entered the IP/nas foldername, username and passord - then it worked perfect!
    Happy me.

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Awesome! Glad it's sorted :)

Tom Savini likes this.